83%
No
17%

Total votes: 6

Dragonball1080
Senpai - Elder

What do you think????

Post by Dragonball1080 »

I want to know what all of you think about the anime dvds on ebay, almost all of them are pirated copies from ebay, what do you think about them?? normally the sets would sell for atleast twice the amount, but since they are pirated they are way cheaper, there isnt really any flaws in them, except occasionally some of the subs get cut off and they mis-spell words, so I want to know, do you or dont you buy them?
~~~~> the pirated ones usually have chinese/english subs and come from hong kong
Juunana_Gou
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Juunana_Gou »

I do buy them, but only for anime that is near impossible to find, because some anime is SO hard to find that is official, it is way more convenient to just buy the Bootlegs, because a lot of bootlegs are good, over half of my DVD collection consists of Bootleg (or "Unofficially released" DVD's) and I have only had a problem with one disc, the sound was delayed for a second or two. (But I just bought the Official disc when I found it :D ).
But one thing I REALLY like about Bootlegs is, most ONLY have Japanese Dialogue! I love That! Because I dread the English audio, and for some reason mine always sticks on English even if I set it to Japanese >_< (I even set "Japanese" Audio in the Options/menu) And one Thinh I HATE about Bootlegs is they have NO EXTRA FEATURES! Because only the Official ones have "extra's". So there is a Good, and a Bad.
I don't find anything wrong with them, some people may have had a bad experience with them, but I haven't had a bad enough experience with one to shy me away from them, and I like mine. =)
"I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, With a bullet called life, yeah called life,
You know that every time I try to go Where I really want to be, It's already where I am, Cause I'm already there."
Elfstalker
Sushi Ninja

Post by Elfstalker »

I have gotten my VCD's (bootlegs) frm ebay and from other anime sourced. They are all excellent quality, andI love them! I agree, they're mostly Jaanese with subs, just the way I like it.

I get them because the originals haven't come out yet, or it'll be waaaay to expensive for my. DBZ, and Rurouni Kenshin are examples. Over 40 DVD's at $24 each, sheeesh I can't wait that long and pay thousands!!

If the DVD's are in small numbers, then I try to get the originals. I do that with anime soundtracks as well.
"He knows the crimson of rage, and the azure of despair... but his eyes will never change; the purity of white."

Cel Gallery
http://rheytarian.rubberslug.com
Allison
Kamisama - God

Post by Allison »

I buy bootlegs too, I think the only non bootleg series I bought was evangelion. And a few dbz DVDs.
I think its unreasonable to charge $30+ for 3 or 4 episodes, its a rip off and I just cant afford it.
Not to mention it takes forever for anime to be licensed, dubbed, then finally released on dvd.
If you are going to buy bootlegs I recommend you buy the ones with the pretty fold out cases =P
The ones with cases like this,this, and this have horribly translated subtitles, I'd stay away from those. (unfortunately I didn't know this before hand)
There are also a few "perfect collections" that include the English dub's.
Trigun, and cowboy bebop to name a few.
There is usually a few flaws, occasional mis-timed subs are the most annoying. Spelling mistakes I can live with. ^_^
Little Poop
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Little Poop »

It depends on each individual title but generally Anime Studio are the crappest.

Manga international are generally very good.

FX tends to release the best sets which tend to also have the english audio as well.

A few titles have the special features as well but off hand i can't remember any. I just tend to go for the ones with english audio like trigun, cowboy bebop, tenchi, ayashi no ceres, vampire hunter D bloodlust, rayearth....

JoJo's bizarre adventure is really good and the subs are pretty good. However the subs from the prequel go a bit crazy with spellings.

Poor Ali got the crappest bebop set. Get the unofficial perfect sessions one. Not quite perfect but as close as u will get. Of course not that i enjoy that series... i totally hate it! =P

"Shut your fool mouth gogeta" DBC 17/05/02
According to surveys, DBC has the sweatiest balls in Betaland.<br>
<kamakazicoke93> do you get horny over any anime-beta members? O_O
Dragonball1080
Senpai - Elder

Post by Dragonball1080 »

