2 free nights -- What game to play??

Topics on video games and platforms
shellie
Gundam Geek

2 free nights -- What game to play??

Post by shellie »

Okay, here's a broad open-ended topic -- I have 2 days all to myself and would like to try a new PS2 game. What do you suggest? Here's a few bits of info that might narrow it down:
1. It can't be too scarey. (Home by myself for 2 days and nights!)
2. Blood is fine; really raw language is not.
3. Would love to try something with beautiful visuals and great audio.
4. Even though I love video games, I stink at them! :)

Does that narrow it down a little, or maybe too much! I have only played 5 or 6 games in my life, so the world is your oyster. I looked and looked for a past thread about the Final Fantasy games -- I remember reading that some were great and some were stinkers. I'd love to try one of those. I read some of the last few months entries here and took some notes on what to look for.

I'll be going to the video store tonight, so if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them! Thanks!! :)
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Try watching TV.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
shellie
Gundam Geek

Post by shellie »

Thanks a bunch for the input, cloud. :x I'm sure I'll be doing lots of that too.
celgami
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by celgami »

I haven't played too many video games recently so I'm not sure what all is out there. There was one a couple years back called The Devil May Cry that was pretty cool. It's an action/adventure type with cool graphics and not too scary monsters. I think the lead character was part demon and you get to use shotguns and swords. There were a few puzzle areas to figure out to keep it from being just a hack n' slash game. I heard the sequel, DMC 2, wasn't as good.

If that doesn't appeal just check out the graphics on the boxes and pick up whatever catches your eye.

I need to check out Ninja Gaiden for Xbox. It looks sweet!

Have fun!
Last edited by celgami on Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

I'm not sure if it could.
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Baylor
Snarky Chick

Post by Baylor »

I have a great game for you to try: Kingdom Hearts for the PS2. The colors and audio are amazing. The puzzles are frustrating at times (especially the jumping) but it's a lot of fun. It combines the fun and ferocity of hack'n'slash and Disney storylines. But if you're anti-Disney, don't bother.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Umm. I could be. I don't know whether or not I am anti-Disney do not bother. Do you think I am anti-Disney do not bother?
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Startyde
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Startyde »

Oooooooooooh, game thread, good call.

Depends on what you're looking for Shells. Baylor is right about Kingdom Hearts...amazing game and not too hard. Final Fantasy X is also really good, though you wont get far in 2 days...or 2 weeks actually...

The new Castlevania game for PS2 is also quite good. If you just want mindless pushing of buttons, you should try a fighting game such as Soul Calibur 2 or Guilty Gear X2 for absolutely beautiful anime-ish visuals.

Buuuuuut, you may just want to stick with Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy X for now :)
"I actually really liked that game till it caught a blaze ha." - WhiteTrashShayno on Teleroboxer
shellie
Gundam Geek

Post by shellie »

Thanks for the good suggestions, celgami, Baylor and Starzer! I was in the video store not long ago and noticed the Castlevania game -- looked really interesting. Soul Calibur has always caught my eye too. (I liked your suggestion, celgami, to find a box that looked interesting and try it! That usually is how I pick stuff! :)) And though you suggested FFX, Startyde, I thought I remembered you saying you absolutely hated that game on some previous thread? Or was that one of the other 5million FF games? I was really hoping to play the one that Uende had an avatar of -- that one looked fantastic. But I found out that that one isn't even out yet. Rats. I also tried to find somewhere local to get Chrono Trigger because I remember you (or someone else) saying it was good -- but I can't find it anywhere.

But,,, I do have Kingdom Hearts right here in the house on loan from my son's friend! It is the first RPG any of us have seen, and Graeme spent most of his time in the very first island place jumping up and down trying to fetch items for the girl. I did play one night after he went to bed, but I got stuck wandering and wandering in the first town place you go where the black things try to get you. I was completely lost in that maze of a town, and wasn't really sure what I was trying to find or accomplish because I hadn't played or watched the previous levels! If you guys all say it's that good, perhaps I'll just start from the beginning tonight and see what I missed. (But I think I might go and get Castlevania, too, because I loved the box! ;))

Keep the good ideas coming, guys! I might get another free night someday!! :)
Startyde
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Startyde »

shellie wrote:And though you suggested FFX, Startyde, I thought I remembered you saying you absolutely hated that game on some previous thread? Or was that one of the other 5million FF games? I was really hoping to play the one that Uende had an avatar of -- that one looked fantastic.
What? How dare you!! I said I hated FF9, and that's cause I do!! FFX is amazing, as is its sequel: FFX2!!

Geez...you trying to ruin my street cred??

:) :) :)

LOL. Play Castlevania Shellz, and rent FFX sometime...or buy it for your kids...never too early to start a Final Fantasy Family :)
"I actually really liked that game till it caught a blaze ha." - WhiteTrashShayno on Teleroboxer
Nathan
Shikaisha - Moderator
Shikaisha - Moderator

Post by Nathan »

Prince Of Persia Sand of Time is heaps of fun to play. easy To Pick up. Mix of action\ sword fight - puzzle solving - I really really enjoyed it...
Worth a look.
...just one more
shellie
Gundam Geek

Post by shellie »

Startyde wrote: Geez...you trying to ruin my street cred??
:) heehee! Sorry, dear one! This neo-gamer doesn't know one from the other.

I did go get Castlevania and have been playing it for the last hour. Pretty fun so far! Took me a few tries to be able to jump and swing up onto things with my whip, but I think I've got it down now. Only one thing puzzles me ... the game is rated M because of blood and violence, and I haven't seen a drop of blood yet. It looks pretty much like Kingdom Hearts so far, with the ghouls and skeletons meeting their demise in a puff of smoke. Am I completely missing the right door somewhere, or I have just not gotten far enough to really fight something big and gruesome? I stopped playing now that it's dark outside -- just cuz I'm a chicken! It hasn't been scarey, but the music is a tad creepy and that's just the sort of thing that makes me jumpy when I have to let the dog out late at night. :)

Well, the next portion of tonight's entertainment will be watching the ENTIRE 30 episodes of Wolf's Rain. Well, maybe I'll have to spread it out over the next 2 days. When the guys come back from their fishing trip, they won't recognize me with the horrible dark circles under my eyes from 2 1/2 days with no sleep at all! Thanks, everyone, for the great suggestions.

If anyone else wants to post their game recommendations here, I'll keep checking back to make my future kill-some-free-time list! And I'm sure there are others who would be interested in this thread too. Thanks!! :)
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

No I am not trying to ruin his or her street cred. I'm sorry you got that impression.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
shellie
Gundam Geek

Post by shellie »

Can you believe it, Cloud? My buddy Startyde thought I was dissing him!! I'd never try to ruin his cred, ya know. (And that's about as much street slang as I can handle in one post!! :P gack! )
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

What would make you never try to ruin his cred ya know?
-I, Robot (Asimov)