The Anime Beta Awards 2006 [begins November 11th]

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Re: Getting started

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

A fancel category would be a nice thing to consider. I've seen some
fairly amazing fancels and being able to vote on them would be fun.

Was there a fanart category last year? I honestly don't remember...
Krafty wrote:I'd be happy to see the sexual categories go, what do you think?
I agree with this, mainly because there were hardly any submissions last year.
I like hentai/yaoi/yuri, but the fact that there were hardly any cels to
vote on last year was a huge disappointment. Plus, all the back and forth
between voters and the people running the Beta Awards seemed like
an extra time-consuming step. You had to let them know you wanted to
vote on the Adult sections. It might be easier on everyone if that category
is removed completely or simply replaced by the fancel category.

Resubmitting art that has not won previous Beta Awards might also
be nice. Perhaps there should be a limit on the number of times you
can do this? Or, maybe, you can resubmit the same art but not for
consecutive years (as in, you can submit it every other year)? I'm all
for variety, but as Poe mentioned, some of us don't have enough cels to
submit a new one every year. Just something to consider.

As for sketches/dougas, etc, I think they should have their own category.
I'm not sure if that sentiment is logical, but it's just my feeling on the
matter. It might be unfair to the sketch if it's presented next to cels.
Personally, I'm more likely to vote for a cel.
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
Yuri-chan
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by Yuri-chan »

Wow..... I am learning of so many neat things that happen here. ^_^ All these fun events.....
I would love to participate in this event this year, esp. since I think have a few cels that should work.

~Yuri
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

I agree that there should be a fan cel category. The criteria should be that the person who enters it must own it at the time of entry. And artist cannot enter a cel they sold or gave to someone else. I think the best way to do it would be to remove the "Most Angelic" category and replace it with "Fan Cel."

I would also reconsider the following awards: Worst Cel(it needs a better name, like Lamest Cel), Effects(most effects look the same), and Evil(hard to judge evil if you don't know the anime).

My suggestions for new categories: Most Childlike(cels of younger characters), and Goriest Cel(for the most blood and guts).

As for Hentai, I think it should be put into one category, both Yaoi and Yuri. That way we'll have more submissions and a better chance of keeping the category.

I also agree that sketches deserves its own category. But the category should contain both gengas and dougas, rather than one category for each. I also think that sketches should be allowed in all other categories as well, with the exception of BG and fan cel.

I still like the rule of not allowing past winning cels to be entered again. It keeps the categories fresh. But past losers and runner-ups may enter.
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
GuyvarIII
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by GuyvarIII »

Whatever the categories, I’ll participate.

But my suggestions are:
Get rid of:
Best Animal: Because it puts your monsters with your bunnies.

Non-Anime: Because there were non-anime cels in the other categories anyway.

Worst Cel: Because there were no entries.

Best Effects: Because the effects only add to the action, reaction, or whatever else is portrayed in the cel. These cels could be put in other categories.

Best Weaponry: Because I think the weapons show off the characters.
I think it would be better to add Macho-Badass and Good Guy categories.
Then:
All the Badass characters without weapons can go up against the Badass characters with weapons.
All the Good Guys without weapons can go up against the Good Guys with weapons.
All the Evil characters without weapons can go up against the Evil characters with weapons.
And the Cute characters with Cute weapons can still be put in the Cute category.

Add:
Monsters: Because I think Evil and Animal are too vague for them.

Good Guy/Super Hero/Most Heroic: Because I think there are a lot of people with super hero cels and there is no section.

Macho-Badass: Because I think many galleries are entirely Macho-Badass and the cels might not fit with Rage.

and
Best Reactions: To cover expressions that aren’t Sad, Joyful, Angelic, Funny, or Rage filled.

I still think Rilezu should be put with the production cels.
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

GuyvarIII wrote: But my suggestions are:
Get rid of:
Best Animal: Because it puts your monsters with your bunnies.

Non-Anime: Because there were non-anime cels in the other categories anyway.

Worst Cel: Because there were no entries.

Best Effects: Because the effects only add to the action, reaction, or whatever else is portrayed in the cel. These cels could be put in other categories.

Best Weaponry: Because I think the weapons show off the characters.
I think it would be better to add Macho-Badass and Good Guy categories.
Then:
All the Badass characters without weapons can go up against the Badass characters with weapons.
All the Good Guys without weapons can go up against the Good Guys with weapons.
All the Evil characters without weapons can go up against the Evil characters with weapons.
And the Cute characters with Cute weapons can still be put in the Cute category.

Add:
Monsters: Because I think Evil and Animal are too vague for them.

