2009 Anime-Beta Awards - AWARDS UP!

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Re: ideas for 2 new catagories

Post by cutiebunny »

Starfighter wrote:Hello Beta members,

Would like some input on 2 new catagories for this years awards. Suggestions of 2 new catagories. From now until Monday 3:00 pm eastern time. Will create another post with a vote on the catagories from Monday 4:00 until wednesday at 3:00 eastern time .

Looking to hearing from you all so we can make this a great beta-awards contest.

This will be added on to the 31 catagories
I didn't see a thread for suggestions for two new catagories, so I'll just post my request here.

I'd like to see 'Tranquility', which was featured in this year's sketch awards, return for the cel awards.

Belldandy16
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Belldandy16 »

what we really need is to *once and for all* decide what the rules are so we never run in to problems like this...
BUT...
*gets on soapbox*
reason this will never happen is because noone can figure out what they want to do. there's tons of discussions but noone wants to make a final decision. Angelic-Lair and the others tried to make some kinds of decisions (because only 3 people wanted to be on the team) but then everyone got up in arms and thought that they were laying down the law and all but thats not true. She wouldnt have started this thread if they'd wanted to "lay down the law".
Were all new to this. We dont fully know what were doing here.

Guys, this is just a little fan-run awards show. nothing to get angry over. Noone here is going to be fully satisfied with the final product. Thats life. Compromises are a part of everyday life. You give and you take.

If you dont like something, thats perfectly fine! :)
Please, voice your opinion! just dont make it out to be like we are taking away your God given rights or something.
dont we have enough frustrations in life, already? lol :D

*gets off soapbox*
:run
kizu
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by kizu »

Hmm... Lots of discussion but well since I really would like to see a Determination/Resoluteness category I guess I'll post to here to remind the organizers. Original request was in the first 2009 Beta Cel Awards thread. I hope there can be a vote on that. Oh and I want to make it clear that it's in no way a substitute or a replacement for "Hero" category. I think those are separate and hardly comparable things.
benten
Kamisama - God

Post by benten »

Before the rules are firmly cemented in place, I would like to offer a suggestion.

I believe the rules should state the number of awards to be offered per category. I believe a first, second, and third place award is the current tradition. As with the sketch awards, I would like to suggest that the full three awards be offered in a category if the minimum of 5 entries are received, two awards if only 4 entries are received, one award if only 3 entries are received. When the next awards event rolls around, it would then be a natural to suggest that categories that didn't make the minimum number of entries be considered for elimination / replacement by a potentially more popular category.

I believe this approach has the advantage of reducing the work associated with resubmissions in the case of categories eliminated due to a lack of entries. I suspect that this may be an entirely unnecessary suggestion given the high level of interest in the awards this year.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

I would make a suggestion that there be time for a "display" period before voting commences so any corrections can be made before the voting.

We have had a few times in which questions have occured as to if a cel belongs in a catagory. This is true with Hanken images being submitted in non Hanken catagories by mistake.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Nene
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Nene »

JWR wrote:I would make a suggestion that there be time for a "display" period before voting commences so any corrections can be made before the voting.

We have had a few times in which questions have occured as to if a cel belongs in a catagory. This is true with Hanken images being submitted in non Hanken catagories by mistake.
I second the display period. The only time I entered into the Awards, my cels were missed out and so many people voted without even seeing my cels. They were put up the following day but by that time it was too late. I don't take part in the Awards anymore but a display period definately gives room for error to be corrected.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I disagree that the rules should be 'set in stone' for all further competitions. This hobby is always evolving, and thus, the rules should also evolve. In some contests repro cels were not allowed, likely due to the stigma of having 'mass produced' art. Now, they are accepted.

The same thing goes for how many prizes are to be awarded. There was a time when there was just a winner and a runner up prize. Now, when the five entries per category have been reached, there are three. I would imagine that, should the forum one day be innudated with members, that we may even consider 8th place prizes.

Perhaps it's just the way I read it, but I do not care for the 'pity party' approach that I read on Bell's post. Some groups who organized previous events had less members work on the project than the five(?) that you have now. I'm sorry that it's your first time organizing this project, but every other organizer had to go through this too. The only difference is that most organizers didn't use it as an excuse. They sucked it up, learned from their mistakes, and went on with the show.

IMO, the nice thing about having the awards and having participated in a few of them, you see what works and what doesn't. And you build on that. And even after all the votes have been counted and the prizes have been given out, you see things that you probably should have done different. And you remember that, so, when the next awards come around, you bring it up to the forum. That's why I brought up the division of shikishi in the last Awards topic to those that are colored and those that are not. That was the one thing that, in the last awards project, I could have changed.

