XB360 Newb Question...

Topics on video games and platforms
Sugarflower
Senpai - Elder

XB360 Newb Question...

Post by Sugarflower »

We just bought a used xb360 that was in mint condition. It's manufacture date is 10-14-2008 so it's not very old. My problem is that I thought I was getting a system with the new chip set however all the info I'm finding online is pointing out that I must have the old Zephyr chip set. The voltage stated on the system is 16.5 amps and the power brick states 203 watts.

I thought systems manufactured after a certain date in 2008 had the newer chip sets. Anyone able to give more info on my system. I'll gladly give more specs if needed.
MidniteKitten
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by MidniteKitten »

As far as I know from fixing mine and my friends xboxes the best way to tell requires you to actually open up the xbox. Now this is possible to do without voiding the warranty sticker but requires some patience because from what you stated the power brick is the old Zephyr's and not the newer Falcons. Its possible the powerbrick isn't the matching brick and the inside of the system is updated. So if your willing to give it a try here is what I've found to be very successful.

1. Pop off the faceplate
2. The 2 gray grates at the top and bottom of the xbox need to be removed, this is a bit tricky. You will need a multiple head "T" sized screwdriver. On the sides of the xbox are little ventilation holes. At the front, middle and back when looking through these holes you'll see what looks like a tab. Poke your screwdriver into the middle of these and push up and pry up on the gate at the front, keep your hand there so it doesn't snap back. Then continue with the middle and then the back. Now the top grate is usually the most difficult especially the last tab. The bottom grate tends to just pop off easily.
3. Onec you have the grates of now you need to remove the warranty sticker if yours is still in tact. You will need a hairdryer and a thin blade. Heat up the sticker evenly and make sure its well heated before delicately sliding the razor into the corner, keep the hairdryer over the blade as you slowly slide all the way to the end. Leave the sticker on the very tip of the blade and place gently aside.
4. This next part is probably the scariest of opening an xbox but believe me, your xbox will not and is not breaking. Pop all the tabs where the face plate was and keep them apart so that its now 2 pieces held together in the back. Take the xbox and lie it flat as you would to use it (dvd drive right side up) and simply pull the top piece all the way back, bending it at the hinges in the back slightly. Keep doing so until it "pops" and pull out.
5. Remove the DVD eject button by lifting up on the rectangle end gently, do not pull as you could break the thin piece holding it along.
6. There will be 8 small screws surrounding an "X" do not undo these. Instead undo all the ones along the perimeter. Once done you will be able to take off the bottom white piece and se the inside of the xbox. Make sure not to touch the "motherboard" unless absolutely necessary, but in your case its not ;)
6. To your right there will be the fans in the back and in front of it something that looks like an air conditionitoning unit minus fans. If your xbox only has one large one, it is a Zephyr unit. If your xbox has the large one and a small length of metal connecting it to a smaller one you have a new Falcon model.

It seems like a lot of trouble to go through to verify your unit is the new Falcon model. To put your unit back together just follow the instructions backwards. The hardest part putting it back together is placing the white pieces back on. This your must start from the back and maneuver into positon then snap closed in back and in front. Don't forget to put the warranty sticker back on. You can touch it with your hands and simply stick it back on without need for heat or anything else!

If someone knows a better way I hope they can help you. If not I hope this helped some ^w^
Xelloss
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Xelloss »

Just curious... what difference does it make? It'll play games just as well. Also, Xbox 360 hardware actually changes constantly... it's reasonable to say that this month's xbox is likely different than last month's, and so on.

I wouldn't worry about it, and don't risk ruining your warranty... because if something does happen to it and they can tell you tampered with it, they won't fix it.

- Karen
MidniteKitten
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by MidniteKitten »

The difference is how easily the units overheat and new DVD drives that don't run into that damned "Insert an Xbox360 Disc" error. Also the fans are quieter and tend to be a bit more powerful hence why it's harder to overheat. Also they're improved from getting the RROD, it still happens, but it isn't the epidemic it was with the first wave of xboxes.
evilgordo
Anime Geek

Post by evilgordo »

I think it depends on the model. Arcades were the first and the most consistent during the holidays and most of these started with 10-23-2008 dates. Pro with Jaspers were very inconsistent. Even now I think they are still a gamble. I don't think any Elites have Jaspers except for special editions (RE5, etc.)

You can I.D. a Jasper without opening up the unit:
Sugarflower
Senpai - Elder

Post by Sugarflower »

It's my first Microsoft console ever and only bought it due to my husband wanting one for streaming media to our tv in the living room. So I'm a bit nervous owning one since I know they can be troublesome. I've read online that depending on the chip set you have on your system may improve its life.
Ryouko
Kamisama - God

Post by Ryouko »

I bought my Pro 360 on Black Friday of last year, and I did not get a Jasper. I heard people had more luck with the Arcade version, though. Do you know what kind of 360 you have?

I know the easiest way to tell a Jasper was by the smaller power box.
Webmistress and owner of Picture Perfect:
http://www.rockman-exe.com/picture.html
http://ryouko.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp
Always looking for high-quality Tamahome, Tasuki or Boshi-twin cels!
Sugarflower
Senpai - Elder

Post by Sugarflower »

Ryouko wrote:I bought my Pro 360 on Black Friday of last year, and I did not get a Jasper. I heard people had more luck with the Arcade version, though. Do you know what kind of 360 you have?

I know the easiest way to tell a Jasper was by the smaller power box.
I was a Pro holiday bundle originally. I would have preferred an Arcade edition but settled on this system since the previous owner only rarely used it and it still looked like it was in new condition. I'm pretty anal about my stuff. :P
evilgordo
Anime Geek

Post by evilgordo »

Have you tried to register it yet? If you can, then you should be able to get it repaired under the 3 year warranty should it RRoD. Problem 360s are pretty much luck of the draw, so in the meantime, enjoy it :D Netflix + 360 is the best combo evar!
Sugarflower
Senpai - Elder

Post by Sugarflower »

evilgordo wrote:Have you tried to register it yet? If you can, then you should be able to get it repaired under the 3 year warranty should it RRoD. Problem 360s are pretty much luck of the draw, so in the meantime, enjoy it :D Netflix + 360 is the best combo evar!
Yes. My husband called Microsoft in hopes to get some info about the system but they said they don't keep that type of info on file. He did register it though so it's still good for the 3 yr. warranty for the red ring. :)