Anime Beta Awards 07'

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
iwakuralain16
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Anime Beta Awards 07'

Post by iwakuralain16 »

/ok

I had fun doing this last year... Anyone know if we will be holding Beta awards for this year? :D
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

At this point , I have been considering taking on that project but things most likey would not start till the later next month.

I need to look at what was done in the past and figure out the best way to set things up that don't end up with me having to drain my bar at home or get to many people upset.

I'll be in contact with the Admin & Mods of Beta for their input before any announcements are made and rules posted.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
RX78GP02AGUNDAM

Post by RX78GP02AGUNDAM »

Wasnt WC planning on doing it this year?
iwakuralain16

Post by iwakuralain16 »

HMM.... Either way I can't wait ^_^
RoboFlonne
Uguu...!

Post by RoboFlonne »

Hi! Here is the Rules. For now Submissions are Nov. 1- Nov. 3rd. It could change! :vict

Like always be sure to submit only ugly cels so that I have even the slightest chance of winning an award! Thank You!

Here are the entrants and winners of 2006! http://betaawards.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp

Here are the winners of 2005!
http://www.bbakira.co.uk/beta/
wELCOME cONSUMER wrote:I beg everyone to please read and re-read what's written here and let me know if anything is confusing, missing, in error or just plain ridiculous. I didn't really proof read this. :D

Here is the final list of categories and their descriptions. The legend explains what types of entries are eligible for each category if it's not already obvious.

C = Cel, S = Sketch, R = Rilezu, H = Hanken, P = Painting, O = Other (uncrackable code, eh? :P)

Action - Scenes of action, movement, motion, dynamism (C, S, R)
Accessory - Emphasis on what the character is holding, using, swinging, playing, aiming. (C, S, R)
Animated Sequence - Voting optional. (C, S)
Background - No characters allowed. (C, S, P)
Children - Youths, babies, kids. (C, S, R)
Comic/Manga - Original art from comic artists and mangakas (S, P, O)
Creature - Animals, monsters, pets, demons. (C, S, R)
Cute - Adorable, precious, toothache inducing. (C, S, R)
Embarrassed - Blushing, mortified, awkwardness, total humiliation. (C, S, R)
Fan Art - Made by you or another artist. (C, S, P, O)
Female - The fairer sex. (C, S, R)
Funny - Laugh out loud moments. (C, S, R)
Group - Art of 2 or more characters. (C, S, R)
Hanken - Art used for merchandise or other non-production special circumstances. Hankens are not allowed in any other category. (C, S, H, P, O)
Harmony - Unique combinations of line work and watercolor used to convey deep emotion and profound artistry. (C, S, P)
Hentai - Sexually explicit & nude, voting optional. (C, S, R)
Heroic - White knight saves the day. (C, S, R)
Insanity - Irrational delirium, totally crazy. (C, S, R)
Joy - Extreme happiness. (C, S, R)
Male - Boys, guys, men, bishonens. (C, S, R)
Robot - Our mechanical friends. (C, S, R)
Outfit - Best dressed, emphasis on clothes and costumes. (C, S, R)
Rage - Mad, angry, extreme agitation. (C, S, R)
Romance - Kissing, hugging, groping, anything non-explicit. (C, S, R)
Sorrow - Tear jerkers, sadness. (C, S, R)
Shocked - Stunned, horrified, utter dismay. (C, S, R)
Villainous - Archenemies, evil scientists, meanies, wicked bad guys. (C, S, R)

I've listened to several suggestions about the size restrictions and decided a uniform presentation is best. However, I will also be able to appeal to those requesting larger images. Here's how...

For display purposes, everyone must submit entries that are exactly 300 pixels wide (even if it's an oversized item, painting, or pan). There is no file size (kb) limitation, but I request it be optimized in some way. These 300 pixel wide images will be used in lieu of thumbnails. Additionally, entrants have the option to submit an additional version of this same image as large as they want, which will be made available to voters via a link directly beneath the 300 pixel image.

