2009 Anime-Beta Awards - AWARDS UP!

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
Wendy
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Wendy »

And speaking of unnecessary drama: Nat.R, your modest little 1051x149 signature image is streching my 1280x1024 settings.

Not that I'm particularly pet peeved or anything, just thought I'd live up to my reputation.
Angelic-Lair
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Angelic-Lair »

Wendy wrote:If you set up rules, simply live by them. If the rules say 'violators' will be disqualified, then disqualify.
That's just it, Wendy. The rules don't say what happens if you violate them. That's why we brought this matter to the board.

All of that "unnecessary drama" you speak of was a direct result of us doing things without asking the board for its opinion first.

We'd rather not make that mistake again. :wink:
Wendy
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Wendy »

In that case; that's a serious flaw.

I must say I'm amazed.
For weeks I've heard nothing but 'the rules this', and 'the rules that' but this was left out?
I'm sorry, but I assumed that something as important as this would have been the first rule to be made up.

I understand the problem, but once again I'm afraid the rules are clear too.
If it wasn't clearly stated that a person could not enter a cel that was no longer in their possession, then I guess you can't disqualify.
Yeah...ethics...I know, but alas...etc.

You sure it has never been mentioned?
Anywhere?

and..
Angelic-Lair wrote:All of that "unnecessary drama" you speak of was a direct result of us doing things without asking the board for its opinion first.
We'd rather not make that mistake again. :wink:
Yeah, absolutely no drama whatsoever there.
Angelic-Lair
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Angelic-Lair »

No, no... you misunderstood us. X|

The rules do state that you have to physically own everything you submit. They just don't state a penalty for breaking the rules. That's what we're asking the board about. :wink:

The rules for this year's awards are the same as those used in the previous two competitions. Maybe a penalty should be clearly stated in the future.
Wendy
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Wendy »

Right. No wonder this thread is so long.
Well, if the penalty isn't clear then I say...

Hang them from their toes over the eternal pit of upside down sinners!!!! Image

No seriously, just disqualify them and get it over with already.
How can anyone object to that?
And asking the board now after deciding so many things on your own seems a bit...how do I say this...unnecessary now.

Besides; people seem eager to get rid of this thread anyway, so I'll just stop being a nasty bugger and leave this board in peace again.
Angelic-Lair
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Angelic-Lair »

Wendy wrote:No seriously, just disqualify them and get it over with already... Besides; people seem eager to get rid of this thread anyway...
Your wish is our command. :bow

:P

Seriously though, we'd be happy to bring this infamous thread to an end.

Consider the item disqualified.
Wendy
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Wendy »

Angelic-Lair wrote:Consider the item disqualified.
Good job! /no1
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Sensei submits Wendy to the Vatican for beatification.
Nat.R
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Nat.R »

to be clear with everybody here, it was me,

I'm french, my english is not very good as you can read...

I put a Fanart (I painted my self) but I sold it in midle/end 2009.
The Sakura and Syaoran fancel: http://natcels.rubberslug.com/gallery/i ... mID=234777
I did'n understood that the item must be in our possesion....

Sorry about that
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

So to change the subject a bit. I've been chatting with Wendy via PM about this, but she thought maybe I should post this idea. So of course....why not keep this thread alive. IT'S ALIVE!!!! Anyway. My idea:

In order to avoid the annual brain damage that is the anime-beta awards for those kind enough to volunteer to run it, why can't we start a thread NOW and I would make it into a sticky and we could work out all the bugs for future awards. This means come up with rules and such that would be set in stone by the next awards and for all awards in the coming years. I realize that those who volunteer for the awards try to "make it better" each year when they take them over, but it seems to become a headache of discussion each and every year. It's such a shame that there are members who have backed out of the awards for years now because of such bickering. So why not fix issues now so that when the awards do come around, the person in charge won't be starting from scratch and having to pick people's brains. All they would need to worry about is the website, organizing, and awards. This is just a suggestion of course, but I thought it was worth bringing up.

Ok.....there it is. :P
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

Wendy wrote:...And no employer is going to give you a raise because you won in the Anime-Beta Cel Awards.
Nooooooooo !!! I've been fooled !!
Goldknight wrote:All they would need to worry about is the website, organizing, and awards.
I ask for 2010 award design job, and I'm damn serious.
Professionnal design ready (the "backup"), where I simply have to change the 2009 year engraved on it to a 2010 year.
The remark I wrote about "organizers / staff" can't compete is in my opinion the best way to avoid claims about "partial" votes.

So if I'm in staff, I don't compete at all. And one problem already solved : awards ready.
(Additionnaly they can be easily reused during years just by changing categories and names on it).
THE ART OF ANIME Cultural Exhibition
HD video trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS51tjKlhB0
Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/theartofanime
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

*signs back on* :P

GK -- I think you and Wendy have a really interesting idea! Some consistency from year to year might be nice, especially considering almost everyone each year uses the previous year's "stuff" to get started anyways.

I think, though ... it still wouldn't totally alleviate the headache -- the category list is always a point of contention as is the inclusion of rilzeu, etc into the categories. Or were you guys proposing a rule set that included this stuff?
Wendy
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Wendy »

iceman57 wrote:Nooooooooo !!! I've been a fool !!
For once...no arguements here.

zerospace wrote:GK -- I think you and Wendy have a really interesting idea!
No, no...co credit to me.
But I really think GK has a good idea here and told her I thought she should at least post it to see what you guys think.
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

I was thinking get the categories set, rilezu/repro issue fixed, rules done, etc. :)
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

Angelic-Lair
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Angelic-Lair »

Solidifying the rules sounds like a great idea. :) It would certainly save a few headaches in the long run. :hurt:
But... we thought we already solved the rilezu/repro issue. We ran a poll and everything. http://www.anime-beta.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=26669 :shrug