Anime Beta Awards 07'

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
Zetsuai
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Zetsuai »

wELCOME cONSUMER wrote:
Zetsuai wrote:
wELCOME cONSUMER wrote:Zetsu, 450 really does not work? Because looking at polls about Beta Members' computer resolutions revealed that almost everyone had 1k pixel width or higher. 450 should fit comfortably. If not, what about 400? I want two images side by side for presentation purposes.
I thought of putting more than one picture in a row ... (^_^);;; ...
Does two not fit? I thought two would. At 300, you could fit three. If you prefer that look, you can go with that but I think that's too small.
about 300 (360 to be exact) is the most used size in rs-galleries (so the participants don't have to resize so much) ... I don't think it's too small ...
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

How is [quotewELCOME cONSUMER][quoteZetsuai][quotewELCOME cONSUMER]Zetsu 450 really broken?
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

Zetsuai wrote:
wELCOME cONSUMER wrote:
Zetsuai wrote:I thought of putting more than one picture in a row ... (^_^);;; ...
Does two not fit? I thought two would. At 300, you could fit three. If you prefer that look, you can go with that but I think that's too small.
about 300 (360 to be exact) is the most used size in rs-galleries (so the participants don't have to resize so much) ... I don't think it's too small ...
I use 360 but found most people on RS do not. During the Open House, the number one suggestion people gave me was to display larger images. I thought most people found 360 too small. But I think you have a point about how big the display will become if the display does not allow 3 or more images per row.
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Whew. Ok. Size restrictions will be 300 pixels wide. Sorry about all the confusion, but at least we're ironing out these things now (waaay in advance). The optional larger version is still relevant. I'll make adjustments to my original post to reflect the changes.

Thanks for keeping me grounded Sajora, that's why I always love working with you ^___^ :friends:

Was there any interest in adding a Harmony category? If so, please say so now. I personally wouldn't mind having it because I like Harmony cels quite a bit.

I'm open to suggestions about when the 72 hour submission period should happen. Any proposed dates? Would you guys prefer 3 weekdays or on a weekend? If we do it close to Halloween, that gives you guys about 3 weeks to get your submissions resized and prepared. Is that enough time?

Voting procedure will be via email, unless someone would like to volunteer a voting script we can use on the website (I believe BA 2005 featured such a thing).

If there are any other proposed solutions or ideas, please post 'em now. You guys have been a huge help and I want to make sure this event is tailored to your desires (as much as possible and within reason). We have a lot of new and exciting categories, thanks to your awesome suggestions. I appreciate that so much because this event couldn't happen without you guys. So, thanks bunches :D
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

I might suggest Toni that you and Zetsui do a trial run to see how much 10 images (5 300pixels + 5 larger) as well as one being a animated gif takes to send and download.
With your 72hr window there may be a chance that the inbox may become overloaded and some entries may get lost.
Better to check now than have such a probelm when the contest starts.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
pixie_princess
Kamisama - God

Post by pixie_princess »

3 days works for me, as long as it isn't spanning the weekend of the 27th. We've got allday halloweenparties here, a birthday party, plus I have to prep the house so that way everything is ready for an unknown decent sized amount of guests. Add to that that I have to run around after 3 little kids and make sure their rooms are clean at the same time so that any younger folk that come with our friends will be able to play with the kids in their rooms -or the basement. So, pretty pretty please don't make it on the 27th. :D

I've got all my submissions all ready to go I had to resize them since I already did them once at the 450 size, and then read it was changed to 300. Ouch.

Question: Do you want a thumbnail to click on for the animated sequences?
redwolf
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by redwolf »

Thanks for the clarifications and the time announcement. Three weeks is good for me; I was afraid the submission window would come much sooner. :D Weekend, weekday for the 72 hours, both are fine. I am also fine with 300 pixels (most people should be submitting larger versions).

Since you are playing the sequence category by ear, it might be wise to ask for thumbnails (still or animated or both, just in case?) in advance, so people don't have to suddenly create one at the last minute.

I think harmony cels would be fine intermixed with the other cels and sketches.

===
In the Off Topic interest of proving that RoboFlonne's unique background is not really a harmony cel...
Background: http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/3261 ... sonbi3.jpg
Screenshot: http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/5056 ... yunkj9.jpg

Of course, it doesn't matter, since it still looks like a character... It's one of those neat anomalies.
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

*comes out of lurker mode* did someone say script?

I could write a voting script in php... not sure i'd be able to get it done in time, depending on when you planned to need it. I've already written something like this once for a different contest on another site. I was actually planning to participate in the contest this year, though, so I don't want a conflict of interest. Feel free to PM me though, if you'd like to discuss it. ;)
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Thanks Joe. We'll try as many preparation experiments as possible to ensure the contest goes smoothly. *fingers crossed* :wink:

Sorry pixie princess, for changing the size restrictions on you. That was my mistake. This process is a lot of trial and error. :D

I will try to make sure the submission period is not during the 27th, as per your request. I might make it the last 3 days of this month (29th, 30th and 31st). If the majority are ok with that schedule, than we can proceed and the one or two unable to comply can contact me directly about their individual circumstances. Those people could submit early if necessary.

