Let's Discuss Rules

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
Belldandy16
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by Belldandy16 »

oh ok! thanks Zero! :friends:
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Once all of the rules finish getting hammered out, a new thread will be started to call for volunteers for The 2010 Sketch Awards. So keep checking back in the next few weeks. I would like to include as many members of the community as possible in the creation of these events, as they are for and by the members. :)

I would like to take this opportunity to thank JWR and Goldknight for shouldering the hefty task of running all the Rule and Regulations threads and polls for the beginning of this year's awards. Their heroic efforts definitely deserve a lot of recognition. :bow :bow

The 51% majority stands firm for the inclusion of Relizu into the 2010 Awards. Next year's organizers can re-run the poll and see if sentiments have shifted. :^^:

But don't fret! The Sketch Awards are coming first; the Cel Awards are off in the distant future. :D
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

I would appreciate to re-open the aspect of staff member (and their family) that CAN'T compete like in any competition. That offers a more credible event management, disconnection from pressure and avoid people to claim "this is xxxx that is the friend of yyyy that won zzzz award".
THE ART OF ANIME Cultural Exhibition
HD video trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS51tjKlhB0
Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/theartofanime
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

iceman57 wrote:I would appreciate to re-open the aspect of staff member (and their family) that CAN'T compete like in any competition. That offers a more credible event management, disconnection from pressure and avoid people to claim "this is xxxx that is the friend of yyyy that won zzzz award".
Just to clarify, are you wanting to change the rules so that the organizers of the event cannot participate? Or do you mean Anime-Beta staff members, like moderators and administrators?

Either way, these awards events get so little participation as it is, when compared to the total membership of this website. I, personally, believe it would be detrimental to remove so many active members from the pool of participants.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

iceman57 wrote:I would appreciate to re-open the aspect of staff member (and their family) that CAN'T compete like in any competition. That offers a more credible event management, disconnection from pressure and avoid people to claim "this is xxxx that is the friend of yyyy that won zzzz award".
X|

This is *NOT* a serious competition. This is a *FUN* competition.

Other than a cute little graphic, you don't win anything. There are no shoe contracts, no Super Bowl "I'm going to Disneyland!" commercials, nada.

I see this a moot point. It's an awards period that is open to all members of Anime Beta. I'd like to keep it that way.
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

When the organisation staff (meaning not AB board staff but the yearly staff attached to event management) is out of competition, the competition itself gain in readability and integrity.

I'm not saying that xxxx or yyyy fooled zzzz, this is simply a safety belt to avoid claims. Coming back to "fun", well when you see BWA prices I don't really figure where really is the "fun" gone except in a grave.

Average age of total board members is 30.8 * so a bit of "pro" instead of fun with some rules took from classic competition will make this yearly event more appreciable. If this is a "free hug" festival, terms like award, competition or thread titles like 'let's discuss rules' will not be appropriate.

Again this is not a criticism about past, current or future organisation but an opinion based on every award ceremony around the world or regular fair sport competition.

* (based on 934 users with 471 retrived datas)
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

:? I think what Rei and cutiebunny are getting at is that a contest that is for "fun" is not in need of "integrity", nor does it need to be run the same way as most contests.

I don't think anyone here is really concerned about the so-called "credibility" of the Anime-Beta awards in the eyes of anyone but the members of this forum. There are not usually complaints of cheating on the part of the organizers, either. If this had been an issue in the past, I could see your point. But it isn't, nor has it ever been. :shrug
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

Just so these other issues don't get buried I'll repeat my earlier post.

Now on to the other questions raised.

1. Re-vamp entry rules to discuss consequences when they're broken

I would personally leave this up to the event organizers to handle by a case by case issue. So far in the awards I have been a partisipant in there have only been 2 issues of different severity. 1 case involved a person creating "sock puppets" to be able to vote more than once and the other where a fan cel artist submitted a cel that they had sold prior to the contest. While ther first deserved for all entries and votes by that person to be removed the second should have only had the cel in question removed. I am not a fan of blanket punishment.

2. Where to put the rilezu and repros
This was decided by a vote.

3. What should be allowed in the settei category and should it be re-named
I had suggested that this category be renamed Pre Production Art so it can encompass test and model cels as well as other items. The question is should the difference between this award be between Paper and Plastic or Color and B&W.

4. Should everyone have to vote that entered.
I feel that if you enter you should be required to vote in all except the optional catagories. Thats a small price to enter.

