Beta Awards 07: Winners Announced

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Beta Awards 07: Winners Announced

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

The site is now live: http://www.betaawards.com
Or try: http://www.zetsuai.eu/5thAnnualBetaAwards/
Voting has ended.
Winners have been announced.

Here are the official categories, rules, submission and voting guidelines. Please read all of the rules before submitting entries! I'm sorry but violating any of the rules will result in possible disqualification from the event. :(

Our goal with this event is to encourage more people to participate and figure out what you guys want. Changes were made, most notably the 72-hour submission time limit, rather than a numerical cap for categories. This means more people will enter this year and there will be more entries. In response to this expected increase in competition, we have expanded the prizes to 1st, 2nd and 3rd places.

Cels, sketches and rilezu are welcome and country of origin is irrelevant. I sincerely hope everyone is happy about the changes and excited about the upcoming event. I know I am. :D

If a change to the schedule needs to be made, it will be announced here. Please note: all times are based on Central Standard Time (CST).

Submission Period: November 1st - November 3rd (72 hours)
Entries displayed: November 9th
Voting Period: November 15th - November 24th (10 days)
Winners announced: November 30th

Categories:

C = Cel, S = Sketch, R = Rilezu, H = Hanken, P = Painting, O = Other

Accessory - Emphasis on what the character is holding, using, swinging, playing, aiming. (C, S, R)
Action - Scenes of action, movement, motion, dynamism (C, S, R)
Animated Sequence - Voting optional. Entries do not count toward 5 entry limit. (C, S)
Background - No characters allowed. (C, S, P)
Children - Youths, babies, kids. (C, S, R)
Comic/Manga - Original art from comic artists and mangakas (S, P, O)
Creature - Animals, monsters, pets, demons. (C, S, R)
Cute - Adorable, precious, toothache inducing. (C, S, R)
Embarrassed - Blushing, mortified, awkwardness, total humiliation. (C, S, R)
Fan Art - Made by you or another artist. (C, S, P, O)
Female - The fairer sex. (C, S, R)
Funny - Laugh out loud moments. (C, S, R)
Group - Art of 2 or more characters. (C, S, R)
Hanken - Art used for merchandise or other non-production special circumstances. Hankens are not allowed in any other category. (C, S, H, P, O)
Harmony - Unique combinations of line work and watercolor used to convey deep emotion and profound artistry. (C, S, P)
Hentai - Sexually explicit & nude, voting optional. (C, S, R)
Heroic - White knight saves the day. (C, S, R)
Insanity - Irrational delirium, totally crazy. (C, S, R)
Joy - Extreme happiness. (C, S, R)
Male - Boys, guys, men, bishonens. (C, S, R)
Outfit - Best dressed, emphasis on clothes and costumes. (C, S, R)
Rage - Mad, angry, extreme agitation. (C, S, R)
Robot - Our mechanical friends. (C, S, R)
Romance - Kissing, hugging, groping, anything non-explicit. (C, S, R)
Shocked - Stunned, horrified, utter dismay. (C, S, R)
Sorrow - Tear jerkers, sadness. (C, S, R)
Villainous - Archenemies, evil scientists, meanies, wicked bad guys. (C, S, R)

Number of submissions received so far (give or take 1):

Accessory - 12
Action - 13
Animated Sequence - 18
Background - 9
Children - 12
Comic/Manga - 6
Creature - 14
Cute - 8
Embarrassed - 8
Fan Art - 7
Female - 14
Funny - 11
Group - 16
Hanken - 13
Harmony - 10
Hentai - 5
Heroic - 9
Insanity - 9
Joy - 10
Male - 21
Outfit - 11
Rage - 15
Robot - 5
Romance - 12
Shocked - 17
Sorrow - 14
Villainous - 12

For display purposes, everyone must submit entries that are exactly 300 pixels wide (even if it's an oversized item, painting, or pan). There is no file size (kb) limitation, but I request it be optimized in some way. These 300 pixel wide images will be used in lieu of thumbnails. Additionally, entrants have the option to submit an additional version of this same image as large as they want, which will be made available to voters via a link with the 300 pixel image.

This method will accommodate dial-up users, so they don't have to click the links, and should also appease lovers of huge images. If a kb adjustment is absolutely necessary, I'll take care of it on my end.

I realize some scanning, re-scanning, resizing, cropping may be necessary to meet this requirement, which is why I'm telling you now. Any submissions received that are not exactly 300 pixels wide or not accompanied by a 300 pixel wide version will be returned to sender and a correction will be requested. Please submit entries without watermarks or logos.