Stoic thumbnails for the animated sequence category is a logical point, I will make an addendum to the rules about this. Thank you for bringing it up redwolf. The thumbnails would also have to be 300 pixels wide, to maintain consistency in the website.

Roboflonne's background confuses me. Last year's entries in the BG category did not have any characters, from what I remember. I'm not sure exactly how to approach this issue. I wanted to maintain the BG category for BGs only. Landscapes, settings, buildings, whatever, but no characters. It kind of defeats the purpose, since all of the other categories are character driven and focused on what the character is doing, wearing, etc, which is why the BG category is rather special. I'd like to discuss this matter more and figure out a proper solution.

zerspace, ohhhhhhhhhh really? :love: I'll PM you right now! :D

And anyone assisting, organizing, helping with this event is not exempt from participating. That wouldn't really be much incentive, right? :wink: So don't be afraid to volunteer your services. :)
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

wELCOME cONSUMER wrote:Roboflonne's background confuses me. Last year's entries in the BG category did not have any characters, from what I remember. I'm not sure exactly how to approach this issue. I wanted to maintain the BG category for BGs only. Landscapes, settings, buildings, whatever, but no characters. It kind of defeats the purpose, since all of the other categories are character driven and focused on what the character is doing, wearing, etc, which is why the BG category is rather special. I'd like to discuss this matter more and figure out a proper solution.
My reasoning behind that was simple: I believed that having a BG with a cel in it gave an unfair aesthetic advantage over those BG's that did not have cels.
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
RoboFlonne
Uguu...!

Post by RoboFlonne »

/sob /sob /sob

/cry... she's already dead in the anime "simoun"... now I have to throw her away...

Imagelayout

Image"not sure what this is"

Image with a gold frame...

Can I enter it as a harmony cel? is there a section for that? /sob

p.s. also... I was wondering... Zetsuai said that 300 height was the tallest... Is it going to be unlimited height like last year? or only 300 height?
transmet
Senpai - Elder

Post by transmet »

RoboFlonne wrote:I was wondering... Zetsuai said that 300 height was the tallest... Is it going to be unlimited height like last year? or only 300 height?
wELCOME cONSUMER wrote:The rule is as stated, the limitation is on width, not height. Anything extremely tall will be placed at the bottom. As Brian said, I'm only concerned with width, otherwise I would've said so.
Also, please try not to be so upset RoboFlonne - this is supposed to be a fun event, after all.
I'm sure everything will work itself out. :^^:
SME
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by SME »

Wow, it's been a while since I last posted...

I really can't wait for the beta awards this year! I'm all for harmony cel category, I might submit one of my newer ones into there.

I don't remember if this was ever a category or not, but how about a category for "odd" cels, you know, like that bug butt shot that someone had on Rubberslug? I can't remember who had it. I mean, odd things, like not of the norm. I think it would be a hilarious category, plus I'd like to see bug butt again. ;)

I'm glad you are going to do this Toni. I know I've been very absent from AB...married life is something... :) I was kinda hoping we can avoid the Halloween deadline, since there's a lot of parties and stuff going on. What about that same week but Friday, Sat, Sun?
  • "If us girls can't be strong, then we can't protect the boys we love." - Naoko Takeuchi
  • "Anyone who sees me has a date with his maker." - Shinigami
  • "WHAT!??! Men in pink!? How bizarre!" - Vegeta
  • This message has been approved by Welcome Consumer...got questions? She's got answers. :P
redwolf
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by redwolf »

RoboFlonne wrote: http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/264/dead1ho9.jpg
"not sure what this is"
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/2035 ... onyal2.jpg
I take back what I said earlier... looks like they do consider it a harmony. I guess the Yun cel layer is akin to the speed line or airbrush cel layers I've seen on top of harmonies before. I've just never before seen a harmony watercolor that had a character on an actual cel layer on top of the harmony.

====
Also, I posted a guide to creating animated GIFs in Photoshop/ImageReady
http://www.anime-beta.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=22640

Hope it helps someone who wants to enter.
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

blueheaven wrote:
wELCOME cONSUMER wrote:Roboflonne's background confuses me. Last year's entries in the BG category did not have any characters, from what I remember. I'm not sure exactly how to approach this issue. I wanted to maintain the BG category for BGs only. Landscapes, settings, buildings, whatever, but no characters. It kind of defeats the purpose, since all of the other categories are character driven and focused on what the character is doing, wearing, etc, which is why the BG category is rather special. I'd like to discuss this matter more and figure out a proper solution.
My reasoning behind that was simple: I believed that having a BG with a cel in it gave an unfair aesthetic advantage over those BG's that did not have cels.
I agree 100% with your reasoning, which is why I wanted the BG category to remain as it is. Every other category is dedicated to characters in some way or other (be it their emotions, actions or wardrobe).

I will add a Harmony section since they are unique enough to deserve their own category. I'm glad this came up because I'm really fond of harmonies. :)

Thanks ever so much, Lance. :friends:

SME, is that you?!?! 8O Talk about MIA... Glad to see you're alive. The Odd category sounds kinda fun, might be similar to the Worst category but without the unfortunate connotation "worst" carries.

That tutorial you made is absolutely fabulous, redwolf! :love: Just amazing!