Anime Beta Awards 07'

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
ZombieBunny
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by ZombieBunny »

RX78GP02AGUNDAM wrote:If couples were being anything other than Romantic, it prob should go in other categories like Rage, Hentai, or Weapons.
again....not all couples are on the verge of sex. Also, they could be walking together but not holding hands....they could be talking to eachother but not kissing....they are just being COUPLES.
RX78GP02AGUNDAM
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by RX78GP02AGUNDAM »

Cel of two people walking together.... how can you judge that theyre a couple?
ZombieBunny
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by ZombieBunny »

RX78GP02AGUNDAM wrote:Cel of two people walking together.... how can you judge that theyre a couple?
If they are in the couple section...I would think that would explain itself.
redwolf

Post by redwolf »

wELCOME cONSUMER wrote:Sketches are eligible for all categories, as long as they fit the category.
Sweet. And simple. Thanks for the clarification.
And if only one or two people were going to submit entries to such a category, I don't see it as a worthwhile pursuit.
Might be good to ask how many would submit. I would, for sure.
However, if someone can detail the process here (perhaps throw together a simple tutorial) for people interested in submitting entries to this category
A tutorial on how to make an animated image? Someone around here may know a good one that uses a free program. I use Photoshop and ImageReady, which I know many people don't have.

The only production art related advice I can think of at the moment is: 1) Try to scan instead of photographing...scanned images make the animation smoother, and the consistent colors make it easier to reduce the number of colors used in the animated GIF (and thus reduce the KB size of the GIF). 2) If possible in your animated GIF making program, try to align all of the registration holes--just like the original animators would have done. This makes for smoother animation. You might think that scanning all your sketches in the same place will do the trick, but unfortunately this is not the case. Maybe the sketch moved a little when you closed the lid; maybe the scanner head was a little off; maybe the registration holes were cut and retaped.

Most everything else about combining scans/photos into a single animated GIF would be covered in a generic tutorial.
I think embarrassed is a different enough emotion from shocked that we could have them both. Any thoughts?
Sounds great. Both would be fun categories to look at.
I don't see ambiguity as necessarily a bad thing. Group is any art depicting two or more characters. As far as how you judge it after that is completely up to you.
All right, fair enough. It should get a wide variety, which will be interesting.
ZombieBunny wrote:again....not all couples are on the verge of sex.
Whoa there! Romance is not synonymous with sex. Any couple can be romantic, no matter how sexual or asexual they are. I see "Romantic" as obvious couple cels...blushing, holding hands, hugging, kissing, (maybe even fighting--already in marriage mode) etc. When I say "couple", they might not even be official and still have one of these romantic moments, just so long as that romantic interaction is fairly obvious. If it's two characters sitting together, no interaction, I'm not going to know if they're soulmates or random people waiting for their "take a ticket for service" number unless I've seen the show. That's why "Romantic" makes a hecka lot more sense than "Couple" to me. And with Romantic, Couple is redundant.
RX78GP02AGUNDAM

Post by RX78GP02AGUNDAM »

ZombieBunny wrote:
RX78GP02AGUNDAM wrote:Cel of two people walking together.... how can you judge that theyre a couple?
What redwolf said.
ZombieBunny
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by ZombieBunny »

RX78GP02AGUNDAM wrote:
ZombieBunny wrote:
What redwolf said.
What one person sees might not be what others see. I dont believe you have to be doing all that blushing, kissing and blah blah blah crap to be considered a couple. Your making it to specific for one catagorey. A couple is a couple no matter what they are doing.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

I am not making this up.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
klet
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by klet »

ZombieBunny wrote:
RX78GP02AGUNDAM wrote:
ZombieBunny wrote: If they are in the couple section...I would think that would explain itself.
What redwolf said.
What one person sees might not be what others see. I dont believe you have to be doing all that blushing, kissing and blah blah blah crap to be considered a couple. Your making it to specific for one catagorey. A couple is a couple no matter what they are doing.
Yeah, but I don't know they're a couple unless they are blushing. kissing, and blah blah blah crap if I haven't seen the show. For example, I'm sure you could tell me immeadiately who the couples are in Sailor Moon. But, I've never seen the show, so I wouldn't be able to tell from a shot of a guy and a girl (or two gals . . . there is a lesbian couple in that show, right?) whether they're a couple or whether that guy sitting next to the girl is just an extra that you only see in this episode for a total of two seconds. So I'd end up voting for another cel of a guy and girl holding hands. It's too hard to judge who a couple is just from looking at a piece of art, and this contest has always been about judging the art without neccesarily knowing the story behind it. It's not about the easy of entry--it's about the ease of judging. :wink:

