Xbox Xmas list - hearing impaired friendly?

Topics on video games and platforms
Xelloss
Kishin - Fierce God

Xbox Xmas list - hearing impaired friendly?

Post by Xelloss »

I've been avoiding picking up games for awhile due to both time and so I'd have something to ask for at Xmas. I've already got gears 2 on order and fable 2, and am wondering if anyone has any other suggestions of good games out within the last year, or has opinions of those on this list:

Tales of Vesperia
Sonic Unleashed
Dead Space
Left 4 Dead
Grand Theft Auto VI

Those who've played these before, are they hearing-impaired friendly? Is it possible to play the game with no sound? A lot of games aren't, which is why I had to give up on several, like Assassin's Creed.

Thanks ^^

- Karen
RalphVboy
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by RalphVboy »

I'd definently recommend Dead Space, it's incredibly fun as well as hearing-impaired friendly. You have the option to have subtitles on and they show up during all dialouge, be it cut-scenes or real-time gameplay. So even if you're running around shooting aliens or completing a task and someone's talking, you'll always be able to read what they're saying. The only time where sound can come into play is when trying to locate the necromorphs that are "off-screen", because their screams can help give away their positions. Besides that though, it's a game you should be able to play and enjoy totally without sound ^__^

- RalphVboy
MidniteKitten
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by MidniteKitten »

My boyfriend has Left 4 Dead and we play it now and then. While its not the most hearing impaired friendly (certain zombies make sounds specific to them to warn they're around) I think it may be playable, only a bit more suprising as you have not much warning.

The other cons would be that the game has a relatively short "story" mode and is most fun when played with friends (or if you have Live then with people online). Hope that helps still definitely one of the best zombie games I've seen
Killua
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Killua »

I second Ralph on Dead Space. It's an incredible game, and I think you could easily enjoy it without the sound.
Startyde
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Startyde »

Though I agree with the Dead Space = awesome sentiment, playing Survival Horror with little or no sound is like playing a Racing Game where you never leave the garage. Take away the atmosphere and you loose half the experience.

I would go for Lost Odyssey. A good RPG always fits the bill (though now I have to remember if it has subs. And if you've somehow missed Mass Effect (unlikely) it should be at the top of that list.
"I actually really liked that game till it caught a blaze ha." - WhiteTrashShayno on Teleroboxer
Xelloss
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Xelloss »

Startyde wrote:Though I agree with the Dead Space = awesome sentiment, playing Survival Horror with little or no sound is like playing a Racing Game where you never leave the garage. Take away the atmosphere and you loose half the experience.

I would go for Lost Odyssey. A good RPG always fits the bill (though now I have to remember if it has subs. And if you've somehow missed Mass Effect (unlikely) it should be at the top of that list.
I already have both Lost Odyssey and Mass Effect. I'm not expecting the game experience to be perfect, I just want to make sure it's theoretically possible to play. Assasin's Creed, for example, all missions are given orally with no captions. So I've no clue what I'm supposed to be doing.

For a total flip-side, Portal:Still Alive is fully closed captioned, including sound effects. I so love that game.

Any other suggestions, anyone?

Thanks for all the feedback!

- Karen
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Compare that to a bad RPG always fits the bill though now he or she have to remember if it has subs. Is that among the best things you can say?
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)