General Rules & Regulations

1. Contest is open to Anime-Beta members only. Guests, referrals and lurkers should be registered as a Beta Member before the artwork submission start date of November 1st.

2. Rilezu submissions are first come, first served. Subsequent entries of the same or similar rilezu from more than one entrant will be denied and a different entry will be requested. The same is true for sequence mates of production cels and sketches for all categories.

3. Artwork that has won an award in any previous Beta Awards contest can never be resubmitted. Artwork that has been submitted in previous BA contests but did not win is eligible.

4. Each submission must be owned by the member submitting it. Art taken from other galleries, websites or collections is prohibited. Art owned by a member but not on display in their gallery is acceptable.

5. Cels should be submitted "as is," with no graphically enhanced additions/subtractions or computer editing to improve/alter the image itself. Custom and copy backgrounds to accompany each submission are acceptable. The cropping of images to avoid showing paint edges is also acceptable. Please do not use watermarks or logos.

6. If fewer than 3 cels are submitted to a category, that category will not be eligible for voting.

7. The organizers reserve the right to disqualify images they believe do not fit into the category in which they were submitted. If an image is disqualified, the owner will be notified and given a chance to make a new entry.

8. The popularity of a series or the lack of knowledge of an obscure series should not play into voting. The monetary value of a cel or its scarcity should not influence the final judging. Each member must vote for the cel that they believe best meets the criteria laid out for it.

9. Everyone who submits artwork into this contest must vote for every category except those noted as optional. Failure to do so will result in disqualification.

10. All Beta Members are welcome and encouraged to vote, even if they do not submit art for judging.

11. After votes are tallied, the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners for each category will be awarded "special trophies."

Submission Rules & Procedure

1. Each member can nominate up to 5 entries for 5 different categories. The same artwork or sequence mates cannot be entered into multiple categories. More than 1 entry to the same category is not allowed. Entries to the Animated Sequence category do not count towards the 5 entry limit as it is an optional exhibit.

2. All entries must be in JPEG or GIF file format, sent via email attachment. Links will not be accepted.

3. The presentation will be uniform, so all images must be exactly 300 pixels wide. There is no file size (kb) limit but I ask images to be optimized in some way. I will make kb adjustments if they are absolutely necessary. An optional additional larger (in pixels) image can also be submitted, which will be available to voters as a link they can click if they so choose.

4. Rename each image as your Beta username followed by an underscore then the relevant category it's being entered into. If it's the 300 pixel wide image, please include that number right after the category name.

For example:
myname_sorrow.jpg, myname_sorrow300.jpg, myname_hanken.jpg, myname_hanken300.jpg, myname_male.gif, myname_background.gif, myname_background300.gif

If your name includes eccentric characters that you can't use when re-naming the file, just use the simplest text form or the name you're known as on Anime Beta

5. Animated sequence entries must be accompanied by a stoic thumbnail no more than 300 pixels wide.

Sending the Submission

Emails should be set out in the example below:

Email Subject: Submission [followed by your full Beta member name, without brackets]

Include the respective images in attachment.

No message in the body of the email is necessary.

The email address you use to submit your entry and vote will be the one we shall use to contact you if need be.

Please send only 1 email with your category submissions, not 1 email for each image.

If you're unable to send your submission during the designated submission period because you're on holiday or have special circumstances, please advise us before hand.

Submission emails must be sent to: abawards07@gmail.com

Thanks to syan, votes will be submitted via a script. I'm really happy about that, big appreciation to syan for the generous help in this matter. :)

I also want to thank everyone who participated in the discussion. We figured out some great solutions and new ways to improve the BAs. This art show is all about you guys and I appreciate your time in shaping the guidelines of the event. Couldn't do it without you! :ghug:
Last edited by wELCOME cONSUMER on Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:50 pm, edited 18 times in total.
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
logorzat
Kamisama - God

Post by logorzat »

I just want to make sure I understand this. We can enter 5 different cels in 5 different catergories?
transmet
Senpai - Elder

Post by transmet »

logorzat wrote:I just want to make sure I understand this. We can enter 5 different cels in 5 different catergories?
Correct.
wELCOME cONSUMER wrote:Submission Rules & Procedure

1. Each member can nominate up to 5 entries for 5 different categories.
The same artwork or sequence mates cannot be entered into multiple categories.
Entries to the Animated Sequence category do not count towards the 5 entry limit as it is an optional exhibit.
darksuzaku
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by darksuzaku »

