Silent Hill 2

Topics on video games and platforms
Penguinton
Kishin - Fierce God

Silent Hill 2

Post by Penguinton »

I just beat Silent Hill 2...and all I can say is "Wow...that was terrible!" That could be the worst video game I've played in a LONG time. Besides being annoyingly easy the story was predictiable to a huge fault AND then it didn't explain random things. :? Actually come to think of it it didn't explain anything. And I didn't like James, the main character, at all...although he had nice boots. (Magic boots. Fifty handgun bullets can't kill a monster but a kick to the head kills EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME! And then our insanely dumb hero thinks its a good idea to jump in holes that he can't see the bottom too. But don't worry he's wearing super boots! He'll land on them and NEVER be hurt or break a bone! Even mario's boots don't do that.) Then they added random characters for seemingly no reason whatsoever. They didn't add to the plot or really have anything useful to say other than hinting at the soon to be obvious "plot twist." :x Ugh I think I paid WAY too much for it. :l I'm so dissapointed. I loved Silent Hill 3 for the story and how stupid, a good innocent stupid, the main character was. She made me feel very intelligent. And she had to fight, get this, scary AND challenging monsters! Pyramid Head (yeah thats the scariest thing they could think up! Some guy with a weird redish triangle thingy on his head. OooOoo petrifing!) is a loser! Give some loon who doesn't wear shoes named Claudia any day of the week. Oh did I mention that the last boss of SH2 greatest attack that was used on me was...a flock of butterflies... :x This was suppose to be the scariest game ever made?! Butterflies?! Pyramids?! WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!!!!! Why do people like this piece of crap?!!!!!! The controls are horrid like all horror games. The graphics...were definatly great for its time but only okay nowadays. The story was just plain shameful!!! Oh and theres like six enemy types and thats inculding bosses. And most of the game is wandering around looking for a open door outside in fog so thick you can only see five steps in front of you or looking for a key to open a door so you can get a key to open the door which'll let you get an item that lets you open something to get a key so you can see a cutscene that'll let you know where your heading next. But wait. The door to the next area is LOCKED! X| So its back to finding a key. Then latter in the game I was givin the most stupid task given to me in a video game. Rowing a boat to the other side of the lake. Why? There was nothing to fight along the way, there was no cutscene, nothing important happened whatsoever. Just rowing...for like seven minutes. Very slowly...for awhile I thought I wasn't even moving. You can't see anything because of the fog. And the repeat animation of the water made it look like I wasn't going anywhere. You can only go forward. Turning seemed impossible. I was about to turn of the system thinking it froze but luckly I noticed a light up ahead which wasn't there before. So I was moving. AMAZING! 8O Why couldn't they just show James get in the boat and row then have him appear on the other side like MOST video games?!!!!! Was that what they thought was variety of gameplay or something? :evil:

Oh wait I know. The fanboys/girls will tell me all about the symbolism of the butterflies. And how the unneeded retarded/crazy characters were somehow needed in the plot to symbolize the characters growth? Oh and rowing th boat was very much needed to show that James is thinking about the events that occured or something. Or how random stuff like how every dead body looks like your character is meaningful not that the animators were lazy. Yeah right! this was the worse game i've played in years. Theres no excuse for this. Amazingly I heard that not only is this supposedly the scariest game of all time but also this is suppose to be the best game in the franchise. I've heard this from various game mags, sites, and other gamers. Man I can't believe I wasted my time on this stinking load of crap! 7 hours of my life i'll never get back...I thought like most horror type games that they're would be a huge plot twist and the story would get better. Horror games never have good controlls but the storys are usually fantastic and scary. This was just plain bad all around I kinda feel ashamed I played that... :cry:

And thats my rant. :^^: Thanks for reading. :) I suppose if your a fan of the series and didn't play it already just beware. Everyone else STAY AWAY BAD GAME! BAD BAD GAME! :wack And if you do love the game please explain why because I just don't get it. /hmm Sorry.
Mat4226
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by Mat4226 »

Wow, that was quite a rant. I've not played Silent Hill 2 all the way through, but I can say I didn't like what I did play of it.

Have you watched the Escapist by chance? This gentleman has some awesome video game reviews that you need to check out if you already haven't.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... unctuation
Penguinton
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Penguinton »

Yeah don't bother continuing the game it doesn't get better. Only worse.