5. Cel and Sketches. Together? Separate?
This was decided by vote that they would be separate.

6. Number of entries per category. What's the minimum
I think that there should be at least 3 to be have 1 award 4 to have 2 awards 5 or more to have 3 awards.
I do believe that those who enter in a catagory that has less than 3 entries should have the chance to make an additional entry in a different catagory.

7. Qualification (or lack thereof) of past winners and sequence mates
The rules had been that if you entered a cel you could not enter the same cel for 3 years if it had not won. If it was a winning cel it could not be entered again at all. Now with so many cels changing hands as well as a lot of sequence mates being owned but different collectors we should look at how best to handle things.
I would propose that a winning cel that changed hands be allowed to be entered by the new owner 3 years after the contest it won in.
A cel that had been entered but did not win should be able to be re-entered by it's new owner the next year.
Sequence mates of a winning cel should be allowed to be entered 2 years the 1st cel won an award. Those sequence mates that are of cels thqat had been entered but did not win should be able to be entered the next year.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

zerospace wrote::? I think what Rei and cutiebunny are getting at is that a contest that is for "fun" is not in need of "integrity", nor does it need to be run the same way as most contests.

I don't think anyone here is really concerned about the so-called "credibility" of the Anime-Beta awards in the eyes of anyone but the members of this forum. There are not usually complaints of cheating on the part of the organizers, either. If this had been an issue in the past, I could see your point. But it isn't, nor has it ever been. :shrug
Poll appropriated ?
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

iceman57 wrote: Coming back to "fun", well when you see BWA prices I don't really figure where really is the "fun" gone except in a grave.
Migraine meds, please X|

This contest has never been about how much someone can spend on any one item. This has always been a contest to see whose artwork can best represent the catagory.

BWA is BWA & January BWAs are January BWAs. I think it's wonderful that there are people that can spend 10K on an item. But the majority of us can't fathom spending that much money(let alone have a 10K lying around for artwork purposes).

No, I don't think that a poll is appropriate to determine if the contest should be run on who spends what on what cel. Some of us, myself included, don't always keep the most reliable records on that, let alone want to divulge how much was spent on any one item. I also do not feel that we should have a poll to determine if the contest should be about fun or not. That kinda defeats the "fun" purpose, right?

Iceman, if you don't like the way the current competition has been run and how it appears that it will continue to be run, you do not have to participate.
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

cutiebunny wrote:Iceman, if you don't like the way the current competition has been run and how it appears that it will continue to be run, you do not have to participate.
I'm not disliking at all, and will bounce on the word "competition" you use.
If this is pure fun will and not competition, there's no requirement for voters to be AB members, only for entries submitters.
Then the event would be more a "cel & sketch convention" or something like that, showing arts and offering the audience to vote for it beeing anime fans or collectors registered or not. Additionnaly if this is only a funny event there's no need to offer a graphic item to add to galleries, a simple text line in the description will fit.

I'm willing to just offering a vision of meliorating points. Integrity is an important aspect, they never had been problems, fine... but if one day it happens, better to have early splitted "staff" and "contesters".
Another aspect is to disable the capacity to vote to submitter's owned arts because this is possible and accepted by the system, then where is the fun to keep submitters voting except in other categories.

Coming back to my own, I played for fun, and luckily get some awards.
Goal was to simply to see if the vision of the collection choice I made was echoing in other people from several countries with a different private background.
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

OMG iceman, you are just so freakin annoying, its people like you that keep me away from ever participating in this FUN event, the key word here being FUN
you need to learn to chill, try and relax for once
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

From what I see, there's a 6 years continuity of this event.
Now several people asked to established some rules in order to make this event easier to handle and not have to rediscuss rules every year. I don't see any "freakin' annoying" aspect by simply providing some comments about increasing its integrity and recognition. This 6 years event now simply turn to be more stable and keep the root basics of a fair sport where people provide nice arts to the view of several people voting for them.
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

it is not a "sporting event", it is simply a friendly community awards for anime cel collectors to unite and share their wonderful collections.
obviously it does need some outline rules, as is being discussed, but we are not adding an amendment to the Constitution..
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

There's always a bit of challenge by submitting items to the votes. If I follow your opinion there's no need of rule statement but this thread had been created due to several people giving various opinions from a year to another and making the event more firmed with established guideline.
So why not argue with a real argumentary aspect instead of simply writing this is annoying, this in definitively not constructive and not friendly community way.