I also vote that we do away with the cuteness section, if we plan on keeping the child section. The "cute" entries are usually kids or animals, so it's a rather redundant category. By the way, did we do away with the animal category.
ZombieBunny
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by ZombieBunny »

klet wrote:
ZombieBunny wrote:
RX78GP02AGUNDAM wrote: What redwolf said.
Yeah, but I don't know they're a couple unless they are blushing. kissing, and blah blah blah crap if I haven't seen the show. For example, I'm sure you could tell me immeadiately who the couples are in Sailor Moon. But, I've never seen the show, so I wouldn't be able to tell from a shot of a guy and a girl (or two gals . . . there is a lesbian couple in that show, right?) whether they're a couple or whether that guy sitting next to the girl is just an extra that you only see in this episode for a total of two seconds. So I'd end up voting for another cel of a guy and girl holding hands. It's too hard to judge who a couple is just from looking at a piece of art, and this contest has always been about judging the art without neccesarily knowing the story behind it. It's not about the easy of entry--it's about the ease of judging. :wink:
You would be able to tell they are a couple if they are in the Couples catagorey. Not a hard one there.

Everyone seems to be being agruementaive. I am just putting my two cents in as to why the couples catagorey should stay. They dont have to be in a "romantic" state in order to be submitted. That could cancel out a lot of peoples submissions just for that fact.
redwolf

Post by redwolf »

Well, for me, I am having a discussion. Difference of opinion doesn't always mean grrr arrrgh or whatnot. 8)
klet wrote:It's too hard to judge who a couple is just from looking at a piece of art, and this contest has always been about judging the art without neccesarily knowing the story behind it. It's not about the easy of entry--it's about the ease of judging. :wink:
That's about the same as my opinion.

I'm all for people being able to submit couples doing anything in the Romantic category. Romance is very subjective, after all. However, if two people who aren't interacting at all do well in a Romantic or a Couple category, they weren't being voted for based on the art quality of the moment portrayed in the cel or sketch but on sentimental value attached to the characters irrelevant of the actual cel/sketch. I do my best to resist letting knowledge of a show sway my votes, because I want to vote for the best artwork as fairly as possible.
I also vote that we do away with the cuteness section, if we plan on keeping the child section. The "cute" entries are usually kids or animals, so it's a rather redundant category. By the way, did we do away with the animal category.
Animals is creatures. I wouldn't mind seeing Cuteness go. Although, with Creatures, I'm always torn between voting for the coolest or voting for the cutest.
darksuzaku
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by darksuzaku »

mmm, brainstorm continues.....

what about an "Outfit" category? I mean, a girl in a good looking dress, a guy in a tuxedo, whatever fits, the best outfit wins. I guess this can overlap with the male/female category if not explained correctly, but in this category the main thing would be the outfit, not the person wearing it. Of course the fact that an outfit fits/matches the person wearing it can give it many points.
darksuzaku
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by darksuzaku »

oh, and still another idea, not for a category itself, but let me explain,

in past editions and also seen it as an idea this time is the "Best Cel"/"Best Scene". I propose that instead of having a category for these entries, make that all the entries for all the categories elegible for the "Best Entry" or something similar. Voters would vote for each category, and then they can vote their overall favorite piece of art from all the entries.

This can be a good idea. I remember in past editions having problems to decide an entry for best cel category because i could use that same entry for another category.
otakusin
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by otakusin »

darksuzaku wrote:I propose that instead of having a category for these entries, make that all the entries for all the categories elegible for the "Best Entry" or something similar. Voters would vote for each category, and then they can vote their overall favorite piece of art from all the entries.
Brilliant... Brilliant I say!! Cough Cough... uhm what I meant to say is that I really like that idea.
We're gonna turn this team around 360 degrees!! -- Jason Kidd
Moop
Senpai - Elder

Post by Moop »

darksuzaku wrote:Voters would vote for each category, and then they can vote their overall favorite piece of art from all the entries.
/hmm I like the idea in theory, but I'm not so sure it would work in practice. There are close to five times as many entries as entrants... and of the entrants, a large number are very likely to vote for one of their own cels (after all, why would they have bought it if they didn't love it?) In other words, there is the potential for a cel to win Best Entry with only two or three votes.
darksuzaku
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by darksuzaku »

Moop wrote:
darksuzaku wrote:Voters would vote for each category, and then they can vote their overall favorite piece of art from all the entries.
/hmm I like the idea in theory, but I'm not so sure it would work in practice. There are close to five times as many entries as entrants... and of the entrants, a large number are very likely to vote for one of their own cels (after all, why would they have bought it if they didn't love it?) In other words, there is the potential for a cel to win Best Entry with only two or three votes.
Oh, yeah, didn't think of that. Well, if people think something like this is likely to happen then we can add a rule saying that you can't vote your own entries, if not on the whole contest at least for the "best entry" selection. There are many kind of contests where you cannot vote for your own entries. This would only add minimal work for the vote counters.