Beta Awards 07: Winners Announced

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
Nene
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Nene »

I agree with you Zerospace. It's something I've thought of myself in the past; for there to essentially be two competitions. One for cels and one for sketches (including CG and non-CG shows).

I personally wouldn't mind the extra voting. We can even say that people can vote in only one section if they so wish; just cels or sketches. I'm sure you could make it easy for us anyway with your web skills. ^_^
irmgaard
Senpai - Elder

Post by irmgaard »

I like both sides of the sketch issue... /hmm

so fyi:
Last time, sketches took:

Accessory-Second
Accessory-Third

Group -Second
Group-Third

Shocked -First

Animated-Second
Animated-Third

though they were not all from CG shows.

And Rilezu
(which are all from CG shows) took:

Outfit -First
Outfit-Third

Rage-First

Romance-Second

Villainous -Second

(and maybe others, as I am not sure which Ah My Goddess' are CG :sweatdrop )
Belldandy16
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Belldandy16 »

Nene wrote:I agree with you Zerospace. It's something I've thought of myself in the past; for there to essentially be two competitions. One for cels and one for sketches (including CG and non-CG shows).
that sounds like a good idea!

though i think people should be allowed to vote in both competitions. :)
Nene

Post by Nene »

Belldandy16 wrote:though i think people should be allowed to vote in both competitions. :)
Me too, that's what I said. Just for people who don't want to do so much voting, they could only vote in one section if they wish. Sorry if it was confusing. ^_^;
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

It just dawned on me today that October is usually BA month! I'm glad I didn't miss out. I think the categories from last year and the number of prizes worked out well, so I can see why you'd want to keep most of that set up CB. I wish I could help this year but work and school have me completely preoccupied. The BA is a big undertaking for those organizing, so I wish them the best of luck and thank them for their efforts.

There will be a lot of back and forth about ideas, but eventually you'll just have to decide what you think is best and go on, otherwise the event will never move forward.

The best thing to avoid is too generalized categories, where no one item is actually qualified to win (categories like female are even guilty of this). The most interesting and successful categories are those with specific things required, such as Joy, Shock, Sorrow, whatever, because it's clear what is being judged. For this reason, I don't like the Bank category suggestion. It's too vague.

Treating the Hentai category as an optional freebie entry, like the Animated Sequence entry, might be a good idea.

I have a question: does the country of origin matter? I made a point of abolishing the ambiguity last year and I'm curious if that will be the same this year. Can non-Japanese art, sketches and cels be entered into any/every category?

I agree with Leedz. Just because there are not a lot of entries in a single category does not mean those entries are any less valid or significant. If anything, those niche categories are sometimes the most fun and challenging categories to vote in. I would urge that those categories not be merged or done away with.

Also, keep in mind that new collectors are entering this hobby all the time. Likewise, new acquisitions are being made by us collectors everyday. Keeping a wide variety of categories allows new and interesting entries every year. We can't assume that the same category that was unpopular last year will be unpopular again this year.

I don't think separating the event into two or more smaller events is wise (separating cels from sketches, for instance). The point of the BA has been and should always be about the art. If anything, rather than separating these mediums, try to encourage more diversity. Include a variety of new categories that may illicit varied entries. I'd like to see more paintings, concept art, the layout suggestion was interesting and so on. That's part of why I included the Harmony category last year. Some people prefer sketches over cels and vice versa, so one medium does not automatically have an advantage over the other. Diluting through segregation potentially has no end; some people don't collect Japanese cels and prefer European or American cels, should they have their own event as well? Some collectors cannot afford to collect from the more popular series or do not own "high end" items, so how can we make the event more fair to these individuals? The possibilities could go on and on and no group would feel fairly represented as a result. If you cater to one type of collector, you're bound to ignore and exclude countless others.

For the convenience of the entrants and the voters, keep the event the way it has been for the last 5 years. It's worked beautifully in the past. Don't divide it up.
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

a 2008 thread would be nice...! :wink:

i missed out last year because i missed the deadline... please sign me up!

as for cg art vs cels... i don't see what difference it makes but that's just my opinion. i work in an environment where the art on both ends is equally impressive.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I really thank you for your words of wisdom, WC, concerning the Beta Awards. It's always great to hear feedback from organizers from previous years.

I agree with WC that we should not divide the sketches and the cels into seperate sections simply because of the 'less than 3' item/rule. If there are less sketches than cels, or vice versa, per catagory, that nixes out one part of the equation. Allowing people to upload more than 5 entries per person(excluding the optional hentai and animated catagories) would be too cumbersome, considering the amount of participants every year.

Another thing that I don't like about dividing is that you are, in essence, saying that one particular artwork is superior to another and because it can't fairly compete, it needs special consideration. Previous years have shown that CG items can easily compete with cels, and I feel that ample consideration for CG is given with the animated(mainly dominated by sketches) and the newly suggested layout catagory.

I am open to allowing artwork from other countries compete in the Beta Awards as well. I see no reason to impose a 'Japanese only' restriction.
Gabe
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Gabe »

irmgaard wrote:(and maybe others, as I am not sure which Ah My Goddess' are CG :sweatdrop )
Children 3rd -> Movie -> Production art
Cute first -> TV Series -> CG -> Rilezu

Hope it helps a bit. ^^