Got my entries ready :D

When i was doing this i noticed something, with the rule of 72 hour submission period but no limit of entries per category we might find ourselves with the "easier" categories overflowed with entries and the "difficult" ones almost empty (as we can only choose 5). I really hope time proves i'm mistaken for the last part. :)
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

Got it WC! I listed it as Global Announcement. :)

*EDIT* Errrr Fixed. :D Typed too fast at work. :rollin
Last edited by Goldknight on Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

Goldknight wrote:Got it WB! I listed it as Global Announcement. :)

Errrrr who is WB? :P

as Cloud would say "lets talk about your dress :nya: "
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

That is interesting: JWR said it listed it as Global Announcement.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

darksuzaku wrote:When i was doing this i noticed something, with the rule of 72 hour submission period but no limit of entries per category we might find ourselves with the "easier" categories overflowed with entries and the "difficult" ones almost empty (as we can only choose 5). I really hope time proves i'm mistaken for the last part. :)
The caveat is this: categories with more entries will reduce your chance of winning a trophy. Approach this competition with strategy if you want to win. If a category is likely to have fewer entries, then your chances of winning a trophy are greatly increased. This has always been true for the BAs, even with the numerical cap.

The point of the time limit was to encourage more people to participate. I listened to several complaints about entries being rejected because categories were already full. It's very disappointing to have a perfectly good entry denied for such a reason, so this is my attempt to combat that issue. It's safe to assume popular categories will be fuller than the less popular categories (such is life, right?)

Also, any category with less than 3 entries will not be eligible for voting. I will be posting the progress in this thread during the submission time so people know what the lowest categories are. I hope no category is cut and encourage everyone to be creative with their entries.
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
EternityOfPain
Senpai - Elder

Post by EternityOfPain »

wELCOME cONSUMER wrote:
The caveat is this: categories with more entries will reduce your chance of winning a trophy. Approach this competition with strategy if you want to win. If a category is likely to have fewer entries, then your chances of winning a trophy are greatly increased. This has always been true for the BAs, even with the numerical cap.
I just thought i'd throw my thoughts in... I think this AB Awards game focus should be on just having fun verses stressing on trying to maximize your chances of obtaining a "trophy".. Every point of view is right, But I believe that placing alot of focus on the "winning" and "losing" aspect in this game which is supposed to be fun will be "unfun" when its all said in done to everyone (the "losers"). I think this type of thinking will only cause tons of individuals whining about size issues, my cel didn't look right, etc (stating these among other reasons is why "mine" didn't win). It was due to the focus on the winning aspects that Blue isn't doing it this time around because last year people took the game out of context into a dire battle of "I must win, if I dont its because my cel wasn't shown properly" among other things. What I am trying to say is that this game should be a just a "game" no more no less. I am not stating I dont "wish" to be awarded the trophy for any section, but at the same time I know I wont be losing sleep over if I dont (however due to the strong focus on winning i am sure there will be many who cry for sometype of fault at the individuals in charge of tthis game), so I my final point is that it really should be stressed more that this is a game verses "winners" and "losers."

Perhaps I am a minority, but this is how I see it..
I didnt attend the funeral but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. -Mark Twain
Anime runs my life. I'll leave it to anime to where my life leads me. -EoP
Anime I have Seen
Slippery slopes of hellish Ice.
EternityOfPain
Senpai - Elder

Post by EternityOfPain »

RoboFlonne wrote:Toni didn't say that you had to try to win...

She just said that some people will enter into the other categories to try to win, so you don't have to worry about empty categories...

Personally I like the way Toni has it this year! Even better then last years...

:vict
I was not saying she said you "have to win." My comment was more general in that the focus should be on having fun. Like I said. Just my personal take.

P.S. Each time you use that Icon. A squirrel dies. Please think of the squirrels. X|
I didnt attend the funeral but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. -Mark Twain
Anime I have Seen
EternityOfPain
Senpai - Elder

Post by EternityOfPain »

First, I only used what she said to reinforce the idea i was tring to convey of having this as a game verses a winning competition. I was not referring to WC post particuarly but rather the idea that winning is all that matters. I didn't think the idea was random as it pretains exactly what this thread is about "AB award game." Am I mistaken?

I can link you to examples of random comments. But that would be rude considering the person does this quite a bit. Hate to call them out.
Anime I have Seen
EternityOfPain
Senpai - Elder

Post by EternityOfPain »

RoboFlonne wrote:
No... no... You're absolutely right... But I'm not talking about EoP... Just conveying you're right.
Excellent. Glad you understand.
Anime I have Seen