This method will accommodate dial-up users, so they don't have to click the links, and should also appease lovers of huge images. If a kb adjustment is absolutely necessary, I'll take care of it on my end.

I realize some scanning, re-scanning, resizing, cropping may be necessary to meet this requirement, which is why I'm telling you now. Any submissions received that are not exactly 300 pixels wide or not accompanied by a 300 pixel wide version will be returned to sender and a correction will be requested. Please submit entries without watermarks or logos.

General Rules & Regulations

1. Contest is open to Anime-Beta members only. Guests, referrals and lurkers should be registered as a Beta Member before the artwork submission start date [which will be announced soon].

2. Rilezu submissions are first come, first served. Subsequent entries of the same or similar rilezu from more than one entrant will be denied and a different entry will be requested. The same is true for sequence mates of production cels and sketches.

3. Artwork that has won an award in any previous Beta Awards contest can never be resubmitted. Artwork that has been submitted in previous BA contests but did not win is eligible.

4. Each submission must be owned by the member submitting it. Art taken from other galleries, websites or collections is prohibited. Art owned by a member but not on display in their gallery is acceptable.

5. Cels should be submitted "as is," with no graphically enhanced additions/subtractions or computer editing to improve/alter the image itself. Custom and copy backgrounds to accompany each submission are acceptable. The cropping of images to avoid showing paint edges is also acceptable. Please refrain from using watermarks or logos.

6. If fewer than 3 cels are submitted to a category, that category will not be eligible for voting.

7. The organizers reserve the right to disqualify images they believe do not fit into the category in which they were submitted. If an image is disqualified, the owner will be notified and given a chance to make a new entry.

8. The popularity of a series or the lack of knowledge of an obscure series should not play into voting. The monetary value of a cel or its scarcity should not influence the final judging. Each member must vote for the cel that they believe best meets the criteria laid out for it.

9. Everyone who submits artwork into this contest must vote for every category except those noted as optional. Failure to do so will result in disqualification.

10. All Beta Members are welcome and encouraged to vote, even if they do not submit art for judging.

11. After votes are tallied, the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners for each category will be awarded "special trophies." (<-- typing this cracked me up :rollin)

Submission Rules & Procedure

1. Each member can nominate up to 5 entries for 5 different categories. The same artwork or sequence mates cannot be entered into multiple categories.

2. All entries must be in JPEG or GIF file format, sent via email attachment. Links will not be accepted.

3. The presentation will be uniform, so all images must be exactly 300 pixels wide. There is no file size (kb) limit but I ask images to be optimized in some way. I will make kb adjustments if they are absolutely necessary. An optional additional larger (in pixels) image can also be submitted, which will be available to voters as a link they can click if they so choose.

4. Rename each image as your Beta username followed by an underscore then the relevant category it's being entered into. If it's the 300 pixel wide image, please include that number right after the category name.

For example:
myname_sorrow.jpg, myname_sorrow300.jpg, myname_hanken.jpg, myname_hanken300.jpg, myname_male.gif, myname_background.gif, myname_background300.gif

If your name includes eccentric characters that you can't use when re-naming the file, just use the simplest text form or the name you're known as on Anime Beta

5. Animated sequence entries must be accompanied by a stoic thumbnail no more than 300 pixels wide.

Sending the Submission

Emails should be set out in the example below:

Email Subject: Submission [followed by your full Beta member name, without brackets]

Include the respective images in attachment.

No message in the body of the email is necessary.

The email address you use to submit your entry and vote will be the one we shall use to contact you if need be.

Please send only 1 email with your category submissions, not 1 email for each image.

