Anime Beta Awards 07'

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
irmgaard
Senpai - Elder

Post by irmgaard »

Well, I have kind of a nitpicky thought :emb .

Cutest and Funniest should be Cute and Funny. That would make them like Rage or Sorrow and...well...

Best Cutest ( or Best Funniest) cel sounds odd to me. X|

I love the idea of a "Comes with Accessories" or "Accessories Included" category! /no1
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

irmgaard wrote:Cutest and Funniest should be Cute and Funny. That would make them like Rage or Sorrow
Great point. I prefer that wording as well. Makes it more uniform. I'll change it in my previous post :)
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
Makki

Post by Makki »

Just a quick thought... why not have a category like "best sequence"? /hmm

I'd really enjoy seeing sequence mates or entire sequences up for voting. It's something totally different, too. We could use animated pictures. And it wouldn't be interfering with the other categories because different criteria apply.

This category would be the only one that couldn't be won by the beauty of a single cel or sketch. Might be interesting...
EternityOfPain
Senpai - Elder

Post by EternityOfPain »

Makki wrote:Just a quick thought... why not have a category like "best sequence"? /hmm

I'd really enjoy seeing sequence mates or entire sequences up for voting. It's something totally different, too. We could use animated pictures. And it wouldn't be interfering with the other categories because different criteria apply.

This category would be the only one that couldn't be won by the beauty of a single cel or sketch. Might be interesting...
Interesting, kind of based around this idea, I would like to see a section dedicated to "animated douga" basically the winner would be the person who animated a douga set the best
I didnt attend the funeral but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. -Mark Twain
Anime runs my life. I'll leave it to anime to where my life leads me. -EoP
Anime I have Seen
Slippery slopes of hellish Ice.
otakusin
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by otakusin »

Honestly, I think couple and group are two entirely different things and should have their own separate categories. I also agree with Zetsu about separating Hentai, Yaoi and Yuri. The prop/accessories category is a great idea, as well as the animated sequence (cel or douga).
We're gonna turn this team around 360 degrees!! -- Jason Kidd
redwolf
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by redwolf »

Already that time again? Where'd all that time go? :(

Maybe an Embarrassment/Blushing category would work...there's a lot of nice cels and sketches of blushing characters around.

Group is ambiguous for me. How do you decide the best group? I do prefer "Romance" to "Couple"; the former is more defined. I also agree with changing to Child/Children and Female/Male. I'd prefer one inclusive Hentai category, but ultimately it isn't important. Perhaps when you tally the Hentai votes, you can also report which Yaoi Hentai cel was highest and which Yuri Hentai.

Prop makes me think of theater and accessory makes me think of jewelry. Neither makes me think of Carrot Top. (?) Either is fine.

I'd like to see background layouts allowed in the background section (sketches weren't allowed last year), as long as the background layouts are background only layouts and don't feature any characters. Granted, most probably don't stand much of a chance against watercolor, but at least there would be the option to enter.

I'm glad to see the rule added to the Hanken category. Last year, the hanken section was disappointingly small because the hanken were present elsewhere.

I've wanted to see a best sequence category, but many people don't animate their sequences, and submitting one file is the only way this could happen. Among people who do animate their sequences, some end up with files that are over a MB because of poor optimization or inconsistent scans. If sending/hosting such files isn't a problem, there would have to be an exception on the category that voting is optional for people who can't view large animated GIFs (dial-up, etc). To try for a decent amount of entries, it would be better to include all types of sequences: rough, genga, douga, and cel.
Honestly, I think couple and group are two entirely different things and should have their own separate categories.
That should be covered with "Romantic".
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

And for my part, I would like to show it to you, but I can't.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
redwolf

Post by redwolf »

Cloud wrote:And for my part, I would like to show it to you, but I can't.
Well, damn! /sob

(Cloud, is this about your hentai collection?

Or that there's no need for a sequence category, because Cloud's dancing avatar automatically wins?)
ZombieBunny
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by ZombieBunny »

redwolf wrote:
Honestly, I think couple and group are two entirely different things and should have their own separate categories.
That should be covered with "Romantic".
Well Romantic doesn't cover just friends sitting next to eachother which should be under group.

