Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles

Topics on video games and platforms
Pomidor
Kishin - Fierce God

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles

Post by Pomidor »

So I bought FF: Crystal Chronicles today. My first FF experiance, and from all that I heard about FF I was rather excited. So I read through the manual, and off I go... only to be met by bitter dissapointment.

It seems that the game was *designed* to be played multiplayer, and not only that but to play multiplayer you need GBAs to use as conrollers. I searched around some of the forums and the general concensous it that the one player game is ok.. but not great. A little cheered up by that, and with a few tips, I star off again... and once again bitter dissapointment awaits me. The controls are so flimsy, its so hard to cast spells and fight when youre alone.. its next to impossible. Casing a spell takes a few seconds.. and then you need another few to position a trageting square on the target... all well and good but if the target happens to be a big goblin with an even bigger sword running towards you, but the time you finish the spell he has hit you three times... because of course you are vulnerable to all attacks while casting. So it was painfully obvious that the game was made so that there is one pernament magic caster and one fighter protecting him. Oh and it turns out that to get the really nice items in the game, the ultimate weapons ect, you *need* to have certain (4 I think) family trades (each character has one family trade) to be maxed out.. which means that even in single player you need at least 4 characters, and need to alternate using them, in order to get those ultimate itmes. What a bloody pain in the ass!!

Anyway Im all bitter at FF now, the graphics and sounds are wonderfull, but so what if its such a pain to play by yourself. I mean how am I going to get 2 or 3 other people (each with their own GBA no less) to come and play regurally at my house?!? Im not in bloody high school anymore! Not to mention that using a GBA as a contoller is just... well... blows. What was Nitnendo thinking.. I mean you would think that releasing a first FF title on its console would be a no brainer... but they managed to screw it up. Makes me feel ashamed to have a GC.. and I went off and bought a PS2 (modified to paly everything ^_^ ) that same day.

Sorry for the long rant, but all in all I would advise you to stay clear of the title unless you do have 1 or 3 other people (with their own GBAs and connection cords) to come and play regurally.

Pomidor
Mr. Yac
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Mr. Yac »

i agree nintendo has been pushing the damn GBA far too often, every game has some little extra that you can only get with a GBA and this needing one to play multiplayer just pisses me off to no end....but just so you know crystal chronicles is nothing like the true final fantasy games out there, this one seems to be much more action and less RPG :)
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

:-) Huh. Interesting deduction. Tell me about crystal chronicles is nothing like the true final fantasy games out there this one seems to be much more action and less RPG.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Pomidor
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pomidor »

Mr. Yac wrote:i agree nintendo has been pushing the damn GBA far too often, every game has some little extra that you can only get with a GBA and this needing one to play multiplayer just pisses me off to no end....but just so you know crystal chronicles is nothing like the true final fantasy games out there, this one seems to be much more action and less RPG :)

Yeah I noticed that too, and I dont mind that too much... but why did theyhave to make the single player experiance such a pain? I dont know how it is in Japan, but seriously how many people have friends come over regularly so you can play a video game? If your under say.. 16.. I can belive that there are quite a few people who do that... but a lot of GC owners are 20+... how many of those people do that.. probably none. I dont mind Nintendo incorperating the GBA into its games... it was actually quite fun and helpfull in Wind Waker, but they have really crossed the line with this, mainly because its either "use a GBA and play with other people" or have a crappy game experiance. It would appear as if Nintendo have trouble selling the GBA, which is not true, because I remember it outsales any other gaming station more then double (after the GBA its the PS2 and then the GC and the XBox), so I have no idea why they need to push the GBA so much... it just gives them a bad image with the diehard fans in my opinion. Anyway they can kiss my tushy now as my modded PS2 is coming on Monday (and a bunch of import games on Tuesday) ^_^

Pomidor
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Umm. I don't know why it happened, but we should try to figure it out.
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
king_tonberry
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by king_tonberry »

Mr. Yac wrote:i agree nintendo has been pushing the damn GBA far too often, every game has some little extra that you can only get with a GBA and this needing one to play multiplayer just pisses me off to no end....but just so you know crystal chronicles is nothing like the true final fantasy games out there, this one seems to be much more action and less RPG :)
I agree they need stop that crap, probably just another way to get money. I remember when everything you needed came with the system. Now you have to buy $50 worth of crap before you can see a picture and save your game. X|

And Pomidor you definatly need to get a better Final Fantasy. FFCC was okay for about 4 hours and then it has just died on me. I am playing FF4 right now and it rocks. Its name is Final Fantasy Chronicles, It has FF4 and Chrono Trigger (the greatest game of all time.) Heheh!
Just ask about anything FF to me! I have beat almost everyone except FFCC!
~Corey~ king_tonberry

Why so blue green man? Is it because your powerless to help your friend or cause your just plain ugly? ~ Radditz

Eternal
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Do you play professionally or just for fun?
-I, Robot (Asimov)
king_tonberry
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by king_tonberry »

For fun but I wouldn't mind playing for money. :wink:
~Corey~ king_tonberry

Why so blue green man? Is it because your powerless to help your friend or cause your just plain ugly? ~ Radditz

Eternal
Pomidor
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pomidor »

king_tonberry wrote:FFCC was okay for about 4 hours and then it has just died on me. I am playing FF4 right now and it rocks. Its name is Final Fantasy Chronicles, It has FF4 and Chrono Trigger (the greatest game of all time.) Heheh! Just ask about anything FF to me! I have beat almost everyone except FFCC!
OMG!! ARGhhhhhh! Ive been plaing FFCC for 18 hours now.. and it... sucks! I mean its sooo boring and repetative. There are no RPG elements, apart from the fact that collecting items gives you stat boosts. The doungeons are terrible, without the GBA and the map you get lost so often in the darker ones. Fighting sucks, the A button function scroll thing is just shit, I mean you can never be fast eought to attack then switch to block and block the oponents moves, making block prety much useless, as all you do is "doge"... their fancy way of saying that you just runn away whenever anything attacks >_< This is neither an RPG nor an action game... it sucks.. my god stay away from this!

Pomidor
king_tonberry
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by king_tonberry »

:roll: Yes, I am sorry that this game has the title Final Fantasy. As it is not one in my opinion. I havn't played it in a month. X| I just can't play it for very long like the rest of the Final Fantasys.
But I would go rent a different Final Fantasy just to see if you like them better, I know that I sure do. 8)
~Corey~ king_tonberry

Eternal
Pomidor
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pomidor »

I just got my modded PS2 today, and I have ordered like 6 FF titles, so Im going to fest out on them when they arrive... meanwhile Im enjoying Metal Slug!!! Best game of all time ^_^

What really ticks me off is that in all the GC mags I have looked at they give FFCC a 9/10 ... while they give games like Skies of Arcadia or Phantasy Star Online 8/10 >_<

By the way has anyone played the Breath of Fire game for PS2, I really dont remember the name though, it looks allright, but I have heard nothing about it. So to anyone who has played it, is it any good?

Pomidor
king_tonberry
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by king_tonberry »

I haven't played the new Breath of Fire game but have always wanted to. Hmmm... well I guess I know what the next game I'm gona rent is. :wink:
~Corey~ king_tonberry

Eternal
Aries
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by Aries »

I think the Breath of Fire game your talking about is Dragon Quarter or something close to that. I honestly didn't like it. Also CC was ok IF you had multiplayer then its kinda fun honestly with hearts i thought it was a crappy zelda of course 11 just hit on PS2 so I'm gonna be busy lol.