2010 Cel Awards: Winners are up!!

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
Angelic-Lair
Kishin - Fierce God

2010 Cel Awards: Winners are up!!

Post by Angelic-Lair »

Hi everyone,

Since we have "officially" taken the coordinator's position for this year's cel awards, we will go ahead with categories and rules to consider for this year. :) Here are the categories and rules as we understand them based on what was decided in the 2 previous awards:

Update: here is the link to the website for the contest! :)

http://awards2010.angelic-lair.com/index.php

We give huge thanks to zerospace for letting us use her awesome awards software!

Timeline:

November 29 to December 5: Submit Entries

December 6 to December 12: Viewing Period

December 13 to December 19: Voting Period

Winners announced: December 30

Categories

(C) = Cel
(H) = Hanken Cel
(MC) = Model Cel
(P) = Painting on cardboard ex: background
(R) = Rilezu
(RC) = Reproduction Cel

Please note that categories marked with an * are optional to submit artwork to and to vote in. If you submit artwork to an optional category, you must vote in that category.

Accessory - Emphasis on what the character is holding, using, swinging, playing, aiming. (C, R)
Action - Scenes of action, movement, motion. (C, R)
Background - No characters allowed. (C, P)
Children - Youth, babies, kids. (C, R)
Creature - Animals, monsters, pets, catgirls, demons. (C, R)
Cute - Adorable, precious, toothache inducing. (C, R)
Death/Dying - Characters in the final throes of death, or those that have already passed away. (C, R)
Fan Art - Made by you or another artist. (C, P)
Female - The fairer sex. (C, R)
Funny - Laugh out loud moments. (C, R)
Group - Art of two or more characters. (C, R)
Hanken - Art used for merchandise or other non-production special circumstances. Hankens are not allowed in any other category except hentai. (H, P)
Harmony - Unique combinations of line work and watercolor used to convey deep emotion and profound artistry. (C, P) - CUT
Heroic - White knight saves the day. (C, R)
Insanity - Crazy, nuts, psychotic, loony (C, R) - CUT
Joy - Extreme happiness. (C, R)
Male - Boys, men, guys, bishonen. (C, R)
Outfit - Best dressed, emphasis on clothes and costumes. (C, R)
Rage - Mad, angry, extreme agitation. (C, R)
Repro - Made to be bought. Reproduction cels are not allowed in any other category except hentai. (RC)
Robot - Our mechanical friends. (C, R)
Romance - Kissing, hugging, cuddling, anything non-explicit. (C, R)
Shocked - Stunned, horrified, utter dismay. (C, R)
Sorrow - Tear-jerkers, sadness. (C, R)
Special Effect - Power bursts, transformation effects, etc. (C, R)
Tranquility - Characters who have found their inner peace. (C, R)
Vehicle - Cars, boats, planes, bicycles... Takes you where you want to go. (C, R) - CUT
Villainous - Archenemies, evil scientists, meanies, wicked bad guys. (C, R)

Animated* - Short sequences of animated cels. (C)
Hentai* - Sexually explicit & nude. All pairings welcome! (C, H, P, R, RC)
Settei* - Characters, items or scenery. Settei are not allowed in any other category. (MC)
Worst* - The ugliest, most poorly done cel you own. No random body-part submissions, please! Seriously hideous artwork only. (C)

As determined during the 2010 sketch awards, there will not be an industry art (or comic/shikishi) category for the 2010 cel awards.

Eligibility Rules

1.) You must be a registered member of Anime-Beta by the start of the submission process.

2.) You must physically own all artwork that you submit. You may not submit artwork which has been sold, or for which a sale is pending. Submitted artwork does not have to be posted in your online gallery.

3.) Submitted artwork may not include watermarks or any other type of 'tag' that could affiliate it with a gallery or owner.

4.) If you submit artwork for consideration in this contest, you must vote for all standard categories. The only exceptions are the optional categories (animated, hentai, settei, worst). These categories are both optional to vote in and optional to submit artwork to. However, if you submit artwork to an optional category, you must vote in that category.

5.) Even if you do not submit artwork, you may still vote in any or all of the categories.

6.) You may only vote once for each category. Participants creating false identities in order to vote multiple times will be disqualified and risk a ban from future contests.

Punishment for breaking the rules of this contest is at the coordinator's discretion.

Submission Rules:

1.) Participants are eligible to enter the contest in 5 standard categories and 4 optional categories, for a total of 9 pieces of artwork submitted.

2.) While a participant may choose to enter 9 pieces of artwork, you are not required to submit nine different items. You may choose to enter fewer items.

3.) In order to cut down on bandwidth usage, please limit your entries to the following dimensions:

Standard cel: 600 pixels wide, 300kb in size
Horizontal pan cel: 800 pixels wide, 300kb in size
Vertical pan cel: 800 pixels high, 300kb in size
Animated: same pixel restrictions as above, size limit is increased to 800kb.

4.) Artwork which was previously entered into the Anime-Beta Awards is eligible for re-entry, provided that the winning piece has changed owners. If you choose to submit a previous winning piece, you must e-mail the contest coordinator before submitting it. This way, the organizer knows the piece has changed owners and that it is a qualified entry. If you do not e-mail the coordinator, your entry will be disqualified. Please check previous awards websites carefully.

5.) Sequence mates of previous winners will be allowed if there is a substantial difference between the two. Please inform the contest coordinator which piece you are submitting a sequence mate of. You may not submit a sequence mate if you also own the previous winning piece.

6.) Sequence mates in the same category are not permitted. Similarly, identical repro cels in the repro category are not permitted. Whomever submits the artwork first will be given a spot in that category. If you submit a sequence mate to an item that is already in a category, you will have the chance to re-submit another item to any available category in lieu of the repeated piece.

