Anime Beta Awards 07'

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
miz ducky
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by miz ducky »

Can we vote if we don't submit anything?

I would submit an animated sequence, but I don't know how to do that.

I think that people voting on their own pieces would be irrelevant if there were a sufficient number of other people voting.
Moop
Senpai - Elder

Post by Moop »

miz ducky wrote:Can we vote if we don't submit anything?
Yup! But the majority of voters are the same people who submit... and it's unlikely to be irrelevant in an 'open' category with hundreds of cels to choose from - unless, as darksuzaku suggests, people are not permitted to vote for their own entries. Even in that case, though, it's possible for a cel to win with an extremely low number of votes. Tastes differ drastically.
I would submit an animated sequence, but I don't know how to do that.
Do you have Photoshop? If so, it's time consuming... but very easy. :)
Moop
Senpai - Elder

Post by Moop »

Argh, double post. :x
Last edited by Moop on Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

It is about that time now.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
HotIce
Senpai - Elder

Post by HotIce »

i'm not sure anyone would want to do the work, but perhaps there could be a "Best in Show" . Like at a dog show, the winners of each group go on to a final judging.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

A lot of people have been talking about unlimited submissions and/or unlimited categories. I'm not sure that is a great idea.

If the rules are similar to the past, then pieces which have won in the past are ineligible to be re-entered into the contest. If folks were able to enter ALL their best cels in a single year, it is hypothetically possible that they wouldn't have many (if any) new cels to enter in the future, if the majority won awards in a single year...

I guess I just like the idea of limited submissions. It makes the contestants think harder about which pieces they'd like to submit.
iwakuralain16
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by iwakuralain16 »

I think a limit is good... I also think that if you have a cel that won in a previous year it should not be allowed to enter again. if your cel did not win? Feel free to enter it again.
RoboFlonne
Uguu...!

Post by RoboFlonne »

Thanks WC for clearing up everything about Relizu's! :vict

How about The of a "Worse or Ugliest" of each category?

So everyone would chose a "Best" choice and a "Worse" Choice.

For Example for the Worse in the Guy category would be a really really ugly slug looking guy.

Another example is of "Worse of Joy" would be the Ugliest Depiction of Joy ever on a cel!

In every contest where there was a Worse of Category, I've always had a ton of fun picking those out!

And There would be more cels added that We've never seen before! :vict
transmet
Senpai - Elder

Post by transmet »

RoboFlonne wrote:In every contest where there was a Worse of Category, I've always had a ton of fun picking those out!
I hear what you're saying RoboFlonne, but there would have to be a specific "Worst in Show" category that people could conscientiously submit to.
Otherwise, if there were an overall "Worst this or that" that was determined by choosing from any category, then I'd be willing to bet that there'd
be a very good chance for some (albeit unintentional) hurt feelings.
Last edited by transmet on Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoboFlonne
Uguu...!

Post by RoboFlonne »

I think it would be more fun with a "worse" for each category! and not just one for "Worst of Show" :vict

I'm thinking there are Beta members that would enter some Ugly cels for each category! Just to win the award!

I know I would....

So even the least ugly "Worse" cel entered would win over any "Best" of category entered.

Besides everyone here is family... I don't think anyone would have hard feelings! /kis

P.s. Kinda like the "Least likely to succeed awards for high school"

But it's not for me to decide! What do you think WC?

P.s.s. It just occurred to me that Zombie Kenshin would be perfect for the "Guys" category!

http://neverdefeated.rubberslug.com/gal ... mID=217729

Without a "Worse" of every category... no one would see this little gem!

P.s.s. Maybe if everyone who enters also was required to enter an ugly one, then there would be enough
Last edited by RoboFlonne on Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
syan
Senpai - Elder

Post by syan »

darksuzaku wrote:
Moop wrote:
darksuzaku wrote:Voters would vote for each category, and then they can vote their overall favorite piece of art from all the entries.
/hmm I like the idea in theory, but I'm not so sure it would work in practice. There are close to five times as many entries as entrants... and of the entrants, a large number are very likely to vote for one of their own cels (after all, why would they have bought it if they didn't love it?) In other words, there is the potential for a cel to win Best Entry with only two or three votes.
Oh, yeah, didn't think of that. Well, if people think something like this is likely to happen then we can add a rule saying that you can't vote your own entries, if not on the whole contest at least for the "best entry" selection. There are many kind of contests where you cannot vote for your own entries. This would only add minimal work for the vote counters.
I don't care for the idea of not being able to vote for your own entry. I'm subjective when voting, so I end up voting for something not mine anyways, but if the piece is what you feel is the most fitting for the category, you should be able to vote for it. Plus, I think it'd actually be a major hassle to check someone's vote submission against what he/she entered. There's a high possibility the vote counter won't know who submitted the entry anyways since he/she will only see the label used for voting (male-01, etc), and might not be involved in the entry submission process.

