Anime Beta Awards 07'

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
kymaera
Heroine Addict

Post by kymaera »

wELCOME cONSUMER wrote: For display purposes, everyone must submit entries that are exactly 450 pixels wide (even if it's an oversized item, painting, or pan).
You might want to clarify that it's 450 pixels wide or long. Otherwise, vertical pan cels could end up being longer than 450 pixels.
redwolf
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by redwolf »

^ I second that. I've seen some vertical pans that would be up to 1500+ pixels tall at 450 pixels wide.

I also recommend that you require two images to be submitted for animated sequences...one still image thumbnail and one animated image. Loading multiple, huge animated GIFs at once can be a strain even for good computers, and the fact that they would all be on the same page would cause them all to play slowly.

No file size limit is a bit of a surprise. I'm going to have to see if I can't resize my GIF a little larger larger, so the details are easier to see.
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

kymaera wrote:
wELCOME cONSUMER wrote: For display purposes, everyone must submit entries that are exactly 450 pixels wide (even if it's an oversized item, painting, or pan).
You might want to clarify that it's 450 pixels wide or long. Otherwise, vertical pan cels could end up being longer than 450 pixels.
I don't think she's too worried about cels being too long, as she just wants to keep the page width at a certain rate so users won't have to scroll left to right to see all the cels. Besides, formatting pan cels like that will distort the image and make it look pretty awful.
redwolf wrote: I also recommend that you require two images to be submitted for animated sequences...one still image thumbnail and one animated image. Loading multiple, huge animated GIFs at once can be a strain even for good computers, and the fact that they would all be on the same page would cause them all to play slowly.
Hence the "optional" part. I think have a still image defeats the purpose a bit. If a person's computer can't handle the load, then they don't have to vote.
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
RoboFlonne
Uguu...!

Post by RoboFlonne »

wELCOME cONSUMER wrote: Background - No characters allowed. (C, S, P)
/cry...

I have a water-coloured hand painted background that I wanted to enter... I've been sorta planning to enter it for soooo long...

/sob /sob /sob /sob /sob /sob /sob

Please let me enter it...

It really is a background and not a cel! /cry

/sob /sob /sob /sob /sob /sob /sob

Cry... not a cel... but a background /sob
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

I would like to see some kind of maximum size limits on the "larger" images. While I have slow-as-hell dial-up internet, I would probably like to click on some images to see better details. But I don't want to suddenly be overtaken by an image that is 1600 pixels wide and is 2Mb, or some such thing. :D

I think that some guidelines would not go amiss in this situation...

RoboFlonne: I'm sure this rule was put into place with Harmony cels in mind. But WC has final say in that.
redwolf
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by redwolf »

blueheaven wrote:I don't think she's too worried about cels being too long, as she just wants to keep the page width at a certain rate so users won't have to scroll left to right to see all the cels. Besides, formatting pan cels like that will distort the image and make it look pretty awful.
No worse than a 10 inch by 2.5 foot horizontal pan cel at 450 wide. In other words, he meant that the longest edge should be 450 wide OR 450 tall/long, not 450x450.
Hence the "optional" part. I think have a still image defeats the purpose a bit. If a person's computer can't handle the load, then they don't have to vote.
Dial-up can't handle a single large animated GIF well because of load time. There is a big difference between handling one 1 MB GIF and handling ten or twenty 1 MB GIFs on the same page. Having to click the thumbnail is no different than last year where voters should have clicked on every image to fairly judge which was the best.