Couples should be just that. Couples.

They dont have to be under "romantic". Not all of them are on the verge of sex :P
iwakuralain16

Post by iwakuralain16 »

but should couples be on the verge of having sex? THAT is the real question that should be asked before you make a decision.... o_O

Why do I always sound like a pervet when it comes to cels. X|
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

Just to clarify, there is no separation of cel and sketch in this contest. Sketches are eligible for all categories, as long as they fit the category. That means sketches are welcome in the background category as long as they depict a background and nothing else.

I like the suggestion about an animated sequence, but I fear exactly how complex incorporating such a category might be. Things like load time, bandwidth and file size are all things that would have to be considered. And if only one or two people were going to submit entries to such a category, I don't see it as a worthwhile pursuit. However, if someone can detail the process here (perhaps throw together a simple tutorial) for people interested in submitting entries to this category, then we could figure out a way to incorporate this new idea. If enough people are eager to submit entries, then we can try to make it work.

Embarrassed is a good suggestion as well. It reminds me of a category that was suggested in the past: Shocked. I think embarrassed is a different enough emotion from shocked that we could have them both. Any thoughts?

Last year, the couple category had nothing to do with romance. It could be any two characters together, any gender, doing anything. Didn't even have to be two humans. Which is why the title was slightly misleading.

As far as how you should judge any category, such as Group, is up to you. I will add descriptions for each category once we've finalized the list, but I don't want to pigeon hole anyone and tell them how to judge when it comes time to vote. I don't see ambiguity as necessarily a bad thing. Group is any art depicting two or more characters. As far as how you judge it after that is completely up to you.

It just occurred to me that Fan Cel should be changed to Fan Art, to incorporate sketches, paintings and other kinds of fan art. I know of at least one artist that makes stained glass... so it might be nice to make a category that would fit such a creation. :wink:
Last edited by wELCOME cONSUMER on Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
ZombieBunny
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by ZombieBunny »

iwakuralain16 wrote:but should couples be on the verge of having sex? THAT is the real question that should be asked before you make a decision.... o_O

Why do I always sound like a pervet when it comes to cels. X|
Noooo >>;....Couples are together ya know...not close to having sex.

If they are then the hentai section is a good place :P
ZombieBunny
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by ZombieBunny »

wELCOME cONSUMER wrote: Last year, the couple category had nothing to do with romance. It could be any two characters together, any gender, doing anything. Didn't even have to be two humans. Which is why the title was slightly misleading.

As far as how you should judge any category, such as Group, is up to you. I will add descriptions for each category once we've finalized the list, but I don't want to pigeon hole anyone and tell them how to judge when it comes time to vote. I don't see ambiguity as necessarily a bad thing. Group is any art depicting two or more characters. As far as how you judge it after that is completely up to you.
So does that mean that the "Couple" section is out?

Cant you just clairify that couples could mean "main actual couples" from the show? Then have the group section for just that?

Seems sad to lose the couple section....
otakusin
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by otakusin »

ZombieBunny wrote:Seems sad to lose the couple section....
I agree, couples to me means showcasing "couples" in their element. Their everyday interactions with each other, wether it be funny, romantic or whatnot. I would really miss this category. Clumping it together with group would be odd, since couple's act differently alone than with a group of people.

*Edit*
redwolf wrote:Perhaps when you tally the Hentai votes, you can also report which Yaoi Hentai cel was highest and which Yuri Hentai.
That is a great idea redwolf!!
Last edited by otakusin on Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
We're gonna turn this team around 360 degrees!! -- Jason Kidd
RX78GP02AGUNDAM

Post by RX78GP02AGUNDAM »

If couples were being anything other than Romantic, it prob should go in other categories like Rage, Hentai, or Weapons.

Is Mecha still going to happen this year? Its sad how it had the least amount of entries... even Hentai had more last year.
Last edited by RX78GP02AGUNDAM on Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.