Good Guy/Super Hero/Most Heroic: Because I think there are a lot of people with super hero cels and there is no section.

Macho-Badass: Because I think many galleries are entirely Macho-Badass and the cels might not fit with Rage.

and
Best Reactions: To cover expressions that aren’t Sad, Joyful, Angelic, Funny, or Rage filled.

Rilezu tend to be better painted, using better materials and takingmore time. Therefore, they tend to look nicer than the average cel.

As for getting rid of categories, I can see your point on everything except Non-Anime. I do agree that non-anime cels and drawings should not be used in the other categories, though.

As for additions, I think terms like good and evil, hero and villain, are too subjective. We had a best hero/villains a couple years ago, and it caused problems.

As for animals, I don't see a problem with mixing monsters and bunnies in one category.

As for reactions, I think we have those covered. We could go way too far with that category, so I think it should remain simple
GuyvarIII

Post by GuyvarIII »

blueheaven wrote: Rilezu tend to be better painted, using better materials and takingmore time. Therefore, they tend to look nicer than the average cel.
I disagree.
But even if it is true, in a contest a Rilezu won't go up against an average cel.
blueheaven wrote: As for additions, I think terms like good and evil, hero and villain, are too subjective. We had a best hero/villains a couple years ago, and it caused problems.
But where are you going to put your characters like Sailor Moon? She looks Angelic sometimes but most of the time she's striking a Super Hero pose in primary colors.
blueheaven wrote: As for animals, I don't see a problem with mixing monsters and bunnies in one category.

Are these like images?
blueheaven wrote:As for reactions, I think we have those covered. We could go way too far with that category, so I think it should remain simple

EternityOfPain wrote:I would like to request a cataegory... How about "Horror stricken" cels ^^
irmgaard
Senpai - Elder

Post by irmgaard »

GuyvarIII wrote:
blueheaven wrote: Rilezu tend to be better painted, using better materials and takingmore time. Therefore, they tend to look nicer than the average cel.
I disagree.
But even if it is true, in a contest a Rilezu won't go up against an average cel.
I am with GuyvarIII here. I have both, and Rilezu aren’t any better than the type of production cel you would enter in a contest. My very best production cels (typically A-1 ends, OPs and EDs) are painted better than my Rilezu. :)
GuyvarIII wrote:
blueheaven wrote: As for additions, I think terms like good and evil, hero and villain, are too subjective. We had a best hero/villains a couple years ago, and it caused problems.
But where are you going to put your characters like Sailor Moon? She looks Angelic sometimes but most of the time she's striking a Super Hero pose in primary colors.
I think the categories of Angelic and Evil were supposed to be the good and bad guy categories, but I also tend to think of “Angelic” as having wings or at least a beatific expression. :shrug
GuyvarIII wrote:
blueheaven wrote: As for animals, I don't see a problem with mixing monsters and bunnies in one category.

Are these like images?

GuyvarIII, that monster is GROSS! 8O On the other hand, I think the Glo-Friends would fit in CUUUUUUUUUUUUTE! :love: I don’t think they would show best in animal. Though I can see where there might be a conflict with The Last Unicorn, or something like that. I don’t know….. /hmm
GuyvarIII wrote:
blueheaven wrote:As for reactions, I think we have those covered. We could go way too far with that category, so I think it should remain simple

EternityOfPain wrote:I would like to request a cataegory... How about "Horror stricken" cels ^^
I thought the category of “Shocked” would be good, but I guess reaction shot would cover more images. I just thought it would be fun to look at a whole page of wide eyed, startled, scared characters, just like it was fun to look at all those “[shadow=red]ragers[/shadow]” last time! :D

I also think the adult catagories should be combined, due to the limited entries last time. I think the yaoi would have an edge, just because of the number of impressive images I have seen in that catagory in various galleries. And this catagory also really needs to be open to Rilezu.
Krafty
Custodian of Records

Post by Krafty »

After thinking things through, I've got to pull out from having a hand in this years' awards. There are other things I've got to do and I'd be taking on too much.
I will however, be happy to help out with advice on running the event, as I'm sure BlueHeaven, Kymaera and Syan will as they've worked on this project before.

Based on what's been said and what should benefit the greatest number of people with regards to the makeup of their collections, I'll throw in this list of prospective categories.

1. Best Babe
2. Best Hunk
3. Best Mecha / Vehicle
4. Best Creature
[combining cute animals and gory monsters is cool]
5. Best Background
6. Best Hanken / Fancel
7. Best Genga
8. Sorrow Award
9. Rage Award
10. Joy Award
11. Best Couple
12. Best Portrait
13. Cutest Cel
14. Best Action
15. Best Sexual-themed
[straight and gay images combined]

Having less categories than last time could be beneficial as each category is more likely to have a full house.