I like the Best in Show category of all the winners though. It would add some time (couple weeks?) after the end of the main contest, but could be worth the wait.
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

RX78GP02AGUNDAM wrote:Is Mecha still going to happen this year?
Definitely. I'd never lose that category. :wink: I hope there will be more entries this time around as well.
redwolf wrote:
wELCOME cONSUMER wrote:And if only one or two people were going to submit entries to such a category, I don't
see it as a worthwhile pursuit.
Might be good to ask how many
would submit. I would, for sure.
I'm all for this category if there are enough people interested in submitting entries. Zetsuai and I would have to discuss file size limitations and post more later. Also, this section would have to be optional for voters, in case they have dial-up.
darksuzaku wrote:what about an "Outfit" category?
LOL, I LOVE this suggestion! It would be kind of like a fashion show. The emphasis would be what the character is wearing and not necessarily who the character is or what they are doing. Really great idea.

We are definitely having some kind of "Best Overall" type section that would be for art that does not fit any of the other categories. I was also thinking of having a "Best Book" category, for complete books and complete set-ups. That means cel, character and background all together (in one scan). I don't know, any thoughts about this kind of section?
otakusin wrote:
darksuzaku wrote:I propose that instead of having a category for these entries, make that all the entries for all the categories elegible for the "Best Entry" or something similar. Voters would vote for each category, and then they can vote their overall favorite piece of art from all the entries.
Brilliant... Brilliant I say!! Cough Cough... uhm what I meant to say is that I really like that idea.
I like it too but that may be cumbersome for us to execute. You're talking about hundreds of cels to post together in one category and then make people surf through them all and vote for one. I just don't think it's practical in execution.
HotIce wrote:i'm not sure anyone would want to do the work, but perhaps there could be a "Best in Show" . Like at a dog show, the winners of each group go on to a final judging.
This idea might be really cool if people wouldn't mind the awards process taking a little longer. People would have to vote twice too.
ReiTheJelly wrote:A lot of people have been talking about unlimited submissions and/or unlimited categories.
I'm not sure who mentioned unlimited submissions or unlimited categories. We're not doing either of those things. There will be a time limit for submissions (48 to 72 hours), a limit on categories, a limit on submissions per person (4 or 5 entries per entrant), 1 entry per category from each entrant and previous winners are not allowed to be entered again. Art that was entered before and did not win is eligible.

Roboflonne, I have no problem with it, but the "Worst" category usually never receives enough entries to merit voting. And there will definitely not be a "Worst of" for any of the other categories. That's absurdly rude and counters the purpose of the BAs.

People are allowed to vote for their own art.

So, what do you guys think about the trophies? Should we continue having First and Second place? Or should we expand to include a Third place award as well?

Here is the updated list of categories:

Action - scenes of action, movement, motion, dynamism
Accessory - emphasis on what the character is holding, using, swinging
Anything Goes - reserved for entries that do not fit any other category
Background - paintings and sketches welcome
Children - younguns and youths, chibi characters acceptable too
Creature - animals, monsters, pets, demons
Embarrassed - blushing, mortified, awkwardness, total humiliation
Fan Art - open to sketches, cels, paintings, stained glass, plushies, you name it
Female - the fairer sex
Funny - laugh out loud moments
Group - art of 2 or more characters
Hanken - hankens are not eligible for any other category
Hentai - sexually explicit & nude, voting optional
Heroic - white knight saves the day
Joy - extreme happiness
Male - boys, guys, men, bishonens, whatever
Mecha/Robot - our mechanical friends
Outfit - best dressed, emphasis on clothes, costumes
Rage - mad, angry, extreme agitation
Romance - kissing, hugging, groping, whatever as long as it's non-explicit
Sorrow - tear jerkers, sadness
Shocked - stunned, horrified, utter dismay
Villainous - arch enemies, evil scientists, meanies, wicked bad guys

That's 23 categories (1 being optional), which is 3 more than last year. I think that's probably sufficient. I ditched Cute in favor of the Outfit category, since everyone seems to hate cute. (What's wrong with being cute? :O :P) I'll reinstate Cute if there's a public outcry in favor of keeping it. We may add the animated sequence category as well.

Since we are opting for a time limit on submissions, should the number of entries per person be lowered from 5 (last year's max) to 4?
Last edited by wELCOME cONSUMER on Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
kymaera
Heroine Addict

Post by kymaera »

Instead of "Best Overall", how about something like "Open Canvas" or "Anything Goes" or "Free for All"? "Best Overall" sounds like a best of show award.

Instead of dropping cute, how about dropping children instead?

The problem with "Best Book" is that it really gets into the mechanics of the cel instead of its appearance. Book cels would fit comfortably into other categories with no problem, so why a separate category?
Moop
Senpai - Elder

Post by Moop »

kymaera wrote:Instead of dropping cute, how about dropping children instead?
But cute is always won by children and creatures, so it makes more sense to get rid of it and keep the other two. Not all creatures are cute... and neither are all children.