Anime Beta Awards 07'

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
RX78GP02AGUNDAM
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by RX78GP02AGUNDAM »

ReiTheJelly wrote:I suppose my point about the animated sequences is that the award would be going to the person who did the best job making an animated gif - not the person who necessarily owned the "best" artwork. It just doesn't seem to be in keeping with the other categories.
Once again, just my opinion. :^^:
Agreed...
Maybe something you want to put in the Beta Gallery...that hasnt been updated for awhile.
Makki

Post by Makki »

ReiTheJelly wrote:I suppose my point about the animated sequences is that the award would be going to the person who did the best job making an animated gif - not the person who necessarily owned the "best" artwork.
The exact same thing can be said about all the other categories as well…

You seem to forget that we’re voting on scans anyway. If someone cannot come up with a sharp scan that shows vibrant colours, he’ll be at a disadvantage. If, however, he/she can produce nice scans, then the step to a perfect animation is a really short one.

http://www.nwe.ufl.edu/writing/help/gra ... tion.shtml

There’s one more thing, though. When using “The GIMP” you should optimise your animation before saving it to your hard drive. This can be done using the <Image> Filters --> Animation --> Animation Optimise function. You can either use the “replace mode”, which will replace the old frame with the new one, or the “combine method”, in which the new frame is added to the previous frame. That way only changes need to be updated. Both methods will make your files a lot smaller.

Just my opinion...
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

I guess I'll keep Group then and remove Anything Goes in favor of Cute.
JuniorMintKiss wrote:Are Rilezu cels permitted in any category? And what is the difference between them and Hanken?

Also, about fan cels - are they just allowed in the 'Fan Art' category, or can we nominate them in some of the others?
Rilezu are welcome in any category, except Background and Hanken. It's the difference between post-production and non-production, essentially.

Fan Cels go in the Fan Art category and are not eligible for any other category.

Animated Sequence will be added, but as an optional category. That means, it will be a freebie submission for entrants (won't count towards their max number of entries) and optional for voters. I think that's probably the best compromise.
ReiTheJelly wrote:As for the "animated sequence" category...that seems pretty restrictive, in my personal opinion. It is VERY rare to see a collector with a whole sequence of cels, so this category would almost exclusively be for people who collect the 'paper' aspect of animation (ie - newer shows) and who are tech-savvy enough to properly animate a sequence. Most individual douga are rather plain-looking, so I don't see this category as asthetically pleasing as the others. Just my two cents.
I see your point but disagree. There are some collectors (one who posted in this very thread, in fact) who own entire sequences of animation in cels and have animated gifs to prove it. Beyond that, all varieties of sketches are welcome in all categories, including this one. I have no idea what kind of submissions will be made, which is part of the fun of this category. Since it will be optional to submit and optional to vote in this category, I don't see it as being problematic. Like the Fan Art section, I think it would be nice to recognize the talents of the collector as well as the merits of the art.

The max number of submissions will remain at 5 then. Something to keep in mind is strategy; if you think a category will be popular (ie - Male, Female) then submit cels to the less popular categories in order to increase your chances of winning.

I'll ask again about the Trophies, do we want to keep First and Second place or should we expand to include a Third place as well? Also, what should the trophies look like? Any ideas?
Not Sir Phobos wrote:Votecounter checking in :D
Sweet! Glad to have you on board. :wink:

Did someone mention the Beta Gallery?
:run

Ok, here's the latest and perhaps final enumeration of categories:

Action - scenes of action, movement, motion, dynamism
Accessory - emphasis on what the character is holding, using, swinging
Animated Sequence - cels & sketches welcome, voting optional
Background - paintings and sketches welcome
Children - younguns and youths, chibi characters acceptable too
Creature - animals, monsters, pets, demons
Cute - adorable, precious
Embarrassed - blushing, mortified, awkwardness, total humiliation
Fan Art - open to sketches, cels, paintings, stained glass, plushies, you name it
Female - the fairer sex
Funny - laugh out loud moments
Group - art of 2 or more characters
Hanken - hankens are not eligible for any other category
Hentai - sexually explicit & nude, voting optional
Heroic - white knight saves the day
Joy - extreme happiness
Male - boys, guys, men, bishonens, whatever
Robot - our mechanical friends
Outfit - best dressed, emphasis on clothes, costumes
Rage - mad, angry, extreme agitation
Romance - kissing, hugging, groping, anything non-explicit
Sorrow - tear jerkers, sadness
Shocked - stunned, horrified, utter dismay
Villainous - arch enemies, evil scientists, meanies, wicked bad guys

That's 24 categories (2 being optional). I'd like to finalize this list by tomorrow, so any last suggestions/objections should be posted now.
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
RoboFlonne
Uguu...!

