Beta Awards 07: Winners Announced

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

All of them?
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
ZombieBunny
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by ZombieBunny »

This is gonna be fun :P
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

We're nearing the end of the first day of submissions. Current totals for the number of submissions received so far have been added to the first post and will be updated throughout this period.

I'm happy to report that the submissions have been truly stellar, so voting should be really tricky. :D I'm surprised to see how popular the Animated Sequence category is, probably should not have made it a freebie entry after all, but who knew? 8O The entries are a visual pleasure.

One last reminder: please read all of the rules carefully before submitting your entries. I've made a point to be available during this submission time, so if you have a question, I promise a prompt reply.

Ok, two days left. Get those entries in before it's too late! :)
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

Toni,

You should consider listing on the front page those who have submitted their entries correctly so we know you have recieved them without a problem as well as so you can keep track as to those who have voted when time comes for by rules if you don't vote in all but the optional ones (hentai / animated) their enties would be disqualified from any awards.
That way anyone who submitted but does not see their name can contact you via PM to either resubmit if there was a problem in transmission or correct their submission in case there was a misunderstanding in reading the rules.
This should be fun for both those entering as well as those who are running it so all effort to eliminate any potential problems should be taken and worked out.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

I agree with Joe on this one. It will not only cut down on the number of "did ya get?" emails, but it just makes the sender feel at ease. It also provides you with a list of who will be voting.

Got my entries in.
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
Blaster
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Blaster »

Hi. I've just joined and I had a question about voting.

I joined after the Nov 1 deadline for submissions, meaning I can't submit anything this year - but am I still able to vote when voting opens?
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

As long as you are a registered Beta member when voting begins, you are welcome to vote.
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

JWR wrote:Toni,

You should consider listing on the front page those who have submitted their entries correctly so we know you have recieved them without a problem as well as so you can keep track as to those who have voted when time comes for by rules if you don't vote in all but the optional ones (hentai / animated) their enties would be disqualified from any awards.
That way anyone who submitted but does not see their name can contact you via PM to either resubmit if there was a problem in transmission or correct their submission in case there was a misunderstanding in reading the rules.
This should be fun for both those entering as well as those who are running it so all effort to eliminate any potential problems should be taken and worked out.
I know this practice has been done before, but I really did want to avoid it this year. I know some people are saying they have joined this year, but the vast majority have remained silent in this thread. I was hoping to keep the event largely unbiased and anonymous.

Yeah, it sounds kind of silly, but this is how I want to do it (without a public list of names). I don't mind answering PMs asking if an email was received or to answer questions about the rules. Like I said, I specifically took out time for this submission period so I could help folks. Whether or not people contact me for help is their personal choice, but I am here and I am available. It's much easier on me if people ask questions before sending in entries incorrectly.
darksuzaku
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by darksuzaku »

Also got my entries sent (yesterday) ^^.
wELCOME cONSUMER wrote:I'm surprised to see how popular the Animated Sequence category is, probably should not have made it a freebie entry after all, but who knew? 8O The entries are a visual pleasure.
Heh, that's why i asked you about the voting being optional for this one. I was sure it was going to be a success ^^ Problem with this category could happen next year as i don't think there are many people with many animations in their possession (i can be mistaken though), and personally i don't like the idea of submitting entries for a second year even if they don't win any award on previous editions.

As for what JWR and BH say, i agree with them, but at the same time i like the idea of not making the names publics. Probably there are people who prefer it that way. So i guess, the idea of sending a PM asking for confirmation should be enough for people who feel uneasy.... I'm not a friend of PMs myself, i prefer the style of a reply like "Got my entries sent". Lol, i have already done that :D
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

You make good points darksuzaku, but I had to make voting optional for the animated sequence category because there are dial-up users registered on Beta. Rather than take the time to ask each and every person what connection speed they have, I'd rather just make the category "voting optional." I feel a lot of people will choose to vote in that category anyway, so I don't think we have much to worry about there.

Making the category a freebie entry was probably a mistake on my part, but I honestly couldn't predict the number of entries, as this category has never been attempted before. Rather than worry about it, I guess it's a good thing. There are a lot of very cool entries in that category as a result. :D

A lot of people collect sketches and animating an entire set or several pieces from a set could prove to be a fun task for future entries, who knows. Hopefully new collectors and new members to Beta will enter into that category in future BAs.

I will continue to keep the names of entrants anonymous. If anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to ask! I've managed to answer every email and PM I've received so far, so please know I'm here for you guys. It's honestly not a bother and actually makes this process a lot easier and more fun :)
Startyde
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Startyde »

This is a very late question but does Fan Art have to be of an anime nature?
"I actually really liked that game till it caught a blaze ha." - WhiteTrashShayno on Teleroboxer
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Startyde wrote:This is a very late question but does Fan Art have to be of an anime nature?
Great question! The answer is no. Fan art can be from non-anime source material, as long as it is still animation/manga/comic based. So, for example, a fan made painting of Batman would qualify because Batman is a comic book character as well as a cartoon character, even tho it is not anime.

If you have a specific example that you're worried about and would like my input on, just email or PM me with a link or attachment. I don't mind taking a look at it and letting you know.

Today is supposed to be the final day for submissions (ending at 12:00 midnight, Central Standard Time). Since we have more categories this year, no single category has received even 20 entries yet. What do you guys think about expanding the submission period? Or, are there enough entries as it is? If I did expand the submission period, it would end tomorrow night (Sunday) instead of tonight (Saturday). That would be one extra day to work on submissions. Would this be fair? Yes? No? Let me know what you guys think about getting extra time.
SME
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by SME »

I think the deadline you originally posted (tonight Midnight) is more than reasonable. You gave ample time for people to gather their entries and prepare them, and I think that was being very lenient. If you bend the rules anymore I think it might frustrate some people. Just my 2 cents. ;)

However I was thinking about a category that I think should be eligible: Death/Dying scenes. I came across one of my cels and thought of that category. It would fit the grief/sorrow category you already have. I also would love to see "crazy" category too...you know my gallery, I have quite a few of those crazy kooky shots. XD
  • "If us girls can't be strong, then we can't protect the boys we love." - Naoko Takeuchi
  • "Anyone who sees me has a date with his maker." - Shinigami
  • "WHAT!??! Men in pink!? How bizarre!" - Vegeta
  • This message has been approved by Welcome Consumer...got questions? She's got answers. :P
darksuzaku
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by darksuzaku »

An intermediate solution can be to allow extra entries for categories with very few submissions so people that has already used all their entry "slots" can help to fill up those. I believe this was done in past editions.
RoboFlonne
Uguu...!

Post by RoboFlonne »

wELCOME cONSUMER wrote:
Startyde wrote:This is a very late question but does Fan Art have to be of an anime nature?
Great question! The answer is no. Fan art can be from non-anime source material, as long as it is still animation/manga/comic based. So, for example, a fan made painting of Batman would qualify because Batman is a comic book character as well as a cartoon character, even tho it is not anime.

If you have a specific example that you're worried about and would like my input on, just email or PM me with a link or attachment. I don't mind taking a look at it and letting you know.

Today is supposed to be the final day for submissions (ending at 12:00 midnight, Central Standard Time). Since we have more categories this year, no single category has received even 20 entries yet. What do you guys think about expanding the submission period? Or, are there enough entries as it is? If I did expand the submission period, it would end tomorrow night (Sunday) instead of tonight (Saturday). That would be one extra day to work on submissions. Would this be fair? Yes? No? Let me know what you guys think about getting extra time.
I think Extending it one day won't hurt anyone! :vict

Please let me know soon, so I'll know if I have more time to add to my animated sequence!