Help with Gears of War online Co-Op

Topics on video games and platforms
HotIce
Senpai - Elder

Help with Gears of War online Co-Op

Post by HotIce »

okay.. so my bro and I both have gears b/c we want to play online together. However we cannot connect together through this game. Either Co-op or mulitplayer.

we've tried:

-me starting a game and inviting
-me 'hosting' a private game and inviting
-me 'hosting' a public game and inviting
-me 'hosting' a public game and him finding me
-him starting a game and inviting
-him 'hosting' a private game and inviting
-him 'hosting a public game and inviting
-him 'hosting' a public game and me finding him
-him getting/trying a new gold account and that didn't work either
-I can connect to someone else and play
-he can connect to someone else and play (though he says he has connection issues sometimes, but again, just with this game)

What we don't understand is that he and I can play COD4, and NCAA09 together just fine online, but with this it just doesn't work. I'm assuming its something on his end. We've read where sometimes it has to do with updating the routers/modems firmware, and he's trying that now. But does anyone here know anything else to try?

<edit> Firmware update did -NOT- work either. >_<
Last edited by HotIce on Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
beatrush
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by beatrush »

Try adding each other as a prefered player

Where are yuo two located, I know sometimes people from east and west coast have problems connecting with each other.
HotIce
Senpai - Elder

Post by HotIce »

Hi beatrush, thank you for the response. :). My brother and I have made each other preferred players, still with no luck amd we live in the same state only about 2.5hrs away. We both use RoadRunner for our internet access too. It's just so strange that it just seems to be Gears, and not COD4 or NCAA09... really weird, and really sucks.
grEenLeaFx
Kamisama - God

Post by grEenLeaFx »

Go to the Xbox Live Dashboard and go to the System screen all the way to the right. Click on Network Settings, then Test Xbox Live Connection. Both of you do it and see what it says on the NAT test. The NAT should be Open, but if it says Private or Closed that is the problem. Just change it to Open. This 'usually' happens when someone has a wireless internet connection on Xbox Live.

If that doesn't work and someone is using a wireless connection have them instead switch to a regular ethernet cable and connect it to the Xbox. Then try linking up again.

Hope that will fix the problem.
HotIce
Senpai - Elder

Post by HotIce »

Hiya Greenleafx, thank you for your response. I forgot to put in the first post that we both have open NATs, and we have both tried connecting our xboxes directly to cable modem, with no luck.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Thats okay I forget things all the time.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Xelloss
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Xelloss »

Have you tried any other game?
HotIce
Senpai - Elder

Post by HotIce »

Heya Xellos, thank you for your response. We had tried other games, as we could play COD4 and NCAA online, but when we tried Gears it wouldn't work, then Too Human wouldn't work either.

Bro and I got it figured out RIGHT before I left work work today, and for anyone else who has tried everything I stated, including manually opening up the ports for your Xbox... then whatever else. (I seriously don't remember everything my brother and I tried).

The solution to the problem was emptying out the cache for the 360.

I have no idea why I never thought of that, I know about doing it for computers, heck I just did mine not that long ago. I feel rather dumb for not thinking the xbox may have a cache to empty.
HotIce
Senpai - Elder

Post by HotIce »

Well emptying the cache worked for about 24hrs now, and now my brother and I are both back in the same boat... we can connect to other people but not each other. Even when both of us both have our 360's directly connected to our cable modems.