Even a good computer will stumble upon having to load ten or more of these files at once. Not to mention the slowdown that always seems to occur when there are too many GIFs onscreen at once (especially large ones). As a presenter, I'd rather have people see my GIF the way I intended (with my douga animations, I show mine close to the actual animation speed...i.e. fast). As a voter, I'd rather focus on one animation at a time.
RoboFlonne wrote:
wELCOME cONSUMER wrote: Background - No characters allowed. (C, S, P)
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/3261 ... sonbi3.jpg

It really is a background and not a cel! /cry
Whoa... that's a really interesting dilemma... It takes having seen the show to know that this is not a harmony at all...the body is really an object and part of the background, and the 'cel' of the character (CG anime, so this cel is a sketch) is facing & looking at this background.
Last edited by redwolf on Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
darksuzaku
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by darksuzaku »

Is the 450 pixel wide restriction also mandatory for animated sequences? The thing is that i finally made one that i would like to submit, but i made it 300 pixel wide because it's how it looks best. It would be a pain to start again :P
Zetsuai
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Zetsuai »

ok ok ok ... 450 might be a little big ... (tested some things) ... so I changed it into 300pixel ...

rule change: all images must be exactly 300 pixels wide (or height, whichever is the largest side)

hope that answers all questions ... also the webpage is ready now ... after a last ok from Toni and a confirmation of the time-schedule the link will be posted
usamamo
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by usamamo »

What email address do we send the pictures too? :^^:
" I'm Usagi Tsukino, 16 years old...in the first year of high school. I'm a bit rash and a crybaby...but, I'm actually an agent of love and justice....pretty Sailor Soldier, Sailor Moon"
Moop
Senpai - Elder

Post by Moop »

If there is going to be a 72 hour window for submissions, how about letting us know after 24 and 48 hours which categories are still in need of entries? I doubt I'm the only one who doesn't bother to prepare for weeks in advance, so it might be useful in helping to make sure that most categories meet their quota. :)
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

Zetsu, 450 really does not work? Because looking at polls about Beta Members' computer resolutions revealed that almost everyone had 1k pixel width or higher. 450 should fit comfortably. If not, what about 400? I want two images side by side for presentation purposes.

We can change the rule if need be, but the overall size restrictions remain unchanged in theory (submission of two images, etc).

No, there is no kb limit but I did ask for images to be optimized in some way and if a change was necessary, I would do it on my end. If someone submits a 2mb size scan (do you realize what kind of upload that would require to attach 5 images that big to an email?) then I will make the adjustments personally. I already addressed this in my original post.

The rule is as stated, the limitation is on width, not height. Anything extremely tall will be placed at the bottom. As Brian said, I'm only concerned with width, otherwise I would've said so.

I did not put size restrictions on the animated sequences and should have clarified that there are none. They can be any size you wish, as long as they do not exceed 450 pixels wide (unless the rule really does change it to 300 pixels wide). I did not consider the need for thumbnails for that section, but if we receive enough entries, I will ask those specific entrants to provide thumbnail images. I apologize for not considering the need sooner.

The background category is for backgrounds only, no characters. We could possibly add a Harmony category if there is enough interest in one.

After we iron out a few things, we can proceed.
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
Zetsuai
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Zetsuai »

usamamo wrote:What email address do we send the pictures too? :^^:
you'll see all information you need on the homepage ... :) ...
Moop wrote:If there is going to be a 72 hour window for submissions, how about letting us know after 24 and 48 hours which categories are still in need of entries? I doubt I'm the only one who doesn't bother to prepare for weeks in advance, and it might be useful in helping to make sure that most categories meet their quota. :)
I planned the submission periode for a whole week ... so everybody should have time enough ... :) ...
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Moop wrote:If there is going to be a 72 hour window for submissions, how about letting us know after 24 and 48 hours which categories are still in need of entries? I doubt I'm the only one who doesn't bother to prepare for weeks in advance, so it might be useful in helping to make sure that most categories meet their quota. :)
That's a good idea. We'll post the low categories during the submission period.
Zetsuai
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Zetsuai »

wELCOME cONSUMER wrote:Zetsu, 450 really does not work? Because looking at polls about Beta Members' computer resolutions revealed that almost everyone had 1k pixel width or higher. 450 should fit comfortably. If not, what about 400? I want two images side by side for presentation purposes.
I thought of putting more than one picture in a row ... (^_^);;; ...
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

PM sent. :)