Anime Beta Awards 07'

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
backlotanimation
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by backlotanimation »

Your welcome,
Yea I have a item or two I could put in that part myself.

I was just throwing out a '2 pot of coffee' idea I had, Extra energy from caffeine can be a killer when your not busy. 8O

Roy 8)
"And that is why you fail!"
Yoda
klet
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by klet »

wELCOME cONSUMER wrote:
otakusin wrote:Just a thought but what about a crazy/insane category... like I mentioned it's just a thought.
Sounds like a decent idea. It would make for a total of 25 categories and proper submissions should be different enough from Villainous and Rage. The emphasis should be on insanity and desperation. If there's a few more people in favor of it, I'll add it and that will be the final addition to the list.
I've got a cel I can enter, so yeah, I'm all for insananity. :D
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

To piggyback on Joe's comments, since we have decided to open up categories to ALL cels from all countries (even though this is an ANIME board), I don't see why it is such a big leap to open up each category to ALL production and non-production art(including Japanese and American comic art). If it seems like this is somewhat selfish on my part, it is. It is really no different than the argument made by those who want to have more of an opportunity to enter their non-Anime cels.

But, as always, the decision is up to the host and I respect her wishes.
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
Ms. Poe
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Ms. Poe »

blueheaven wrote:To piggyback on Joe's comments, since we have decided to open up categories to ALL cels from all countries (even though this is an ANIME board)
/gg

Notice the word "anime"
Image Image
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

Comic/Manga Art will get it's own category then. It really should not be compared to cels and production sketches because, as mentioned, they are quite different. The major caveat with the Non-Anime category in previous BAs was lumping (non-Japanese) animation cels with comic book art. How can those two (cel vs. comic) be compared? A comic book page can tell an entire story, be utterly and completely detailed, it would be almost like comparing a production cel with a hanken. It would be more sensible and fair to compare comic art with other comic art.

This coupled with the Insanity category will be the final additions to the categories list, which I think has enough range to satisfy the majority (I hope, at least; that was my goal after all :D)

The site is starting to come together and we should have some idea on sizing guidelines soon.
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

Sounds fair to me. :)
usamamo
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by usamamo »

Just a question - I know you said to start preparing our entries, but you will still give us time when you decide on a deadline? Cause I am little slow when it comes to getting my butt organised with scanning and such forth :P
" I'm Usagi Tsukino, 16 years old...in the first year of high school. I'm a bit rash and a crybaby...but, I'm actually an agent of love and justice....pretty Sailor Soldier, Sailor Moon"
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

usamamo wrote:Just a question - I know you said to start preparing our entries, but you will still give us time when you decide on a deadline? Cause I am little slow when it comes to getting my butt organised with scanning and such forth :P
Certainly. I just wanted to light a little fire under some of you and get you going. I will give you all enough prior notice about the deadline.

Also, if someone cannot submit their entries during the submission time period, they should contact me and explain their circumstances. We can work something out for those unavailable during the submission period.

I want to take a moment to thank everyone who has taken the time to post in this thread. Your suggestions have really helped me with this process.
backlotanimation
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by backlotanimation »

Now all we need is some wine and cheese and a beatnick on the piano! :hippy

Have fun everybody!

Roy 8)
"And that is why you fail!"
Yoda
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

wELCOME cONSUMER wrote:I want to take a moment to thank everyone who has taken the time to post in this thread. Your suggestions have really helped me with this process.
Thank you, Toni. I am sure you will do a great job with the awards. Hopefully better than the asshole who did last year's. :wink:
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

What makes you so certain? What makes you say that I will do a great job with the LOEBNER PRIZE.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
transmet
Senpai - Elder

Post by transmet »

wELCOME cONSUMER wrote:This coupled with the Insanity category will be the final additions to the categories list, which I think has enough range to satisfy the majority (I hope, at least; that was my goal after all :D)
Awww.... I was hoping with the newly rejuvenated thread that we could have a best "Eyes Wide Shut" category.
(:joke - don't hit me Toni)
blueheaven wrote:I am sure you will do a great job with the awards [sic] Toni. Hopefully better than the asshole who did last year's.
Yeah! Tell that guy he needs to go back to Boston!! :P
(F—ing Angels... :tongue)
RoboFlonne
Uguu...!

Post by RoboFlonne »

Hi! Everything is wonderful Tonie!

Could you tell me how big in size <mb> and Width and Height Pixels for the Animated Sequence?

It'll take me like week to make it... So I want to make it the right size!

Thank You!

:vict
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

transmet wrote:Yeah! Tell that guy he needs to go back to Boston!! :P
(F—ing Angels... :tongue)
Truth be told, "that guy" wishes he was in Anaheim for tomorrow's game. Oh well. X|
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

I beg everyone to please read and re-read what's written here and let me know if anything is confusing, missing, in error or just plain ridiculous. I didn't really proof read this. :D

Here is the final list of categories and their descriptions. The legend explains what types of entries are eligible for each category if it's not already obvious.

