Console Comparison Advice Please

Topics on video games and platforms
Startyde
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Startyde »

To be fair, I have to also jump in and give props to MS Customer Service. They were friendly, efficient and had a quick turn around to get me the system back. So no complaints there. However, I was on the phone with them so often it felt like a relationship.
"I actually really liked that game till it caught a blaze ha." - WhiteTrashShayno on Teleroboxer
RoboFlonne
Uguu...!

Post by RoboFlonne »

I've read online that the new chips in the Xbox 360 Arcades don't Die/Red Ring of death because of the lower voltage on the chips... (and you have 3 year guarantee against Red Ring of Death anyways...)

I'll let you know in 3 years if it's true... lol... Image
Baylor
Snarky Chick

Post by Baylor »

duotrouble wrote: The rule of thumb I've followed based on games I've seen and heard about is this. If you like party games, the Wii is the way to go. If you like RPGs, the PS3 is the way to go. If you like FPS, the X-Box 360 is the way to go.

One final note, every person I personally know (online friends not included) has had to return their X-Box360 at least once. My friend Tim has had to do it 4 times. He said if it broke down again he wasn't going to get a new one. Thank goodness he got the insurance on it. They've had big problems with over heating.
I'm jumping in here DT, as an owner of all three.

Count me as someone you personally know who has NEVER had to return our Xbox. Yes, they have issues, but so does Sony. I know four different people whose PS2s ATE their games and then died from indigestion. As for overheating, we have three cooling fans surrounding our PS3 because it gets so hot, I think it's going to melt the glass shelf. And before you ask, no, we don't have a first gen Sony.

As for RPGs, the Xbox is the way to go. I just wrote a piece about RPGs for the three consoles, and the Xbox has more than twice the amount Sony has, and I'm not counting the multiplatform games.

And as for batteries on the Wii, we've never had an issue with those either, because we have a recharge station. We have recharges set up for all three, because they all eat through batteries quickly except for the Xbox controller, because it will turn itself off if no one is using it.

My best advice before you pick a console is to pick 1) pick a console with a controller you're most comfortable with (even though yes, you can learn all of them) and 2) pick the console with the games you are interested in. I also say don't listen to anyone with bias. Listen to people with their own hands on experience with their console, but don't listen to people saying good or bad about a console they don't personally own.

Good luck shopping!
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

Baylor wrote:Count me as someone you personally know who has NEVER had to return our Xbox.
:rollin I was counting you in the online crowd since I only see you now and again. But okay, you're the one friend I personally know who hasn't. Maybe there are more but they aren't talking. :^^: True, all the systems have their quirks. I've also heard MS Customer Service is pretty good.

Just go with want you want to go with is always my bottom line. Screw what anyone else thinks or says. You're the one who has to live with your choice. :wink:
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
miz ducky
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by miz ducky »

Thank you all for all the input!!

Yoshito:
I actually am Not much of a gamer. Those really are the only games I have played much.

I might even find some nice games to down load and only buy a few physical games.

One thing that hasn't been answered yet.
Can you download songs to play for Rock Band or Guitar Hero on the Wii?
beatrush
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by beatrush »

miz ducky wrote:
Nope, you need to buy track dvds at the moment like this

http://www.amazon.com/Rock-Band-Track-P ... 696&sr=8-1
logorzat
Kamisama - God

Post by logorzat »

I own a Playstation 3, Wii and Xbox 360 and I have to say Xbox 360 is my favorite. It has the widest variety of games out of any system. Unfortunately most of the Wii games are geared to a younger audience or people who aren't traditional gamers. Also I've noticed with the Wii that while at first it's unique controllers seem fun they quickly become tedious when playing certain games. You can't go wrong with the Xbox 360 especially with its online capabilities and Netflix.
Baylor
Snarky Chick

Post by Baylor »

duotrouble wrote:I was counting you in the online crowd since I only see you now and again.
Well that hurts. On the inside.
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

Baylor wrote:Count me as someone you personally know who has NEVER had to return our Xbox. Yes, they have issues, but so does Sony. I know four different people whose PS2s ATE their games and then died from indigestion. As for overheating, we have three cooling fans surrounding our PS3 because it gets so hot, I think it's going to melt the glass shelf. And before you ask, no, we don't have a first gen Sony.
LOL I'm sure you already actually realize this but, trust me... your glass shelf won't melt before the insides of the PS3 do (especially if it's tempered glass).

