Should contestants be allowed to vote for their own art?

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.

Should contestants be allowed to vote for their own artwork?

Contestants SHOULD be allowed to vote for their own artwork
85%
Contestant should NOT be allowed to vote for their own artwork
15%

Total votes: 59

Goldknight
RULER

Should contestants be allowed to vote for their own art?

Post by Goldknight »

Yet another poll to make a point........ :roll
Last edited by Goldknight on Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

For original artwork that the contestant executed himself or herself? Or studio artwork (i.e., cels, relizu, etc.) that the participant owns?
Goldknight
RULER

Post by Goldknight »

Meaning the ANY artwork that they submitted into the awards. Whether production or fanart. If you entered 5 pieces then should you be allowed to vote for all five of your pieces in their own categories. :)
"Life can only be lived looking forward. It is understood when looking backwards" - Hadji From Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Gold Knight's Cel Gallery - Rubberslug

cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Geez...if we're going down this path, I want another poll to ban friends from voting for your artwork, another poll for banning anyone whose ever visited your gallery to vote for your artwork(I'll verify it with your internet provider, I swear!!), and then another poll to just ban the contests altogether. :P
sensei

Post by sensei »

Ownership of animation art should be banned to begin with. All things of beauty should be held in common. It is intrinsically immoral and indecent for anyone who has something desirable to keep it out of the possession of someone who desires it.

Cel competitions of this sort should therefore be like "Yankee swaps." You vote for it, you get to own it. The last person voting gets to keep it until the next contest.

If cel awards are given on a bi-weekly basis, then everyone who is patient and follows the rules will eventually get to own any cel they covet, for 15 minutes or so.

Seems fair to me...
Last edited by sensei on Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

This is more fair for the other submitters and gives a true vision of "what the others think from your collection" on a community basis sharing various artistic visions. Vote for your own arts is a possibility that exists in the actual voting system and is not in my opinion a community friendly method.
By voting for your own, this is like saying "what I do is the right choice" but every people has an own decision or collection way. So if your art that you voted for didn't get an award, you may admit that your collector choices compare to the collectors mainstream were possibly wrong.
THE ART OF ANIME Cultural Exhibition
HD video trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS51tjKlhB0
Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/theartofanime
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

iceman57 wrote:This is more fair for the other submitters and gives a true vision of "what the others think from your collection" on a community basis sharing various artistic visions.
Most collectors, as they buy their own artwork with their own money, don't care what others think about the items they own. People usually buy stuff because they like it. And while a few people buy artwork as an investment, most people do not buy it with the sole intent of reselling it.

In my opinion, the best tool to gage what others think about your collection is the "Open House" thing that Sensei ran about two years ago. Participating members visited other particpant's galleries, answered some questions and gave a general overview of their gallery and/or collection.

When there are no prizes involved(even if it is just a little graphic), people are more honest and upfront with what they think. When there are prizes, though, some people group up with their friends, make arrangements and vote for the stuff that their friends & they own. That's why, no matter how many awards that you win or don't win in these contests, you shouldn't take the results seriously.

And on a side note, Sensei, judging from your avatar, it appears that you're making your own gifs now, right? :)
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

cutiebunny wrote:When there are prizes, though, some people group up with their friends, make arrangements and vote for the stuff that their friends & they own. That's why, no matter how many awards that you win or don't win in these contests, you shouldn't take the results seriously.
LOL, well this kind of backstage arrangment already happened on the latest award, even beeing non prized and only little pics to add to galleries. See how many people contested and vanished the next week from the records... and will reappear on the radar for the next event.
Scheme is the same in auction, only one art and several bidders, so come on, don't tell me that animation collection is a fairy land. There's always a bit of ego included.
Personnaly I don't care about prizes, I entered 5 arts and letted them to the votes to see if people from a more native english culture like/dislike them. I thought my robot was ass kicking, it wasn't, the raging boxer one, wasn't too. That's cool, and really interesting from artistic point of view.
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

These are the things that happen in a community where people have friends, iceman. No rule is going to stop people from voting for their friends cels, no matter what you do.

:x

This entire poll is rather absurd, and I think some of the posts above are attempting to illustrate that. You continue to argue with pretty much everyone on this board on a regular basis. To many of the people you are arguing with, you are the "newbie" here, not the rest of us. How about you take a few steps back and just join in the fun, rather than trying to "fix" it by acting like you know better than all of us, because you don't, and that's what everyone is trying to tell you in these threads.

*steps off soapbox*
Killua
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Killua »

If the President of the United States of America can vote for himself, I say we can vote for our own submissions. :badass
yoshito

Post by yoshito »

Killua wrote:If the President of the United States of America can vote for himself, I say we can vote for our own submissions. :badass
Don't forget their spouse. I'm sure they vote too. :P
Click here if you agree with InuYasha.
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

Killua wrote:If the President of the United States of America can vote for himself, I say we can vote for our own submissions. :badass
Good one.

Regarding Zerospace note, fact is that I'm arranging contests for years with thousands of contesters. So simply willing to offer some tips that can easily be applied to make events more stable and professionnal (I even could have offer prizes or trophies by hiring sponsors...).

Anyway poll running, I'm fine with this question seeing 80% consider they can vote for their own.
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

I am just going to pop in here, add my two cents and leave.

The fact that this poll was even created.
The fact that you all are arguing your point with iceman.
The fact that you are letting this guy irritate the hell out of you.

I don't understand it. Walk away!! Ignore him!!

If you look in the dictionary, there is a picture of this guy right
next to the term 'Narcissist'.

You guys are playing right into his hands. :roll:
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

Gonzai wrote:The fact that you are letting this guy irritate the hell out of you. I don't understand it. ... Walk away!! Ignore him!! ... If you look in the dictionary, there is a picture of this guy rght next to the term 'Narcissist'.
Do I use any term in the two concerned threads that was irritating, or even offending ? I simply listed some points that are often listed in several event or a competition. People may say that is not appliable, I'm fine with it then simply tell about (president of the USA can vote for his own was a valid example).
Do walk away be an answer ? Clearly no, I simply opened a discussion about an aspect of the event to run, poll now running, I'm fine with it, votes will decide as they do for awards attribution.
graymouser

Post by graymouser »

I realize I may not have much say in this as I do not participate in the beta awards, but I have to ask what is with all the negativity.

Opinions were solicited, and a variety of responses were given. Of course, not everyone is going to agree and will see things from different perspectives. There is no reason to single someone out just because you disagree. I do not see anything wrong with Iceman stating how he feels about the topic, and I do not see any negativity or personal attacks in his posts. So why go after him? I certainly hope this is not going to become a board where only the "proper" opinions or only the "proper" style of speaking is welcome.

If members feel someone is posting too much or is overly negative let them take it up with the other member privately or discuss this objectively with a moderator. Otherwise, I really feel we need to let everyone feel comfortable about saying their piece without feeling like they are going to be jumped on if they go against the grain. This is supposed to be a community. Let's show some tolerance and open-mindedness.

I am sorry if this sounds like a lecture. I have no interest in playing referee between members, but I am really tired of seeing this type of thing pop up on the board.