Popular categories last year were COUPLE, SORROW, RAGE, HUNK, ACTION, WEAPONRY and GENGA.

As for the rules:
Dougas, gengas and non-Japanese animation art could be entered into any category [except BG and Hanken/Fancel] although it's advised to submit cels rather than hand-drawn art.

Hanken and fancels work well together because they are very similar- the best characters/poses are chosen for the shot and they're good quality. For those who think that all hankens are vastly detailed/complex images, there exists many simplistic, single-character hanken so the equality for both mediums is fair.

You're not permitted to submit artwork that won a trophy in a previous Awards, but if your piece didn't win, you can re-enter it into the same or a different category [if applicable].

These are all just suggestions, not the law of the land ;)
Last edited by Krafty on Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

I totally understand. It seems like the average run for Awards coordinators tends to be one year. It is difficult to appreciate just how difficult and time-consuming a task this can be. As with before, whoever takes the reigns, Id be glad to help. And if no one takes the reigns, I'll be glad to do it.
akadro
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by akadro »

I have 2 questions about the FAN cel category, if we want to submit a cel on the fan cel category could it be that we are not the artist ? Or is for the person that actually does fan cels ?

Also all my cels are frammed, would that be a problem if I submit the pic's cel frammed ? example ----> http://akadro.rubberslug.com/gallery/im ... 5278&Pass=

dro
HotIce
Senpai - Elder

Post by HotIce »

Best Couple is in there 2x's... is one of those gonna be weapons?
Moop
Senpai - Elder

Post by Moop »

irmgaard wrote: I am with GuyvarIII here. I have both, and Rilezu aren’t any better than the type of production cel you would enter in a contest. My very best production cels (typically A-1 ends, OPs and EDs) are painted better than my Rilezu. :)
Maybe the real question is simply whether or not post-production art belongs in the same category as production art. Personally, I lean more toward thinking not... but resolving the issue to everyone's satisfaction should be fairly simple: put it to a vote with a poll before the final decision is made.
Krafty wrote:Having less categories than last time could be beneficial as each category is more likely to have a full house.
The real point is to get as many people involved and having fun as possible, right? So perhaps streamlining it down to only sixteen categories isn't really necessary. :) I liked the evil and angelic categories (though 'angelic' might be renamed 'saintly' or 'pure-hearted' or somesuch, to get rid of the whole wings issue.) Not only were they entertaining to look at and judge, but they had a lot more entries than some of the other categories.
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

I was not overly fond of the "babe" and "hunk" categories because I didn't
understand what those titles meant. I felt I had nothing to contribute to either
and the notion of a "babe" is purely subjective to me. Perhaps something
less narrow would be nicer; simply "best female" might be more appropriate.
I have lots of cels of girls/females, but none I felt were truly "babes."
I also don't consider Inuyasha a hunk, honestly. But those were the types
of entries before, which is why I felt the categories were not entirely objective.
The title is placing a sensual spin on the category, which biases my opinion of
the submissions. I doubt my suggestion will be popular or acceptable, but
I just wanted to throw it out there.

Nevertheless, the 16 categories suggested by James are fine by me.
I think less categories with broader titles might be better. More people
would participate if they know the event won't eat up all of their free time.

Also, resubmitting artwork that has not won is great. Thanks for that! :)
The rules sound fair as well.
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
RX78GP02AGUNDAM

Post by RX78GP02AGUNDAM »

Moop wrote: Maybe the real question is simply whether or not post-production art belongs in the same category as production art.
Same here,
I think theres enough Rilezu collectors out there for Rilezu to have its own category. Theres more titles available now than ever before. If there arent enough partipicants, then they dont make the cut.
As for the rules:
Dougas, gengas and non-Japanese animation art could be entered into any category [except BG and Hanken/Fancel] although it's advised to submit cels rather than hand-drawn art.
One more thing, if you can add any of those types of artwork into any category, why is there a Genga category? If I recall,last year a Douga won the Genga Award, and the runner up was the Genga Layout. If a cel cant be entered into the Genga section, then a douga shouldnt either. Genga section should be the Genga types only. Even if you say Genga Number Douga, it can go the same for a Genga Number Cel.
RX78GP02AGUNDAM

Post by RX78GP02AGUNDAM »

Long shot, havent read the whole thread, so not sure if anyone suggested it...
A lot of collectors have moved on to CG series, and you see a lot of Repro, Rilezu, sketches being updated.

No way of starting a Plastic and Paper awards? Kinda like Keys cel gallery, she has a link to both types of galleries. I saw quite a few people willing to help...