The Anime Beta Awards 2006 [begins November 11th]

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
Ronin
Senpai - Elder

Post by Ronin »

No ones making a big deal here and cool, you've decided to just stick to the 'Facial Expressions' category. That's fine, everyone has said they were happy with whatever you decided, we were just making a suggestion and when you replied you sorta supported the reasoning for the suggestion in the first place, that’s all.

But no worries, stay cool…like we said everyone supports your decision as final.
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

klet wrote: Woah. Apparently, you took my post a little too close to heart. I wasn't demanding anything--just pointing out some of the pitfalls. I don't think I deserved the snappy reply I got, but that's your choice. You might not have meant it that way, but it felt that way. I thought we were pleasantly discussing here, but apparently I'm not allowed to. Others can criticize, but I get threatened with removal of categories.
It wasn't a threat, it was a choice. If the category is going to be this contested, then it doesn't need to be there. If you think my comeback was snappy, my apologies. But do you see the word you used? Criticize. Not suggestion. And it was over an issue that was really not that important. I think what is happening here is that people want a better shot at winning. So do I! But I am willing to limit my chances at winning to make things more fair for the entire board. My arguments were anything but fallacy. Separating categories by facial expression is no more absurd than doing it by body type, hair color, show genre, Anime title, etc. It just isn't going to work. Someone will get left out, and I am the one who will hear about it.
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

Here are the dates I've set for the Awards...

Submission Period - November 11th-18th

Entries Made Public - November 19th

Voting Period - November 25th - December 4th

Results - December 10th

I've also hidden my gallery until the awards are over. Since I am hosting them on my gallery, I felt it would give me an unfair advantage to keep the images up there.
kymaera
Heroine Addict

Post by kymaera »

blueheaven wrote:You ARE splitting hairs here.
So are you. It's just that the hairs that you are splitting are different.

Is separating types of expressions any more "absurd" than separating heroes
and villains? Heroes and villains can come down to knowledge of the show
while expressions are universal.
Does this look like the main heroine of the series?
Does this look like a villain?
I think most that aren't familiar with either series would say "No" to both.

But pretty much everyone would agree this is happy and this is angry.
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

But we aren't voting on the most villanous looking villain. We are votting on the best cel with a villain in it.

And as for your examples of happy and angry, no dice. I've seen cels of characters smiling ear to ear out of shear pisstivity. I've seen characters who look angry but are actually sad.
Last edited by blueheaven on Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kymaera
Heroine Addict

Post by kymaera »

blueheaven wrote:But we aren't voting on the most villanous looking villain. We are boating on the best cel with a villain in it.
Oh? That makes it even more hairsplitting. What about characters that
switch between the two? Will you be going through each entry and making
it's from an episode where the character was a villain? What about
characters that are in a gray area and can be considered either a hero or
villain? With "villainous looking", there would be at least better criteria for
what people are voting for and make the category tighter.

But, you're running the thing so it's your decision and I really don't care.
You're running things and you make the calls. Just don't say that you will
invite discussion and feedback, then tell people that they are "splitting hairs"
or wanting "absurd" categories.
blueheaven wrote:I think what is happening here is that people want a better shot at winning. So do I! But I am willing to limit my chances at winning to make things more fair for the entire board.
This is really easy. What's the one requirement that pretty much all
contests have? That the people who are running the thing don't compete
in them. Even if nothing funny does go on, it's best to not let even the
appearance of impropriety show up.

But again, your contest and your call. Krafty and NSP entered last year
when they were working on it.
RX78GP02AGUNDAM
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by RX78GP02AGUNDAM »

I'll just win with his rules. :) Its simple as that.

But next year, Id like to see Best Couple and Weaponry out. I remember it sucked the last time.....More expression categories, since you see A LOT more of this compared to 10 years ago.
Moop
Senpai - Elder

Post by Moop »

kymaera wrote:With "villainous looking", there would be at least better criteria for
what people are voting for and make the category tighter.
It's true. If you don't want a recurrence of previous problems with that category this year, you're probably going to have to define it as clearly as possible.

/hmm I thought that 'Villainous' was being used as a term to describe a character who appears unusually nasty at a given moment... not necessarily a character who is always nasty. Ditto for 'Heroic' showing someone who is acting with - or at least glowing with - beneficence at that moment, rather than one who is a perpetual white hat.

There are so many dichotomous characters in anime...
glorff
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by glorff »

Look folks, if you don't like a category then don't enter a cel in it. When you choose to enter a category you have to remember that your cel will be judged differently by everyone.

Last year I did my picks and thought that the winner in every category was obvious, only to find out that I had voted for two winners. I am good with that because we are all judging.

Lets just have some fun and see what happens :D
Dave

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

glorff wrote:Look folks, if you don't like a category then don't enter a cel in it. When you choose to enter a category you have to remember that your cel will be judged differently by everyone.

Last year I did my picks and thought that the winner in every category was obvious, only to find out that I had voted for two winners. I am good with that because we are all judging.

What he said. :)
Moop
Senpai - Elder

Post by Moop »

Sage... though it doesn't solve the problem of liking a category but not understanding the parameters. :wink:
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

Moop wrote:Sage... though it doesn't solve the problem of liking a category but not understanding the parameters. :wink:
You understand the parameter just fine. You're just thinking too hard about something that doesn't require it.

Villainous - Obviously, the character in the cel has to be a villain(at the time in which the scene occurs). We are not judging on how evil the character looks, but how nice the cel looks overall.

Heroic - The character needs to be a hero(at the time the scene is set). Once again, it isn't how heroic the character is, but how nice the cel looks.

Clearer now?
Moop
Senpai - Elder

Post by Moop »

That's probably the first time that anyone has accused me of thinking too hard. :P Yes, it's clearer. Thanks.
usamamo
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by usamamo »

glorff wrote:Look folks, if you don't like a category then don't enter a cel in it. When you choose to enter a category you have to remember that your cel will be judged differently by everyone.

I totally agree.

I think bluehaven is doing a teriffic job. Everyone cannot be satisfied and what is the point in making it difficult. If you don't like it....don't enter...how simple can that be. There are 20 catergories, surely you are happy with at least 5 to put your cels in. Why make a fuss about it, this is supposed to be fun.
" I'm Usagi Tsukino, 16 years old...in the first year of high school. I'm a bit rash and a crybaby...but, I'm actually an agent of love and justice....pretty Sailor Soldier, Sailor Moon"