C = Cel, S = Sketch, R = Rilezu, H = Hanken, P = Painting, O = Other (uncrackable code, eh? :P)

Action - Scenes of action, movement, motion, dynamism (C, S, R)
Accessory - Emphasis on what the character is holding, using, swinging, playing, aiming. (C, S, R)
Animated Sequence - Voting optional. (C, S)
Background - No characters allowed. (C, S, P)
Children - Youths, babies, kids. (C, S, R)
Comic/Manga - Original art from comic artists and mangakas (S, P, O)
Creature - Animals, monsters, pets, demons. (C, S, R)
Cute - Adorable, precious, toothache inducing. (C, S, R)
Embarrassed - Blushing, mortified, awkwardness, total humiliation. (C, S, R)
Fan Art - Made by you or another artist. (C, S, P, O)
Female - The fairer sex. (C, S, R)
Funny - Laugh out loud moments. (C, S, R)
Group - Art of 2 or more characters. (C, S, R)
Hanken - Art used for merchandise or other non-production special circumstances. Hankens are not allowed in any other category. (C, S, H, P, O)
Harmony - Unique combinations of line work and watercolor used to convey deep emotion and profound artistry. (C, S, P)
Hentai - Sexually explicit & nude, voting optional. (C, S, R)
Heroic - White knight saves the day. (C, S, R)
Insanity - Irrational delirium, totally crazy. (C, S, R)
Joy - Extreme happiness. (C, S, R)
Male - Boys, guys, men, bishonens. (C, S, R)
Robot - Our mechanical friends. (C, S, R)
Outfit - Best dressed, emphasis on clothes and costumes. (C, S, R)
Rage - Mad, angry, extreme agitation. (C, S, R)
Romance - Kissing, hugging, groping, anything non-explicit. (C, S, R)
Sorrow - Tear jerkers, sadness. (C, S, R)
Shocked - Stunned, horrified, utter dismay. (C, S, R)
Villainous - Archenemies, evil scientists, meanies, wicked bad guys. (C, S, R)

I've listened to several suggestions about the size restrictions and decided a uniform presentation is best. However, I will also be able to appeal to those requesting larger images. Here's how...

For display purposes, everyone must submit entries that are exactly 300 pixels wide (even if it's an oversized item, painting, or pan). There is no file size (kb) limitation, but I request it be optimized in some way. These 300 pixel wide images will be used in lieu of thumbnails. Additionally, entrants have the option to submit an additional version of this same image as large as they want, which will be made available to voters via a link directly beneath the 300 pixel image.

This method will accommodate dial-up users, so they don't have to click the links, and should also appease lovers of huge images. If a kb adjustment is absolutely necessary, I'll take care of it on my end.

I realize some scanning, re-scanning, resizing, cropping may be necessary to meet this requirement, which is why I'm telling you now. Any submissions received that are not exactly 300 pixels wide or not accompanied by a 300 pixel wide version will be returned to sender and a correction will be requested. Please submit entries without watermarks or logos.

General Rules & Regulations

1. Contest is open to Anime-Beta members only. Guests, referrals and lurkers should be registered as a Beta Member before the artwork submission start date [which will be announced soon].

2. Rilezu submissions are first come, first served. Subsequent entries of the same or similar rilezu from more than one entrant will be denied and a different entry will be requested. The same is true for sequence mates of production cels and sketches.

3. Artwork that has won an award in any previous Beta Awards contest can never be resubmitted. Artwork that has been submitted in previous BA contests but did not win is eligible.

4. Each submission must be owned by the member submitting it. Art taken from other galleries, websites or collections is prohibited. Art owned by a member but not on display in their gallery is acceptable.

5. Cels should be submitted "as is," with no graphically enhanced additions/subtractions or computer editing to improve/alter the image itself. Custom and copy backgrounds to accompany each submission are acceptable. The cropping of images to avoid showing paint edges is also acceptable. Please refrain from using watermarks or logos.

6. If fewer than 3 cels are submitted to a category, that category will not be eligible for voting.

7. The organizers reserve the right to disqualify images they believe do not fit into the category in which they were submitted. If an image is disqualified, the owner will be notified and given a chance to make a new entry.

8. The popularity of a series or the lack of knowledge of an obscure series should not play into voting. The monetary value of a cel or its scarcity should not influence the final judging. Each member must vote for the cel that they believe best meets the criteria laid out for it.

9. Everyone who submits artwork into this contest must vote for every category except those noted as optional. Failure to do so will result in disqualification.

10. All Beta Members are welcome and encouraged to vote, even if they do not submit art for judging.

11. After votes are tallied, the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners for each category will be awarded "special trophies." (<-- typing this cracked me up :rollin)

Submission Rules & Procedure

1. Each member can nominate up to 5 entries for 5 different categories. The same artwork or sequence mates cannot be entered into multiple categories.

2. All entries must be in JPEG or GIF file format, sent via email attachment. Links will not be accepted.

3. The presentation will be uniform, so all images must be exactly 300 pixels wide. There is no file size (kb) limit but I ask images to be optimized in some way. I will make kb adjustments if they are absolutely necessary. An optional additional larger (in pixels) image can also be submitted, which will be available to voters as a link they can click if they so choose.

4. Rename each image as your Beta username followed by an underscore then the relevant category it's being entered into. If it's the 300 pixel wide image, please include that number right after the category name.

For example:
myname_sorrow.jpg, myname_sorrow300.jpg, myname_hanken.jpg, myname_hanken300.jpg, myname_male.gif, myname_background.gif, myname_background300.gif

If your name includes eccentric characters that you can't use when re-naming the file, just use the simplest text form or the name you're known as on Anime Beta

5. Animated sequence entries must be accompanied by a stoic thumbnail no more than 300 pixels wide.

Sending the Submission

Emails should be set out in the example below:

Email Subject: Submission [followed by your full Beta member name, without brackets]

Include the respective images in attachment.

No message in the body of the email is necessary.

The email address you use to submit your entry and vote will be the one we shall use to contact you if need be.

Please send only 1 email with your category submissions, not 1 email for each image.

If you're unable to send your submission during the designated submission period because you're on holiday or have special circumstances, please advise me before hand.
Last edited by wELCOME cONSUMER on Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.