The Anime Beta Awards 2006 [begins November 11th]

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
kymaera
Heroine Addict

Post by kymaera »

blueheaven wrote:I totally understand. It seems like the average run for Awards coordinators tends to be one year. It is difficult to appreciate just how difficult and time-consuming a task this can be.
Plus, it takes a thick skin to be able to tolerate the endless debates. No
matter how the categories are divided, some percentage of people will be
offended because it affects their chances of winning..err...I mean "because
they are unfair and/or do not make sense". At least a half dozen of these
will then boycott the awards after posting about how the organizer has
ruined the whole event for them.
Baakay
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Baakay »

Latecomer to the parade, but...

Didn't we have the EXACT SAME DEBATES last year?? Are we sure this is a new thread and not a cut-and-paste? :D

Deja Vu!!
"The permanent temptation of life is to confuse dreams with reality. The permanent defeat of life comes when dreams are surrendered to reality."
James A. Michener, The Drifters
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

What's wrong with debates? Debates are fun! :D
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
Baakay
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Baakay »

wELCOME cONSUMER wrote:What's wrong with debates? Debates are fun! :D
That's true...

but for a second there I was afraid I'd entered a time warp or sumpin :P
"The permanent temptation of life is to confuse dreams with reality. The permanent defeat of life comes when dreams are surrendered to reality."
James A. Michener, The Drifters
Krafty
Custodian of Records

Post by Krafty »

HotIce wrote:Best Couple is in there 2x's... is one of those gonna be weapons?
My error. I meant to add 15 categories but got carried away, it's now been corrected so thanks for mentioning that ;)

What WC said about the Babes and Hunks I understand, but we should focus on the attractiveness of the characters. The way I see these categories is that the character's aren't necessarily people we feel sexual attraction to, but perhaps images that represent femininity and masculinity. As such, GuyvarIII's suggestion of 'Heroic' can fall into these categories.

Perhaps my way of thinking is different to many others, but you can often twist a topic to suit your own needs based on a different perception.

I did want to address RX's point about a Rilezu section. From what I've seen of other people's collections, there are very few Betarians that have Rilezu- perhaps 12-20?
I doubt everybody would want to submit their Rilezu into this broard category because it occupies an entry they might prefer to use for another category.
Also, many Rilezu I've seen aren't particularly striking, they're just like 'normal' cels so what the point in trying to win an award in a category full of 'normal' art?

You may be thinking the same can be said for Best Genga? Not so; there are far more evident styles and details in genga artwork than there are between Rilezu cels which make them fun to see and vote on.
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

Baakay wrote:
wELCOME cONSUMER wrote:What's wrong with debates? Debates are fun! :D
That's true...

but for a second there I was afraid I'd entered a time warp or sumpin :P
I think this is all in good humor. I don't think anyone's offended, but I'm
speaking for myself there. It appears like a civil discussion to me. If
the same categories and rules are evoked for this year's Beta Awards,
I don't think anyone's going to be pissed and boycott the event. It's just
our collective effort to tailor and evolve the Awards. If nothing changes,
it's not the end of the world. The event is always a lot of fun, no matter what.
But I don't see the harm in throwing out ideas and suggestions before
we get started. Meh.

Edit:
Krafty wrote:What WC said about the Babes and Hunks I understand, but we should focus on the attractiveness of the characters. The way I see these categories is that the character's aren't necessarily people we feel sexual attraction to, but perhaps images that represent femininity and masculinity. As such, GuyvarIII's suggestion of 'Heroic' can fall into these categories.
Ah, I get what you mean. I don't recall, was there an explanation or
description of the respective categories? If not, that might assist people
in understanding the point of each category when they are submitting
art and voting.
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
GuyvarIII
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by GuyvarIII »

Baakay wrote:Latecomer to the parade, but...

Didn't we have the EXACT SAME DEBATES last year?? Are we sure this is a new thread and not a cut-and-paste? :D

Deja Vu!!
That’s because the categories were the same.

The question was:
Krafty wrote: Based on last year's event, should the categories change?
Krafty wrote: The way I see these categories is that the character's aren't necessarily people we feel sexual attraction to, but perhaps images that represent femininity and masculinity. As such, GuyvarIII's suggestion of 'Heroic' can fall into these categories.
There is overlap.
But I don’t think this works because Fangirl favorites are described as “bishies” rather than masculine men. Ken from FOTNS is masculine but he’ll look out of place in Hunk next to Sesshomaru.
majinuub

Post by majinuub »

I'm so glad douga/sketches can be submitted in other categories.
I hope the Hentai/Adult section stays because I have a cel for that category. I don't mind it being combined with the yaoi/yuri section if not enough entries are submitted.
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

I think we can compromise here.