The important thing with overheating consoles is that you ventilate the area where you keep the console! You can't stuff it into some entertainment center and expect that it won't get hot -- the same thing goes for most of your entertainment and other electronics! Any of them are bound to fail if not properly ventilated.

It's also pretty important to blow the dust out of your consoles (and receivers, etc) -- as this will help prevent dust that accelerates overheating from building up inside. This is especially true if you have pets!
yoshito
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by yoshito »

miz ducky wrote:Thank you all for all the input!!

Yoshito:
I actually am Not much of a gamer. Those really are the only games I have played much.

I might even find some nice games to down load and only buy a few physical games.

Ah ok, that helps then. Honestly I can't really suggest one over the other then considering you just casually game. Like others here suggested, all three could be good for you since they might match up with what you like. Especially since all three have some sort of RPGs for them. The Xbox 360 has more games for it since it has been out the longest. PS3 might be good since you'll be able to play movies and game (and if you get one of the backwards compatible ones, you can play your old PS2 games on it). The Wii is really attractive to casual gamers as well (not to mention it can play Gamecube games, you just have to buy a gamecube memory card and controllers).

I'd suggest that if you choose to get a Xbox 360, you find the Jasper ones (surf the net and there are guides how to read the serial number to find out if you are buying one or an older one). Also Wiki has a nice writeup on the PS3 models that are backwards compatible.
RoboFlonne wrote:I've read online that the new chips in the Xbox 360 Arcades don't Die/Red Ring of death because of the lower voltage on the chips... (and you have 3 year guarantee against Red Ring of Death anyways...)
Not all new Xbox 360 Arcades are the newest chips (the Jasper as I mentioned in my previous post) so you have to be careful. You might actually have the Falcon instead of the Jasper that you are talking about.
Baylor
Snarky Chick

Post by Baylor »

I agree with everything you said, zero! We have our Xbox and PS3 on open shelves outside of the entertainment center for ventilation and help cooling with both systems, although the PS3 needed some extra support.

Btw zero, I love your avatar! I'm playing Disgaea 3 right now!
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

Baylor wrote:Btw zero, I love your avatar! I'm playing Disgaea 3 right now!
Bwahahahaha, thanks! :D

I kinda figured you already knew that, but I mainly posted it in case others didn't realize it. Most modern electronics get incredibly hot if left in an enclosed space and running. I can't tell you how many computers I've repaired that have NEVER been dusted out in their entire lifetimes! (Ouch!)
RoboFlonne
Uguu...!

Post by RoboFlonne »

Final Fantasy 13 is one reason to get an Xbox 360 or PS3 over a Wii...

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3168704

Lol a Gun Sword... Pretty nice! Image

She does look alot like Ash from Final fantasy 12 with a Gun Sword doesn't she? Image

Get a Wii and get fit with Wii Fit! Image
Startyde
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Startyde »

FFXIII Versus is a reason to get the PS3 over anything.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43746.html

It mirrors MGS4 as PS3's killer app.
"I actually really liked that game till it caught a blaze ha." - WhiteTrashShayno on Teleroboxer
Xelloss
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Xelloss »

HotIce wrote: Now price wise, what I would recommend The Wii is the cheapest, then the 360, then the PS3. But each is only cheaper than the other by about $50 retail, so its not "HUGE" difference.

If you want to buy a 360 I would have to say go with the Pro and not the Arcade. The HD is very much needed, and Xbox has made it so the new Arcades are NOT backwards compatible with original xbox games.
Not exactly true. The Arcade Xbox is $50 less than the Wii. Also, throw a hard drive on an Arcade Xbox, and it'll play original xbox games just fine.

- Karen