If you're unable to send your submission during the designated submission period because you're on holiday or have special circumstances, please advise me before hand.
Last edited by RoboFlonne on Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HotIce
Senpai - Elder

Post by HotIce »

RX78GP02AGUNDAM wrote:Wasnt WC planning on doing it this year?
After the awards ended last year Toni (wELCOME cONSUMER) had gotten a small group of people together to say they would work on it with her. But I don't know if she still has time or wants to do its still. We would have to talk with her about that.
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

If I remember correctly, it was going to be me, Zetsuai, NSP and Krafty with input from a few folks like RX and Hotice. (Sounds like a bunch of old lurkers! LOL) There might have been someone else as well, I can't quite recall how it went down exactly. I figure the more people working together, the better the Awards. I'm open to suggestions and ideas. I wanted to start early because we all wanted to do a few things differently this year and get lots of feedback from everyone on Beta.

Some of the proposed ideas included changes to the categories (different categories, perhaps lose a few of the old ones and/or add new ones), revised submission policy (no longer a numerical cap but a time limit), broader generalization about what is to be judged ... and.. I don't remember what else. There were lots of ideas tossed around but I'd probably have to dig up some super ancient emails to remember. I'd love to get a discussion going here and address some of the biggest gripes people have about the Awards and figure out a way to get more people to participate.

NSP volunteered to be the vote counter, hopefully he's still willing/able. Zetsuai was going to build/host the site, I believe. That is, if we do not use the RS site. I'm open to either of these presentations.
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
iwakuralain16

Post by iwakuralain16 »

I thought last year's went really well.. I don't like the idea of someone being able to put as many cels as they want into one category. Maybe one submission per? (it begins... LOL X| )
RX78GP02AGUNDAM

Post by RX78GP02AGUNDAM »

pretty sure she meant the 20 cel per category cap. Not that someone can submit numerous cels into the same category. Some were not able to submit their cels, since the cap was reached early on during the submission.
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Thanks for clarifying RX. That is indeed what I meant, sorry to confuse X| My mistake. It would still be only one submission per category with a total of about 5 per person. The cap, as RX explains, was to combat the 20 (?) items per category rule. Some entries were denied because they were submitted to categories that were already at capacity. To resolve this problem, someone suggested a time limit cap instead. Basically, submission would be, for example, a pre-determined 72 hour period and no longer. You would know when this time period was coming so you could prepare your submissions in advance and then email them to me (or whoever) during the 72 hour submission period. If you didn't do it during that time, your entries wouldn't be accepted. This would hopefully ensure that everyone who wants to submit to, say, the "rage" category could do so, even if there were over 20 entries already. Some categories are obviously going to be more popular than others, it's always unbalanced. I think this method would accommodate more participants and encourage people to submit, knowing their entry would not be denied on the basis of a numerical limit.
iwakuralain16

Post by iwakuralain16 »

Gotcha! ^__^ I guess we should expect a flood of new beta members again this time around?
Zetsuai
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Zetsuai »

I'm definitely in ... image editing ... presentation ... hosting ... what ever is needed ... (^_^) ...
usamamo
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by usamamo »

The 72hour time limit sounds awsome. I missed out last year because of the cap, so this option sounds so much better.
" I'm Usagi Tsukino, 16 years old...in the first year of high school. I'm a bit rash and a crybaby...but, I'm actually an agent of love and justice....pretty Sailor Soldier, Sailor Moon"
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Sounds like we're off to a great start then. :) We should probably talk about categories and submission guidelines as well. Anyone have any suggestions about what should be added/taken away? Here's what we used last year...

Action
Background
Childlike
Couple
Creature
Cutest
Fan Cel
Feminine
Funniest
Hanken
Hentai (sexually explicit & nudity)
Heroic
Joy
Masculine
Mecha/Robot
Non-Anime
Rage
Sadness
Villainous
Weapon

The submission guidelines will be different. This contest will be open to all animation cels and sketches, even if they originate from Spanish, French, American or Korean animated series. So, for example, you can submit your Disney sketches to the Joy category, if you'd like. I want this contest to be more inviting and welcoming.

I'd like to add a Romance category, at least. And perhaps more, so please start brain storming! :D
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Uh. Can you think of another example?
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)