Does artwork exist for Chrono Trigger? Plus Xenogears flame!

Topics on video games and platforms
Sugarflower
Senpai - Elder

Does artwork exist for Chrono Trigger? Plus Xenogears flame!

Post by Sugarflower »

Has anyone seen anything like this for the game Chrono Trigger?
Since it was released years ago on the PS1 I thought maybe there were some sketches and/or settings made for the animated sequences that were in the game. I search YJ almost every day looking for anything like this with no finds so far.

On another note, I feel like I gotta flame a little bit. I bought some character settings a few months back from Xenogears (another game I love dearly), but I'm VERY skeptical about the authenticity of them. I really believe the seller made copies and is selling them on YJ claming them to be actual production copies. My copies are 'brand new', not one single crease, dirt smudge, no scribbles or writings, nothing! They were crisp and clean papers plus the picture quality on them are low IMO, meaning they look as though they were copied from copies. I paid almost $100 for them with deputy service fees included. After winning them, the very next day the seller placed the exact same settings for sell again! Then I thought, was this guy ripping me off, was he re-selling the item I just bought and I won't receive it? So I contacted Rinkya and asked if they could look into this since I thought something was fishy but they replied telling me that I was going to get what I paid for and most likely the seller had multiple copies of the game settings for sale, sorry but YEAH RIGHT, sure, multiple copies. This is the only time I have ever felt ripped off on a YJ auction. If anyone can prove me wrong on my theory, please let me know so I can feel some comfort. Maybe I should have purchased the Xenogears Perfect Works artbook instead. At least I could then view the artwork much more clearer than those horrible settings I have now. /sob
Thanks for reading.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

You really do? Just because you believe it doesn't make it true.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
RahOtaku
Kamisama - God

Post by RahOtaku »

I wish I could find some Chrono Trigger art! I've had no luck either...

Even though, I bet it would be expensive.

I've bought maybe 5 sets of Settings from Yahoo Japan. (lol... sets of settings) :yay

All of them has netted around 100-250 usd each.

And I've bought Settings from Mandarake.

The settings from Mandarake all costed more. to say the least.

All the settings I've bought from Yahoo J have been lower quality and has no markings. More than likely all of them are copies of copies.

If you want to buy Genuine Office used Settings then you should look on mandarake. Be warned they do cost more. /wah

Ahhh... How cute!!! :cat Image
Magical Kitty Transformation!
Not Sir Phobos
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by Not Sir Phobos »

The same thing happened to my wife, She used a deputy service and got a perfect stack of photocopies. They were even shrinkwrapped. We posted here and found that it's not all that uncommon. Buyer beware and buyer be wary!
God's in his heaven, All's right with the world
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

I never noticed that similarity.
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Sugarflower
Senpai - Elder

Post by Sugarflower »

It's a shame that pplz selling copies like that. Seems as though they are doing it just to make money by scamming buyers. What a shame. That's exactly how I feel, that I got scammed.

I think I will try Mandarake next time since I have seen alot of auctions that look like original copies. Thanks everyone!
klet
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by klet »

Nope, people making and selling copies isn't all that uncommon. I bought some copies of cels once. X| Luckily I didn't pay anywhere near $100, but still, it really bites.

The worst part was, I didn't translate or even really look at the auction before bidding--if I had, then I would have realized that they weren't selling actual cels. It said "copy" right on the auction--it was in katakana, of course, but I can read that. :cry:

I've never seen any Chrono Trigger/Cross artwork, but then again I don't actively look. I did see some Xenosaga storyboards on Mandrake a while back, but I'm not really into collecting artwork from shows/games I can't get cels from.
Rekka Alexiel
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

Get Xenogears the Perfect Works. You won't be disappointed. I've seen it sold on auction several times for WAAAAAY more than what it's worth... I bought it in Nagoya for around $20 in the bookstore.
Marauder
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Marauder »

On ebay a while ago, a Japanese seller posted some original paintings from Chrono Trigger that he claimed were done by Toriyama himself. While I chatted with him over e-mail for a while, I couldn't figure out if they were copies or not (and whether Toriyama did them himself is questionable also, of course). In the end, for $500 each, I didn't want to risk it... but if they were real.... X|

There's a short thread buried on Animanga if you care to research more.
Snakeskii
Kamisama - God

Post by Snakeskii »

I also bought a set of the Xenogears settei that was on YJ. Generally for me, copies are copies...but it sucks that yours are low quality. I haven't gotten mine in yet so I don't know what the quality might be like. 8O

The only reason I buy settei from a show is because I can't find enough artwork from it to suit me. Having the character designs from the anime portions of the game at my command makes me pretty darn happy, and they are really great for making fan cels.

And Perfect Works is pretty darn cool, I just wish I could read the darn thing. :P

::contemplates stealing Minion's Bart cel for the millionth time:: :dlook
HotIce
Senpai - Elder

Post by HotIce »

I've been looking for Chrono Trigger cels for a long long time. Along my search once I found a guy claiming to have cels from the ChronoTrigger movie thingie... but they didn't look real to me for some reason. =\
Sugarflower
Senpai - Elder

Post by Sugarflower »

Snakeskii wrote:I also bought a set of the Xenogears settei that was on YJ. Generally for me, copies are copies...but it sucks that yours are low quality. I haven't gotten mine in yet so I don't know what the quality might be like. 8O
The ones I purchased had a buy it now bid at 6,900yen then relisted for the same starting bid the next day. A few weeks later I saw another set for sale for around 4,000yen starting bid. Would you mind letting me what the quality of your set is like when you get it? Eventually I plan take some pix of my set and add them to my gallery. I really do feel the quality is poor and was expecting it to be more clearer and crisp than it actually is. Especially the smaller pix of characters look horrible.
Sugarflower
Senpai - Elder

Post by Sugarflower »

Damn, sellers are at it again. :evil: I see 2 sellers selling settings again for Xenogears. This is the same seller who is selling an exact same copy of the setting that I won with crappy clarity (at least mine were). http://www.rinkya.com/twview.pl?URL=htt ... n/80601193 So thought I'd just warn anyone out there if they became interested in buying this. Sorry to flame but I just don't want anyone else feeling ripped off like I do. I recommend saving your money for the Perfect Works artbook instead. Wish I had.

If by chance Kittens or anyone else who knows japanese reads this post would you mind reading the auction and post the description for the settings or PM me? The auction I won had translated as 'actually production copies used in the studio' but I would like to know for sure if that is what this auction states. :l

By the way, Snakeskii did you happen to get your copies yet?
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

I will take that under advisement.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
RahOtaku
Kamisama - God

Post by RahOtaku »

It's probably what it says...

But how are you going to prove that the studio didn't have a real lousy copier and that they didn't give the seller 20 copies.

On those drawings you just have to be careful.

Ahhh... How cute!!! :cat Image
Magical Kitty Transformation!