The Anime Beta Awards 2006 [begins November 11th]

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

One question I remember being raised after last year involved having watermarks on the cels that identified the owners.

Some thought that knowing who owned that cel might affect how votes were cast either for or against.

IMO they detract from the image I'm judging though I do understand those who are afraid of image theft.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

I would rather not have watermarks on cels this year. Those who are worried about image theft should remember that the contest is being held on my RS site, and RS blocks image downloads.
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

Not sure if this has been asked before, but what about pan cels? Can they
be entered in any category? Or have their own? Whatever, I'm not particular,
just wanted to make sure I understand the dimension considerations of submissions.
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

Pan cels may be entered into any category. No size restriction.
Okuni
Kamisama - God

Post by Okuni »

blueheaven wrote:

I really don't need a Spartacus moment, as I am trying my best to make everyone happy. I know that is not possible,
"When you try to please everyone, you end up pleasing no one."
Just do the best you can, bh
/no1
wELCOME cONSUMER wrote:
People actually bothered to boycott the awards? But WHY? 8O
It's just a fun event, not life and death. Geez. :x
Some people need something to protest/complain about daily.
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

Okuni wrote:Some people need something to protest/complain about daily.
Too true. :roll:

Thanks for promptly answering my Q Brian.
As okuni said, just do your best because that will be more than enough.

Thank you for undertaking this event. We appreciate it. :friends:
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

OK, I've reworked the categories and tweaked the rules a bit to reflect these changes. Go over everything when you get a chance, and PM me if you see any areas where you think a correction is in order.

http://tenyearsafter.rubberslug.com/gallery/about.asp
Baakay
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Baakay »

GuyvarIII wrote:
Baakay wrote:Latecomer to the parade, but...

Didn't we have the EXACT SAME DEBATES last year?? Are we sure this is a new thread and not a cut-and-paste? :D

Deja Vu!!
That’s because the categories were the same.

The question was:
Krafty wrote: Based on last year's event, should the categories change?
Thank you. I read the questions and all of the discussion leading up to it.

Apparently some folks don't recognize humor when they see it. (Note the goofy tongue in my reply to WelcomeConsumer).

Have fun, peeps... do whatever.
"The permanent temptation of life is to confuse dreams with reality. The permanent defeat of life comes when dreams are surrendered to reality."
James A. Michener, The Drifters
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

I've had a request to reinstate the Most Heroic and Most Villainous categories. Tell me what you think. The big problem last year was that folks did not really understand the "Most Angelic" category. If you think we need these two categories, let me hear it. And tell me if there is another category you'd like to see added. I can't promise anything, but I will consider it. Thanks for your help. You guys are going to make this too easy for me.

Also, I am seriously thinking of getting rid of the "Runner Up" award. If enough people PM me that they want to keep it, then it will stay.

I have also raised the number of entries per person to five, and raised the category limit to 25. This means that you will be able to submit more entries and have a better shot of categories not filling up.
Last edited by blueheaven on Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

blueheaven wrote:I would rather not have watermarks on cels this year. Those who are worried about image theft should remember that the contest is being held on my RS site, and RS blocks image downloads.
While I agree with the no watermarks for this contest, I just want to point out that even on RS your images can be taken. My answer to that is "but you can always get the image from the anime so what's the difference?" :wink:
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
Zetsuai
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Zetsuai »

I fear it is a very very VERY stupid question, but what does the word "watermarks" mean??? :? :? :?

something marked with water??? ... I'm really confused ... heard it often before, but have no idea what it is ... 8O 8O 8O
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

It's not a stupid question if you don't know the answer. :) Watermarks are basically images or signatures that people add to their cels on the computer. The cel itself is not altered. The computer image of the cel is altered putting an extra layer on top.

Yeah, I'm probably confusing, huh? :roll:
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
Zetsuai
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Zetsuai »

duotrouble wrote:It's not a stupid question if you don't know the answer. :) Watermarks are basically images or signatures that people add to their cels on the computer. The cel itself is not altered. The computer image of the cel is altered putting an extra layer on top.

Yeah, I'm probably confusing, huh? :roll:
ah ... thank you very much ... now everything makes sence ... :) :) :) ...
irmgaard
Senpai - Elder

Post by irmgaard »

blueheaven wrote:I've had a request to reinstate the Most Heroic and Most Villainous categories. Tell me what you think. The big problem last year was that folks did not really understand the "Most Angelic" category. If you think we need these two categories, let me hear it. And tell me if there is another category you'd like to see added. I can't promise anything, but I will consider it.
I think that those would be great categories! Not only would they clear up the “Angelic “ confusion, but also they would allow the “sex appeal” aspect of Hunk and Babe to stay put! Although I agree with WC that some of the entries didn’t work as hunks for me, since I like my male sex symbols to be adults or to have a little more testosterone (though NOT FOTNS levels, Krafty! :D ), it was very interesting to see a variety of types of attractiveness displayed. :wink:

At the risk of repeating myself, I still would like to see that “Shocked” 8O or EoP’s “Horror Stricken” :OMG , or GuyvarIII’s “Reaction Shot” :o category added. Whichever name it is given, I think that type of category would have a lot of top-notch cels for everyone to look at, and they would be really striking all massed together!
Krafty
Custodian of Records

Post by Krafty »

blueheaven wrote:I've had a request to reinstate the Most Heroic and Most Villainous categories. Tell me what you think.
They sound good, it'd be nice to see them as categories because they fall in between the existing Babe/Hunk and Action categories. I can visualize a lot of suitable artwork being submitted here.
blueheaven wrote: Also, I am seriously thinking of getting rid of the "Runner Up" award. If enough people PM me that they want to keep it, then it will stay.
It'd be ideal to keep the Runner Up award for each section. With so many entries in each category and sometimes only 1 or 2 votes separating the winners, it's good to give recognition for second place.
blueheaven wrote: I have also raised the number of entires per person to five, and raised the category limit to 25.
Great idea, with so many exciting categories, I'm sure people won't have a problem choosing 5 images from their collection.

Bearing in mind the number of categories we now have, I think that the 'Non-anime' category could go. Not only would it allow us to conentrate on TV/Movie art but I have an aversion to several odd numbers- having 19 or 21 categories is putting me on edge. Seriously.