New Rule - Rilezu and post production artwork may be entered into ANY Best Cel category. In cases where there are more than one cel of an image(such as the Naruto cels), entries will be taken on a first come, first served basis.

Also, there will be a "Best Sketch" category, featuring both genga and douga. And sketches may also be entered into any Best Cel category.

This will ensure that sketches have a good chance at winning an award, and it will also help categories fill up quicker.
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
RX78GP02AGUNDAM

Post by RX78GP02AGUNDAM »

blueheaven wrote:
Also, there will be a "Best Sketch" category, featuring both genga and douga. And sketches may also be entered into any Best Cel category.
So a sketch has more chances of winning more awards than a production cel?
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

RX78GP02AGUNDAM wrote: So a sketch has more chances of winning more awards than a production cel?
Actually, fewer chances. Like WC said, when you put sketches and cels next to each other, the average collector will give the edge to a cel.

Since no one has stepped up, I'd like to know if anyone would object to me doing the awards again? If you would like to PM me with your concerns, I will be glad to hear them. If anyone has an objection, I'll withdraw with no complaints.

The only help I would really need is someone to make a new award. I am thinking about hosting the images on my RS site(my gallery would be taken down temporarily) and using the Beta PM system to vote.
Last edited by blueheaven on Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
irmgaard
Senpai - Elder

Post by irmgaard »

blueheaven wrote:I think we can compromise here.

New Rule - Rilezu and post production artwork may be entered into ANY Best Cel category. In cases where there are more than one cel of an image(such as the Naruto cels), entries will be taken on a first come, first served basis.

This will ensure that sketches have a good chance at winning an award, and it will also help categories fill up quicker.

:yay

Well, personally I think that's [shadow=orange]great[/shadow] (no, I'm NOT entering any Rilezu), because that will keep cels from new shows in the mix. And it's not as though Production cels are a unique creation of a single artist, rather than the painted image step in a sequence of several renditions of that same image. Of course. Production art will always have a certain cachet from being a part of the anime itself, but some of our "Production" cels are from omitted scenes and the like.

Also, I thought the "Genga" category worked last time, even though it had douga and layout submissions. So it makes sense to just fix the name. :D
blueheaven wrote:
RX78GP02AGUNDAM wrote: So a sketch has more chances of winning more awards than a production cel?

Actually, fewer chances. Like WC said, when you put sketches and cels next to each other, the average collector will give the edge to a cel.
I can't think of any that won against cels last time....
/hmm
Last edited by irmgaard on Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RX78GP02AGUNDAM

blueheaven wrote:
That would be an assumption. Fact is people can submit sketches into more categories than production cels, so the chances are higher.

But for a collector who doesnt collect sketches like WC, she would vote for a cel. But, thats not the case for everyone. Quoting her
I also don't consider Inuyasha a hunk, honestly. But those were the types
of entries before, which is why I felt the categories were not entirely objective.
The title is placing a sensual spin on the category, which biases my opinion of
the submissions.
Newer, Current, whatever is "In" with the preson voting will have an edge over anything else. Even if the point of the awards is to vote for what depicts it best...she said she was likely to pick cel. ???
RX78GP02AGUNDAM

irmgaard wrote:
I can't think of any that won against cels last time....
/hmm
Thats because less people collected paper. Prob best if Krafty or someone might actually share the sketch to cel ratio last year.
Last edited by RX78GP02AGUNDAM on Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

RX78GP02AGUNDAM wrote:
That would be an assumption. Fact is people can submit sketches into more categories than production cels, so the chances are higher.
RX, you have to look at this from my point of view. The HARDEST thing about doing this, is setting up the awards where each category has a good chance of getting enough entries to make it worthwhile. There are some collectors who ONLY collect shows that don't use cels. Should they be handicapped for doing so? Shouldn't they have a chance to make more than one entry? And as was stated previously, we had the same rule last year and NO sketch ended up beating out a cel.

And as you have just stated, less people collect paper. So I really don't see why you are so concerned. A total of SIX sketches were entered last year in cel categories. Even if that number doubles, it still gives an edge to cels. Like it or not, sketches deserve their shot at awards.
Last edited by blueheaven on Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.