Hey thanks for the link. His reviews are hilarious. :D
Startyde
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Startyde »

I try to take the high road and not sound snobbish, but man, if Silent Hill 2 is one of the worst games you've ever played, it sounds like you have very specific taste or not enough exposure to pure garbage.

May I suggest:

Sentient (PS1)
Aquanauts (PS1)
Yaris (XBL)
Castlevania 64
Criticom (Saturn)
Contra: Legacy of War (PS1)
PYST (PC) ( I paid litterally a penny and was still ripped off)
Daikatana (PC)
ET (Atari) (I have to be genuine, and admit I have not played ET, but I just...just can't justify picking it up...and my friend who OWNS it, well...his sobs still haunt my dreams)

So in short, Silent Hill 2, like many games, are f'n amazing by proxy...
"I actually really liked that game till it caught a blaze ha." - WhiteTrashShayno on Teleroboxer
Captain Haddock
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Captain Haddock »

I agree with Startyde, I've played some of Silent Hill 2 and by comparison to alot of games I've played it's middling.

If you really want to experience bad you could follow Starytyde's advice or altenitively buy a MegaCD (one of Sega's many flop consoles) and play Road Avenger. That game raises, or lowers as the case may be, the bar on crapulance :flushie.
RalphVboy
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by RalphVboy »

Y'all are forgetting the masterpiece that was the l33t "3D0" console. The Daedalus Encounter, anyone? :P

And for the record, I actually enjoyed Castlevania 64...well atleast parts of it, like the running around the maze of hedges with that chain-saw freak chasing you :rollin

- RalphVBoy
Startyde
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Startyde »

RalphVboy wrote:And for the record, I actually enjoyed Castlevania 64...well atleast parts of it, like the running around the maze of hedges with that chain-saw freak chasing you :rollin

- RalphVBoy
I tried to convince myself I liked CV64 when I first bought it, but nope...I can't lie to myself. Game was terrible, and perhaps I treat it so harshly because I consider SotN to be one of the best games ever released. Shows what happens when you mess with perfection (Megaman, I'm looking at you...)
"I actually really liked that game till it caught a blaze ha." - WhiteTrashShayno on Teleroboxer
Penguinton
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Penguinton »

I try to take the high road and not sound snobbish, but man, if Silent Hill 2 is one of the worst games you've ever played, it sounds like you have very specific taste or not enough exposure to pure garbage.
Thats not really being snobbish. But it is one of the worse games i've played in the last few years. I have played worse of course like Jaws for the Nes and Ehrgeiz for the ps1. But SH2 is incredible bad for a PS2 game. But I am quite picky about games I buy and usually am able to decide if i'll enjoy the purchase before I lay down my hard earned cash. This went under my rader and I'm kicking myself for buying it. :x

So in short, Silent Hill 2, like many games, are f'n amazing by proxy...
But thats not really defending it. All the titles you named were on past consoles. Well actually I have no idea how old the PC games because I can't play them on my computer so I never pay attention to the games that come out for it. But nevertheless games should have gotten better over time. And this seemed to have taken a few steps backwards. For example SH1 is scarier with a better story than the second one. And thats obviously a bad thing. Plus EVERYTHING looks good when you compare it to E.T. for the atari. It kinda like saying dirt smells decent compared to dog crap. Both smell bad.

If you really want to experience bad you could follow Starytyde's advice or altenitively buy a MegaCD (one of Sega's many flop consoles) and play Road Avenger.
No thanks. I think i'm done with bad games for awhile. Hopefully at least. :hurt: Although thanks for the suggestion. But I'd rather play competent games than flops.

And for the record, I actually enjoyed Castlevania 64...well atleast parts of it, like the running around the maze of hedges with that chain-saw freak chasing you
I rather enjoyed it too. It had its moments. :^^:
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

You believe that? What will you be doing now?
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Penguinton
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Penguinton »

Selling the SH2 back to the store for some other poor soul to pick up and be tormented.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

I think I need a deeper algorithm.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Startyde
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Startyde »

Man, first you trash SH2, and now you drag Ehrgeiz into the fray. All I have to say is, GOOD DAY 2 U KIND SIR...

:P