Really poop, you hate anime studios ones? I have only bought one from them, but I found it to be quite great, it has japanese/ english dialogue, with japanese/chinese/english subbs, nothing was wrong with it
glorff
Himajin - Get A Life

Fansubs,Other regions,Import,"Deluxe Boxsets"

Post by glorff »

Other than American versions there are basically four types of discs of anime on eBay
Fansubs are the only true pirates, but the real fansubbers stop selling them as soon as they are licensed. Since most of these are new series the quality is very good(if you can play VCDs) and the subtittles are usually very good. A great value.
Region 2&3 copies usually dont have english subs but sometimes it is the only way you can get something.You also need a non region player to play them
Import copies usually come from Japan,Hong Kong or Singapore. Quality varies from near perfect to lousy. Subtitles can be something that vaguely resembles second grade english. The price on these is reasonable to expand a collectionbut you will want your favorites in a better format.
"Deluxe Boxsets are almost always exceptional, but not always. The best ones(in my opinion) put 7-9 episodes on a disc with the intro and closing credits on each disc only once. This makes them a pleasure to watch. They usually sell for about $.80-$1.00 per episode which makes them the best deal out there. To start check out a respected dealed like floraxx untill you get to know the ropes better then improvise.
I personally have thousands of episodes, but I also have hundreds of episodes that I have replaced/upgraded.
Hope this isn't too longwinded,but I know this a lot better than I know cells or computers :D
Dave

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.
Dragonball1080
Senpai - Elder

Post by Dragonball1080 »

personally I have found the following 3 people to sell good items, floraxxchan as glorff said, hehehaha_dvd, and parn-ster, the dvds I have got from them have all been great, and I would buy from again, personally I dont buy vcds( except dbz as it would take me forever to convert) I just convert them myself, but I have also found them to be quite great
glorff
Himajin - Get A Life

Bargains

Post by glorff »

If you want to dig for bargains, check out stiller66 on the weekends. Everything he sells starts at a low opening and sometimes there are some real bargains there, plus cheap shipping :D :D :D
Dave

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.
Echo
Senpai - Elder
Location: The tractor ridin', beer totin', shotgun firin' capital of the world..

Post by Echo »

Oooh I'm so happy this topic was posted. I've been wondering the same thing as I've been looking to purchase some DVDs...I just can't afford to purchase the officially released ones at the moment (I hope I get a job soon :cry: :cry: )
Dragonball1080
Senpai - Elder

Post by Dragonball1080 »

Myers, I agree, official ones are bunk ass shit, I got all Yu-Gi-Oh eps for the price that 1 normal dvd cost, and Glorff, are you sure that stiller66 is the person you are talking about? I looked on ebay and he has like 4 feedback and hasnt really been selling anything
Little Poop
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Little Poop »

DB1080: You're right about the anime studio rips which have the english dub which i love - everyone else hates english dubs.. but i can't read! =D

But usually they are just one volume like US releases. And i am so cheapskate u wouldn't believe so i tend to get the whole series. The Anime Studio Rayearth is cool tho as it has the english audio & comes in 2 sets.

Florachanxxx is prob the best seller on ebay. The one with four X's is just trying to cash in on that id tho. =P

"Shut your fool mouth gogeta" DBC 17/05/02
According to surveys, DBC has the sweatiest balls in Betaland.<br>
<kamakazicoke93> do you get horny over any anime-beta members? O_O
Echo
Senpai - Elder
Location: The tractor ridin', beer totin', shotgun firin' capital of the world..

Post by Echo »

Little Poop wrote:Florachanxxx is prob the best seller on ebay. The one with four X's is just trying to cash in on that id tho. =P
OMG there's two of them??!! A good thing to know..I've been watching those auctions lately....I know I've been looking at some of Florachan's, can't remember though if it was flora X^3 or X^4...hmm... :evil: :evil:

(these new emoticons are too cute :P )
Dragonball1080
Senpai - Elder

Post by Dragonball1080 »

Poop, I checked, and I didnt really see any dvds for the one with four xxxx's but maybe I am wrong, but whatever, thank god for bootlegs, thats all I gotta say 8O