Anyways, hopefully you'll air out all possibilities on the forum prior to making it a rule. In the end, not everyone will be happy, but if you give equal weight to everyone's ideas, I think most will be satisfied.
benten
Kamisama - God

Post by benten »

I agree with JWR. I believe a display period before starting the actual voting has a lot of merit.
Angelic-Lair
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Angelic-Lair »

Just to clarify once and for all so that there is no more confusion over this:

Are the organizers of the awards here just to implement the popular opinion of the community?

We were all originally under the impression that we had some kind of say in how the awards are "organized".

Thanks.
Angelic-Lair
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Angelic-Lair »

I agree with JWR. I believe a display period before starting the actual voting has a lot of merit.
We could make the first two days of voting a "viewing only" period, while the remaining five would be regular voting days. We don't want to shorten the time between submissions and voting, as we need that time to code the website.
Thoughts?
benten
Kamisama - God

Post by benten »

We could make the first two days of voting a "viewing only" period, while the remaining five would be regular voting days. We don't want to shorten the time between submissions and voting, as we need that time to code the website.
Thoughts?
Sounds like a reasonable idea to me.
benten
Kamisama - God

Post by benten »

I am going to suggest a whimsical sort of category, but I’m afraid I don’t have a good name for it. For the moment, let me call it: Visual Flourishes. I’m thinking cels with one of more of those helpful visual clues, such as sweat drops, sparkles, or the like, but not written words. I’d love to include hammers from hammerspace as a tribute to Akane of Ranma ½, but I don’t think that’s really appropriate to the concept I’m suggesting. If someone thinks the idea might be interesting, I'd welcome a better title or more refined idea as to the category.

Although more serious categories such “Determination / Resolutenessâ€
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

Has there ever been a BAs without a viewing period? I don't remember but it's come to be something I expect every year. There are always errors in these contests, it's impossible to avoid them. People don't read the rules and submit the wrong kind of cel to a category, the people running it may not catch the error, and then you get things in the wrong category. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Your job as organizer is to figure out what to do. There's not a genuine handbook on "how to do" this event. My trepidation is that it seems like a group has volunteered for this project that has never participated in a BAs before, either in the contest itself or even in the discussion thread leading up to one.

Perhaps look back on old BAs threads if you want your answer about how things unfold. Your job is to listen to feedback and make a final decision. You can either concede a lot, a little or none at all. Just go with your gut but don't expect everyone to be happy. If the event belongs to the community, how far away you stray from the community will determine how well received your approach will be. It's a combination of tact, diplomacy and decisiveness.
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
Moop
Senpai - Elder

Post by Moop »

cutiebunny wrote: Now, they are accepted.
Because the organizer declared them so without public discussion. Just as I would probably oust them if I weren't too impatient to put up with all the garbage that goes along with organizing. Just as a multitude of other changes have been made over the years. The original point having been:
Angelic-Lair wrote:We were all originally under the impression that we had some kind of say in how the awards are "organized".
Unless something has suddenly changed, clearly you do. To say otherwise would be hypocrisy. But as WC so eloquently points out, tact and diplomacy are key.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Moop wrote:Because the organizer declared them so without public discussion. Just as I would probably oust them if I weren't too impatient to put up with all the garbage that goes along with organizing. Just as a multitude of other changes have been made over the years.
I think that Angelic-Lair took the list from the previous year's awards. I recall that last year, we did have a discussion concerning the entry of repro & rilezu cels on the forum. The forum was evenly divided regarding this media. At that time, Zero and I made the decision to allow repros & rilezu. This decision was based on the fact that, in many cases, rilezu are one-of-a-kind items. Additionally, we both felt that as the hobby evolved, so too should the items submitted. We also imposed a limit that, if a repro/rilezu was submitted to one category, it could not be submitted by a different user to the same or another category. The person who submitted the artwork first would be allowed to use it for that category.

If this year's committee would like to change this, they are more than free to do so.

I, too, agree that there needs to be a viewing period. And as it's already been mentioned, unless you're familiar with every anime and artist out there(and congrats if you are - that's a lot to know), there's no way that you're going to know whether something is a hanken or not and if something is a fancel or fan character.

Ultimately, as organizers, it's your choice as to how much feedback you want to incorporate in the final list/rules. But, as you can see from the last few pages, if you completely ignore the community and their wants, you're going to get a lot of heated feedback.