Let's Discuss Rules

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
Olivier
Kamisama - God

Post by Olivier »

cutiebunny wrote:I do not agree with Olivier's idea as well. I don't see how one could really judge what, artistically, is best. What I think is best might not be how everyone else sees it.
Well that's the whole point of the contest, not everyone will vote for the same item because different people have different opinions. I am sure you can simply choose the one cel that you like best.
Basically I am just saying "Vote for the cel you LIKE. All the entries have been accepted as so, thus meaning they fit the category name. No need to keep that category name in mind when voting, it does not matter".

BTW another suggestion: when you give the results, could you let us know the number of votes that each winning item got? My cel got the "most votes" award but I don't even know how many people voted for it, it's a bit of a shame.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

One solution to the size pixel problem might be to go back to what was done one of earlier Beta Awards.

If I remember correctly we sent 2 files for each picture 1 a set size to be used as the "thumbnail" a second larger scan that was then used for the display and was displayed after the thumbnail was clicked upon. There was a limit set as to file size.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

Sensei wrote: 1. A set of objective criteria to be used in an even-handed way for all items submitted: condition, uniqueness, importance in the series, artistic composition, use of color, etc.
2. A smallish panel of experienced judges with background in some artistically-related profession or pastime (e.g., photography, web design, teaching art)
3. A fairly tight set of rules for submission, including a full (300 dpi) unaltered scan of the item to be judged. A scan of this detail can be zoomed into to look for evidence of digital manipulation or damage in the original.
4. Probably, as with the events described above, a series of elimination rounds so that the final deliberation is made on a small slate of contestants, probably no more than 15.
1. Agreed, the basic, the validation procedure
2. Definitively not, otherwise close all the museums and galleries around the globe and only allow scientists to enter... nonsense.
3. Any pic can be altered
JWR wrote:There was a limit set as to file size.
800x600 would be great.
Olivier wrote:Well that's the whole point of the contest, not everyone will vote for the same item because different people have different opinions. I am sure you can simply choose the one cel that you like best.
Nonsense, that means to remove all the categories and do a large pot wrote on it "best cel".
This had been done years ago and been suppressed.

By using the "name fitting criteria" people judge on esthetics and not on technics.
Criteria of an art fitting a name is easier and as one of the heads wrote about (GK I think) offers everyone a chance to win.
THE ART OF ANIME Cultural Exhibition
HD video trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS51tjKlhB0
Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/theartofanime
Olivier
Kamisama - God

Post by Olivier »

iceman57 wrote:
Olivier wrote:Well that's the whole point of the contest, not everyone will vote for the same item because different people have different opinions. I am sure you can simply choose the one cel that you like best.
Nonsense, that means to remove all the categories and do a large pot wrote on it "best cel".
This had been done years ago and been suppressed.
No, I meant choose the cel you like best in each category.
By using the "name fitting criteria" people judge on esthetics and not on technics
Again, no. People judge neither the esthetics nor the technique. They just pick one cel that corresponds to the category name, and it doesn't matter to them if the cel is not beautiful at all.
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

Maybe engrave this 5 years common sense rule in marble as a main AB award rule :

Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

Ugh. Let's not try to micromanage this thing. :roll: We aren't trying to nit-pick on each little thing. I think what the best thing to do is simply list common issues and then we can create separate threads to address each of the issues instead of one big mess in one spot. Some issues won't be dealt with and will never change. The issues of how people vote. That won't be changing. The beta awards have become a popular staple because of their fairness that allows for everyone to participate and enter. What I would prefer is to make a simple list and we'll see what the common issues are. Then create new threads. Here's mine:

1. Re-vamp entry rules to discuss consequences when they're broken
2. Where to put the rilezu and repros
3. What should be allowed in the settei category and should it be re-named
4. Should everyone have to vote that entered.
5. Cel and Sketches. Together? Separate?
6. Number of entries per category. What's the minimum

That's what I can think of on the spot. I imagine I'll come up with others. Soooo if y'all have the same issues then put them in your list or add others. Then after everyone has weighed in we can pick out the common threads and go from there. As of right now simply discussing your thoughts on a variety of issues is getting us nowhere. X|
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

Goldknight wrote: 5. Cel and Sketches. Together? Separate?
There are still no thread start in the "Genga" section, while there are 20 replies on cels one. So do people focus more on cels than on sketches ? In this condition maybe group them ?...
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

We used to group them together and then this last year they were separated. So that's why I created a separate area of the forum. If they get merged again then that section will disappear.
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest

Wendy
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Wendy »

Maybe we should simply do a poll on the Cel/Sketch question?
That way, people can give their opinion about the matter without having to actively participate in the discussion, as I know some people are reluctant to get too involved.

I'd say seperate them.
With all new series being CG, genga and douga are in a league of their own now.
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

Yeah I'll start separate threads for each poll. I'm just trying to figure out what each poll needs to be of. That's why for now I don't need anyone to tell me what they would vote on, just what issues need to be voted on and discussed. Then we can break each issue off into a separate discussion. The sketch/cel thing will be a separate poll. I need to know what else. :)

iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

Goldknight wrote: 6. Number of entries per category. What's the minimum
What about 8, this is common in every sport competition to have the "last quarter" of teams.
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

Would it be easier to start with a single poll regarding separating cels and sketches, and after that is answered, continue with polls on the other items? Because some of the other stuff may change if the cels and sketches go back into one set of awards, ya know? ;)
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

To be honest, I became a lot less interested in the December contest after the sketches were moved out of it. That doesn't mean that I think anything's wrong either of the contest's setups. It's just that I'm much more interested in sketches these days. That's all.
benten
Kamisama - God

Post by benten »

I agree with the suggestion that the place to start is the question of whether there is a combined event or separate cel / sketch events. The importance of other issues might change depending on the resolution of that issue.
Belldandy16
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Belldandy16 »

zerospace wrote:Would it be easier to start with a single poll regarding separating cels and sketches, and after that is answered, continue with polls on the other items?
thats a great start!
i know there is so much division on that subject.
It would be good to get it done and over with once and for all.

perhaps leave the polls open for a few weeks since it is a major issue (and we have quite a bit of time till the next awards)?