2009 Anime-Beta Awards - AWARDS UP!

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

I have an idea for a new concept for the Anime-Beta cels award. It would work like this:

1. No scan, regardless of its dimensions, could ever fully capture the impact of the animation art work itself; furthermore, such scans are always suspect as they may have been digitally manipulated to make the cel look better than it actually is. For this reason, next time participants will mail the actual cels (up to five, plus hentai if the category is chosen) to the person in charge of the contest.

1a. Submissions must be accompanied with an official money order of US$15.80 per cel submitted, to cover return shipping/insurance/handling. Amounts in excess of the amount specified will be accepted with gratitude but shall not necessarily be taken into consideration at the time of judging.

2. The person judging will be the senior member of Anime-Beta at the time of the contest, that person being most likely to have the experience and maturity to make fair evaluations.

2a. The senior judge may invite fellow collectors of similar integrity and stronger interests in the series from which some of the art comes, to help view and evaluate the submissions.

3. The contestants agree that, if there is a question about possible inauthenticity and/or retouching, that samples may be removed from the submitted cels for laboratory testing.

4. Only top-of-the-line, expensive artwork from major series will be considered. Items judged to be inferior in quality and/or from "sucky" anime series may be sold on eBay instead of being returned, the proceeds going to the Fund to Benefit Geriatric Betarians (a not-for-profit charitable organization).

5. All other artwork will be returned to the owners at the time the awards are announced, or at the judge's convenience.

This new arrangement should satisfy all of the issues raised to this point.
Olivier
Kamisama - God

Post by Olivier »

Haha!

I suggest the opposite method:

- All submitted images will have a maximum width of 100 pixels.
- A slight blur filter will be added to the images by the person in charge of the contest. This is to ensure that beautifully detailed artwork does not get the extra attention it does not deserve.
- A red cross will be superimposed to the images if it is still too obvious which show they come from.
- People will vote by clicking on a "random" button for each category.

This is to make sure everyone has a fair chance to receive an award. There is no reason why only beautiful cels should win.

The next step is to convince the producers of American Idol that their show should be aired with no sound, because it is unfair to mute people who will never win otherwise.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Okay now...nobody threaten to leave, make a post, leave and then come back later. I can see where this is going. :)
sensei

Post by sensei »

Zetsuai
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Zetsuai »

congrats to the winners

too sad that I couldn't win a thing this time ... :( :( :( ...

but my mum got an award ... :bny ...
Angelic-Lair
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Angelic-Lair »

We promised everyone an update, and here it is!

Today is January 5, and we have not yet heard from Midnite regarding the award graphics. :hurt: We have sent her an email in hopes of finding out more.

In the meantime, Iceman57 sent us a complete set of award graphics that he made. While we didn't ask for them, the graphics he made are actually quite nice (they aren't the pre-school ones shown here, although we do kind of like those ourselves :D).

What would everyone like us to do? Should we wait for Midnite or should we upload Iceman's graphics?
beatrush
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by beatrush »

Angelic-Lair wrote:In the meantime, Iceman57 sent us a complete set of award graphics (they aren't the pre-school ones shown here, although we do kind of like those ourselves :D).
Can I have a pre-school one too?
sensei

Post by sensei »

While I appreciate iceman's desire to cut this lengthy thread short by stepping in, I think it would be a discourtesy to Midnite Kitten, a long-time and active Betarian, to drop her without at least giving her a chance to respond. The lack of a tangible award is an irritation, but no more. I think all of us spend too much time waiting for our cels to arrive.

But perhaps MK should be told that if there is some real personal issue that has come up, and if she would just as soon pass the job on to iceman, she can say the word. But I think she should be given the opportunity to say the word. Beta shouldn't say it for her.

Just my 50 yen. Still Image

Sensei goes over to SMJ to see if his last 1000-yen YJ win has gone "Batch stored in US" yet.
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

I agree with sensei -- I think MK should be given the opportunity to either finish the job or voluntarily pass it on. But, I don't think it's our decision to make for her in her absence.

Just my two yen on the subject ;).
Belldandy16
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Belldandy16 »

well she did have surjury alittle over a week ago.
perhaps she had some complications. :?
just have patience, guys. she is after all just a day late. :^^:
yoshito
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by yoshito »

I just wanted to add in my vote to wait for MK. Echoing sensei's and Zerospace's voices in it is up to MK and not someone else to determine the outcome for the designs.
Click here if you agree with InuYasha.
Angelic-Lair
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Angelic-Lair »

We're completely alright with waiting, and that seems to be in-line with what everyone else here is thinking. We really don't want MK's hard work to go to waste. :)

We were just a bit concerned because MK had missed a couple self-imposed "deadlines" in regards to the award graphics. We were not aware that she had had surgery recently, though. X|

We hope she makes a quick recovery! :jump
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

To clarify with Sensei, Zerospace, Belldandy16 & Yoshito (and all members that'll see or think about an innapropriate method).

I totally agree with all of you about the fact that MK has total priority.
We discussed the same way two days ago with Angelic-Lair due to the increasing pressure from members asking for trophies, while delivery was three times postponed.

Weeks ago, according to e-mail with Angelic Lair regarding this competition, she asked me for backup function.
Due to pressure and missed deadlines Angelic Lair pressed the swich and I simply insured my backup function as planned.
There's now a backup solution ready, use it or not this is definitively not a problem for me. I simply done my part of the job ;)
Last edited by iceman57 on Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
THE ART OF ANIME Cultural Exhibition
HD video trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS51tjKlhB0
Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/theartofanime
sensei

Post by sensei »

I think everyone agrees that you've done the right thing, iceman, and perhaps if MK really is in a bad situation, this will make her feel better about stepping back gracefully, if that is what she would like to do. We just think that she should have a chance to decide. It would be hard on her if she were working hard to finish the trophies under less than ideal conditions, then, as soon as she was done, find out that someone else had taken the job.

Having a back-up, however, makes a lot of decisions easier.
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

Yeah, that was exactly our discussion...
"What can we do"... "delay"... "postponed"... "no replies from MK"...

Keep my bunch of graphics in a fridge and serve them chilled if there are required.
Otherwise, throw them in a shredder or ask Sharon Stone and her ice pike to make rocks with them :D

If people have more details about MK recovery, talk about the required extra-time.
In any case there's a backup ready, so pressure returned to a normal level :)
THE ART OF ANIME Cultural Exhibition
HD video trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS51tjKlhB0
Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/theartofanime