Post by RoboFlonne »

I like the ANIMATED SEQUENCE category because dougas and gengas could have a chance to actually win an award.

Because frankly if you enter a sketch for anyother category besides the sketch one you will lose
klet
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by klet »

wELCOME cONSUMER wrote:Like the Fan Art section, I think it would be nice to recognize the talents of the collector as well as the merits of the art.
So, you can only submit stuff you've done yourself? That might be open to a lot of hurt feelings . . .

I still think cute is redundant, but I guess others disagree. *shrug*
darksuzaku
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by darksuzaku »

wELCOME cONSUMER wrote: Animated Sequence will be added, but as an optional category. That means, it will be a freebie submission for entrants (won't count towards their max number of entries) and optional for voters. I think that's probably the best compromise.
Optional for voters too? Don't know why someone would have a problem to vote for this category, only that the page itself might take a little longer to load as animated gifs are ussually bigger as they contain many frames.
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

klet wrote:
wELCOME cONSUMER wrote:Like the Fan Art section, I think it would be nice to recognize the talents of the collector as well as the merits of the art.
So, you can only submit stuff you've done yourself? That might be open to a lot of hurt feelings . . .
None of the categories are limited strictly to self-made submissions, I was simply making a point that some fan artists may want to submit their own works of art to the Fan Art category and receive recognition. Fan art purchased from an artist is eligible too, of course. The animated sequence category would be a mix of the animator's talents and the merits of the art they are animating. Sorry for the confusion.
darksuzaku wrote:
wELCOME cONSUMER wrote: Animated Sequence will be added, but as an optional category. That means, it will be a freebie submission for entrants (won't count towards their max number of entries) and optional for voters. I think that's probably the best compromise.
Optional for voters too? Don't know why someone would have a problem to vote for this category, only that the page itself might take a little longer to load as animated gifs are ussually bigger as they contain many frames.
I think it best to make it optional for those who have dial-up. I can't ask each voter to disclose their connection speed and then confirm they voted. It would be too much trouble.
otakusin
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by otakusin »

Just a thought but what about a crazy/insane category... like I mentioned it's just a thought.
We're gonna turn this team around 360 degrees!! -- Jason Kidd
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Ah. thought but what about a crazyinsane category is a thought. I suppose that makes sense.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
moonrabitt
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by moonrabitt »

The insane category sounds fun :P ,
Like said....Would that be under Villains???
But maybe "rage" would fall under that too since villains like to be angry...
Ilike the list
:)
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

otakusin wrote:Just a thought but what about a crazy/insane category... like I mentioned it's just a thought.
Sounds like a decent idea. It would make for a total of 25 categories and proper submissions should be different enough from Villainous and Rage. The emphasis should be on insanity and desperation. If there's a few more people in favor of it, I'll add it and that will be the final addition to the list.

Remember, any category that does not receive at least 3 submissions during the BAs will have to be cut.

I'd like people to start preparing their submissions now. I realize file size guidelines have not been posted yet, but the categories have been more or less finalized at this point so I request people please start preparing your potential entries early. Get to scanning, if need be. Please don't procrastinate.

I'll try to post height, width and kb size guidelines soon. These size restrictions will be mandatory. Entries that do not abide by the guidelines will be returned to the entrant and correction will be requested.
pixie_princess
Kamisama - God

Post by pixie_princess »

Silly question, but I assume any and all logos that declare what website/current-guardian said cel/sketch is from should be removed? I've never participated in one of these before *^_^*

Also, on size restrictions, is it the max. size its allowed at, or is it, they must be such and such size for uniformity?
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

pixie_princess wrote:Silly question, but I assume any and all logos that declare what website/current-guardian said cel/sketch is from should be removed?
In past years, it has not been mandatory to remove watermarks. Most folks choose to do so, just so the cel is being judged solely on its artistic merit and not a popularity contest regarding the gallery it came from.

WC: are we going to be using the RS gallery that was set up for last year's awards? http://betaawards.rubberslug.com If we are, perhaps the winners from the previous year can be condensed into a single sub-gallery; that way people can look over last year's winners. If we keep it up long enough, it'll make a fun time line of changing cel tastes.