!@#$%&*...I guess it's time to get a new graphics card

Topics on video games and platforms
transmet
Senpai - Elder

!@#$%&*...I guess it's time to get a new graphics card

Post by transmet »

My brother recently sent me a copy of "Call of Duty" which I immediately downloaded. Well, excitement quickly turned into dissapointment when I learned my graphics card doesn't have T&L support, so now I'm stuck. I already have the lastest drivers and I've scoured the web for all info. As expected, I found my card is hopelessly obsolete. So here's my question: Does anyone have any suggestions as to which graphics card to go with? I'm currently using a nVIDIA Riva TNT Model 64 on my HP Pavilion 750n. I'd like to stick with nVIDIA and am looking at the GeForce models. Any help on this would be appreciated. :)
Hold On Tightly ~ Let Go Lightly
rayd
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by rayd »

Ooooo, a new game, have lots of fun! I just wish i wasnt a spaz that i could play them well, but o well. Yep, you will need a new card most likely to take advantage of the new instructions and also play the upcoming releases of halo and half life. :drool You can go with either nvidia or ati chip set, both make very good cards and only vary by a few fps between comparable models. Just one IMPORTANT word of advice, if you do switch brands, remove the previous cards drivers before installing the other card. Those two makes do not play well at all together and produce nasty results if both are left in at the same time. You dont need to spend $300+ for the top of the line nvidia, but keep in mind that half life two was written with those cards in mind. Try to get the 256MB cards. :badass And have fun blasting away. lol.
Ms. Poe
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Ms. Poe »

I love ATI cards...They really are the best of the two. Get one with 64 bit processing, and one with 256 mb of ram. I just upgraded mine to a radeon 9550...The new ati cards are pretty much the same exact models as last years. Have fun gaming ^.^/!
transmet
Senpai - Elder

Post by transmet »

Thanks for the input rayd & Ms. Poe. Still not sure what I'm going to do, but I think I'm leaning towards a newer GeForce FX card with 256MB of memory. :^^:
Last edited by transmet on Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Still how long? OK then let me think over your offer.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
pastatdude
The Drunken Master

Post by pastatdude »

I have an NVIDIA GeForce™ 6800 Ultra 256MB DDR3, and it kicks ass. Generally speaking, that card combined with an AMD processor (Athlon™ 64 FX-55+ preferably) will give you the best performance in regards to gaming.

Call of Duty is awesome! I can't wait to play the expansion. :o
Last edited by pastatdude on Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Booze disappearing is a law of nature.

.:PD Blog:.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Where did you get NVIDIA GeForce™ 6800 Ultra 256MB DDR3 and it kicks ass ?
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
pastatdude
The Drunken Master

Post by pastatdude »

It came with my new PC, Cloud. :)

Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

It depends on what the meaning of the word "it" is.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
transmet
Senpai - Elder

Post by transmet »

pastatdude wrote:I have an NVIDIA GeForce™ 6800 Ultra 256MB DDR3, and it kicks ass. Generally speaking, that card combined with an AMD processor (Athlon™ 64 FX-55+ preferably) will give you the best performance in regards to gaming. Call of Duty is awesome! I can't wait to play the expansion. :o
That is some nice hardware, PD. After doing some pricing (between $225-275 for a card similar to yours 8O ), I decided to go with the less glamorous NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 AGP 8x 128MB DDR. I've only got a Pentium IV 1.60GHz processor w/ 512 MB of RAM, so I figured I'd spend the $90 for the smaller upgrade. I gotta say that it sure makes a hell'uva difference.

And you're right, Call of Duty is awesome. But it's my Tiger Woods 2005 that I'm really excited about. It's like playing a whole new game & I'm luv'n it! :D
pastatdude
The Drunken Master

Post by pastatdude »

transmet wrote:But it's my Tiger Woods 2005 that I'm really excited about.
Hell yeah, I love that game! :D I was amazed at how much BETTER is really was, it really surprised me.

Baylor
Snarky Chick

Post by Baylor »

My husband just bought Tiger Woods 2005 for the PS2, and I haven't been able to use my TV ever since. I didn't think there could be such an addicting game.