Anime Beta Awards 07'

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

pixie_princess wrote:Silly question, but I assume any and all logos that declare what website/current-guardian said cel/sketch is from should be removed? I've never participated in one of these before *^_^*

Also, on size restrictions, is it the max. size its allowed at, or is it, they must be such and such size for uniformity?
I'd strongly urge entrants to remove watermarks and logos. I've always disliked them during this contest, but I will not make it mandatory. I realize some people cannot remove their watermarks and I respect that. But, if possible, please submit art that allows voters to be subjective and unbiased.

As far as size restrictions go, I'm discussing that with Zetsuai right now. I'll be able to post more about it tomorrow.
ReiTheJelly wrote:WC: are we going to be using the RS gallery that was set up for last year's awards? http://betaawards.rubberslug.com If we are, perhaps the winners from the previous year can be condensed into a single sub-gallery; that way people can look over last year's winners. If we keep it up long enough, it'll make a fun time line of changing cel tastes.
I wasn't really planning on using the RS site this year but the time line idea is a great one. It would be nice to keep track of BA winners from year to year.
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
EternityOfPain
Senpai - Elder

Post by EternityOfPain »

I am all for a crazy/insane category. 8)
I didnt attend the funeral but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. -Mark Twain
Anime runs my life. I'll leave it to anime to where my life leads me. -EoP
Anime I have Seen
Slippery slopes of hellish Ice.
usamamo
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by usamamo »

ooo an Animated section...I look forward to seeing those cels.
*squeals* I am so excited.
You are doing such a good job WC
" I'm Usagi Tsukino, 16 years old...in the first year of high school. I'm a bit rash and a crybaby...but, I'm actually an agent of love and justice....pretty Sailor Soldier, Sailor Moon"
backlotanimation
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by backlotanimation »

Just a idea?
I found the larger stuff like hankens and backgrounds hard to see the detail with the small pics,can we do a larger scan for these to see all the detail?
500 pix wide is just not large enough,it's almost like looking at a thumb nail image.
I found that when I made my images the size stated they came out smaller when posted on the site and others were almost two times the size of mine so I'm wondering how they got the larger images posted when they should all be the same size?

The year before last there was a rule about not having the image in your personal gallery,Is this still in effect,I'm just asking because I saw a few of them listed both places at the same time. Maybe this rule should be taken out if it has not been already.

I hope everyone has fun with this!!!!

Thanks WC and all others helping with this art show.GOOD JOB!

Remember folks judge the *Art* not just the shows or person that posted them that you like, This is after all is a contest for the *Art* not a personal thing.

Good luck to all!

Roy 8) (DBA)Backlotanimation
"And that is why you fail!"
Yoda
Cordelia
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Cordelia »

My first Beta awards, lrealli looking forward to it! Thanks to WC and team for volunteering to do this :D
Starfighter
Eiyuu - Hero

contest

Post by Starfighter »

Looking forward to etering this contest it should be a lot of fun .

Starfighter
Last edited by Starfighter on Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

Just need some clarification on something.

Toni, you said...
all varieties of sketches are welcome in all categories
Now, does that refer to sketches and drawings from animated series, or are you open to original non-animated art (comic art, manga art) as well (as long as it fits the category).
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

blueheaven wrote:Just need some clarification on something.

Toni, you said...
all varieties of sketches are welcome in all categories
Now, does that refer to sketches and drawings from animated series, or are you open to original non-animated art (comic art, manga art) as well (as long as it fits the category).
I was actually referring to sketches used during the production of a series because I thought the focus would be on animation, but now that you mention the original items (like comic art), I'm wondering if they should be incorporated into the contest and, if so, how.

Would you be opposed to altering the Fan Art category to allow original items like those you mentioned? Otherwise, I'm not sure. A new category all together would obviously fit the bill, but we have so many thus far. I'm not sure what else to do.
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
HotIce
Senpai - Elder

Post by HotIce »

what if the art was used in the production of a comic or manga? i dont' see why not... a lot of manga and comics are really the 'starting' point of animation.
Moop
Senpai - Elder

Post by Moop »

A comic/manga art category might be an interesting addition for many of us to see, since it's a different kind of collecting altogether. :)

I wouldn't want to try and judge it in the same categories with the animation art, though; kind of an apples and oranges thing.
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

Moop wrote:A comic/manga art category might be an interesting addition for many of us to see, since it's a different kind of collecting altogether. :)

I wouldn't want to try and judge it in the same categories with the animation art, though; kind of an apples and oranges thing.
I agree
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

There had been originally a Non-Anime section that covered comic/manga art as well as cels from other non Japanese shows. It seems that catagory was dropped when the decision to open all catagories to cels from all countries was made. I do know I have entered comic art each year.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
majinuub
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by majinuub »

Wow that time of the year already. I've only just skimmed through the thread but I think the selections provided so far are good. I also think a non-anime would be great for comics and original production art.

PS Would it be possible to have the normal sized cels at the top of the selection list and the pans/ oversized at the bottom? The last beta awards had them mixed in and made it a bit hard for me to decide which ones to pick.
backlotanimation
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by backlotanimation »

NIce !
manga/comic art would be a killer idea,But I think that it would fill a whole show unto it'self as I have seen alot of this type of art in most of the galleries of members here.
AB only has this one production art show a year what about making a new show in the near future for just the manga/comic art,That way all collectors of this artwork here don't feel left out.
I think Joe could come up with some killer ideas for it to turn out very well,We just need to ask everyone else here if it would be ok to have two shows a year, We can space them 6 months apart to give everyone a chance to get ready each year for both shows.
If this is done every year we should make up a program, that makes it easyer for those running the show to load them up and get auto vote counting and auto sizing of the pics to make it look good.
These shows will no doubt bring in new members and this would be cool for the fact new unseen artwork would get shown to all from some of the dark hole collectors out there.
If this sounds cool to all? I say go for it!!!
Hey Joe, Sorry for speaking your name without asking but you are the Man as far as Comic/Manga info goes! 8)

Roy (DBA)Backlotanimation
"And that is why you fail!"
Yoda
JWR

Post by JWR »

Thanks Roy,

I'm not sure if we need a new show for that for in the past we have had the one section set aside for that type of artwork as part of the Beta Awards.
As I mentioned , before the change this year the section was there for the non Japanese cels along with comic art. It was a catch all and always had a good amount of entries. Whether we would get enough entries to qualify (min was 5 last year) of just comic/manga art could be debated but if we had such a section I know I would be one of those submitting an entry.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison