Beta Awards 07: Winners Announced

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

Perhaps this topic should be moved to a new thread? ;)

I like the ideas for layout and bank... but I still think CG artwork gets the short end of the stick all around. :hurt:

Let the bloodbath begin ... :P
samiamew
Kamisama - God

Post by samiamew »

akadro wrote:
2. Animated should be mandatory to vote and counted as a normal category. Hentai may be optional to vote as some people may prefer to not see those cels. :D
The reason, if I recall correctly, that animated was not mandatory was for those members on 'dial up'.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

When was this exactly?
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Belldandy16
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Belldandy16 »

cutiebunny wrote:. Last year, as I recall, some catagories had less than 8 submissions.
perhaps in that case we should eliminate it alltogether? Like, say, if there are under ten submissions to a catagory then that catagory is eliminanted?
just to keep it easier for the organizers of this, i mean, since there are so many catagories.

just a suggestion. :D

what does everyone else think?
pixie_princess
Kamisama - God

Post by pixie_princess »

zerospace wrote:Perhaps this topic should be moved to a new thread? ;)

I like the ideas for layout and bank... but I still think CG artwork gets the short end of the stick all around. :hurt:

Let the bloodbath begin ... :P
Most assuredly.

Maybe a few catagories for genga/douga artwork only would be nice...
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

If you go back to the start of this thread and look at the sections that contained less than 10 submissions.... perhaps those should be merged with other compatible categories to make room for a couple of CG art categories?

The other option is ... to allow people to vote separately for CG art and cel art in each category. Yes, this is a bit more voting, but it would allow CG to compete on its own. As for displaying.. both cels and CG could be displayed together on the site for viewing.

If I end up being the one to work on the site, I can make it a ton less work (than for someone just using HTML) to display all the art for a cel/CG split in each category in an organized manner ;) I can also make a self-tallying voting system ;)

*Perhaps a moderator could split this topic and move the posts regarding this year's awards to a new thread?*
D123
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by D123 »

sign me up for the beta awards :D I think bank would be a great category :)
I wish there was something I could do to help but I’m not familiar with the big computer stuff either :?
Leedz
Anime Geek

Post by Leedz »

I do think it'd be more fair to separate sketches from cels, because in almost any given scenario the cel is going to win. I think giving them separate voting would make it a more level playing ground.

What I really don't like is the idea of eliminating a catagory with less than X amount of submissions. That, to me, is just incredibly unfair. Aren't those entries just as valid as the ones in the more popular catagories? Popular doesn't equal better...

Also, I have no real opinion on the bank cel idea, since I don't have any myself. (Not even positive I know exactly what a bank cel is, actually.) I'm also fairly neutral on the layout idea.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

I can't really speak for them.
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Killua
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Killua »

I like the layout idea, but I dislike the idea of having different voting for CG stuff and cels. Would there be two first places then for a given category? This would effectively double the awards, making it a rather bulky affair. If you think CG stuff just can't compete, well, that's your opinion. The past beta awards have not had a huge amount of CG stuff submitted so it's obvious that the cels have taken the bulk of the awards. But this won't necessarily always be the case.

I'm in favor of maybe adding one or two categories specifically for the CG shows, like layouts or something else, but as for separating cels voting from sketch voting, I'm opposed.

Edit: I'm also not so keen on the bank cel category because those cels could just be in other categories. But it's okay if we added it.

I think one category that would be cool to add would be wounded/dying/death. These types of scenes are common in anime but isn't really covered by any of the other categories.
D123
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by D123 »

Killua wrote:I'm in favor of maybe adding one or two categories specifically for the CG shows, like layouts or something else, but as for separating cels voting from sketch voting, I'm opposed.

Edit: I'm also not so keen on the bank cel category because those cels could just be in other categories. But it's okay if we added it.

I think one category that would be cool to add would be wounded/dying/death. These types of scenes are common in anime but isn't really covered by any of the other categories.
I agree with what you say :) and your right they could go in other categories but I think a bank cel category is a good idea :)

I also like your suggestion about a wounded/dying/death that would be a really good category too :)

Any way it goes is fine by me it’s only opinions and suggestions but we should definitely have a little something for the sketches :wink:
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Which ones?
-I, Robot (Asimov)
D123
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by D123 »

Cloud wrote:Which ones?
:P
samiamew
Kamisama - God

Post by samiamew »

Outside of Sailor Moon, which series have 'Bank cels'? Are there many?
Killua
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Killua »

Bank cels are technically any cels that are repeated in the airing of the anime. That means all OP and ED cels are bank cels.