7.) Categories with fewer than three entries will be eliminated. You will have the chance to re-submit artwork to another category.

8.) ANIMATED ART: Animated submissions may only include that which was part of the original studio animated sequence; no flashing lights, no disco music, nothing else.

9.) Modification and/or enhancement of images is not permitted. The only exception is for oversized images requiring multiple scans. You may piece these scans together to make a complete image.

Here are possible points of discussion:

a) What to do with the Repro/Rilezu category. This category was decided after a poll done during the 2009 cel awards.
EDIT: JWR redid polls on this matter at the beginning of 2010 and the community was in favor of rilezu being everywhere and repro having its own category. We can follow this unless there are further suggestions.

b) We are concerned that participation may be lower than last years. Should we consider:

1) increasing the amount of possible entries per participant
2) decreasing the number of categories
3) keeping entries and categories the same, which may result in the elimination of more categories if they are under 3 entries
4) other?

Any other suggestions are welcome. We will conduct polls as suggested in this thread. We are hoping to wrap up the categories and rules in the next week or so. Thanks!
Last edited by Angelic-Lair on Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:30 pm, edited 15 times in total.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I don't know if participation will be less than in previous years. Members whom you'd otherwise never hear a peep from come out for awards like clockwork.

I think, since we're rushed for time this year, unless there's any serious grievances, to keep the categories and rules as is. If, for some reason, there is limited participation this time around, we could always open it up for a 6th entry in the standard categories. But this is something that can only be addressed once entries start coming in and we see which categories are on the verge of elimination.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

I'd increase the number of submissions permissible by 1. :) The more, the merrier.
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

Does anyone know the counting of ceremony number, I mean is this the 6th, the 7th or the 8th cel award ceremony ? I'm a bit lost about.
THE ART OF ANIME Cultural Exhibition
HD video trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS51tjKlhB0
Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/theartofanime
Joost
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Joost »

all paper fals under Others?
Angelic-Lair
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Angelic-Lair »

iceman57 wrote:Does anyone know the counting of ceremony number, I mean is this the 6th, the 7th or the 8th cel award ceremony ? I'm a bit lost about.
According to our count, this should be the 8th Beta Cel Award ceremony. These award ceremonies below still have a website running:

3rd - 2005
4th - 2006
5th - 2007
6th - 2008
7th - 2009 (first separation into cel and sketches awards)
8th - 2010

We'll make sure to provide the links for the submission process.
Angelic-Lair
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Angelic-Lair »

Joost wrote:all paper fals under Others?
All paper media now goes in the annual Sketch Awards, except for painted cardboard media, such as a Background, Harmony etc.

The "Other" subtype is a leftover from previous years, when the delineation between paper and plastic was not yet completely clear. Unless someone has any objections, we will remove it to avoid further confusion. :)
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

I agree the "Other" type should be eliminated to avoid confusion. Also, I agree with leaving categories and rules as is and waiting to see what kind of turn out you have before adding another entry. If the count is low, it can be decided then if you want to eliminate a category or add another entry from everyone or only for those who want to enter in the category or categories in question.
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
darksuzaku
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by darksuzaku »

What about the "Embarrasing" category? It was cut out last year because of lack of entries, but it was there other years. Maybe this year there will be enough entries. ^_^
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

Angelic-Lair wrote:According to our count, this should be the 8th Beta Cel Award ceremony. These award ceremonies below still have a website running:

3rd - 2005
4th - 2006
5th - 2007
6th - 2008
7th - 2009 (first separation into cel and sketches awards)
8th - 2010

We'll make sure to provide the links for the submission process.
:D
Angelic-Lair
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Angelic-Lair »

Also, I agree with leaving categories and rules as is and waiting to see what kind of turn out you have before adding another entry. If the count is low, it can be decided then if you want to eliminate a category or add another entry from everyone or only for those who want to enter in the category or categories in question.
Adding an extra entry after the fact would be more work and very time-consuming, both for the participants who have to resubmit and for the coordinators who have to verify submissions (which may imply extra time if the submissions are not adequate). There is only enough time for one submission period, so we can either allow 6 entries per participant or leave it at 5 entries like previous awards.
What about the "Embarrasing" category? It was cut out last year because of lack of entries, but it was there other years. Maybe this year there will be enough entries. ^_^
Considering it was cut in the 2010 sketch awards, we are in favor of leaving it that way for the 2010 cel awards for consistency. It can always be added for the 2011 awards.

iceman57 - nice banner! :) We'll have to see if we can incorporate it.
We would like to encourage other Beta members to submit banners, as we are actively looking for a banner to anchor the site.

Our plan is to get the submission process rolling right after the Thanksgiving week-end, since many Beta members may be away or unable to submit their artwork during that period. We will post the official timeline by the end of this week.

Thanks!
darksuzaku
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by darksuzaku »

Angelic-Lair wrote:
Considering it was cut in the 2010 sketch awards, we are in favor of leaving it that way for the 2010 cel awards for consistency. It can always be added for the 2011 awards.
mmm, too bad. I completely missed the sketches award this year because there was no sticky post on the General Production Art forum (Not that i would have submitted entries, but i would have placed my votes). Didn't notice until much after the awards were over that the entire thing was moved to the last 2 new subforums.

I don't think it would be a bad idea to post a sticky on the general art forum to direct people here, at least this year. I wouldn't be surprised if a few people miss the awards this year for this reason.
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

Angelic-Lair wrote:iceman57 - nice banner! :) We'll have to see if we can incorporate it. We would like to encourage other Beta members to submit banners, as we are actively looking for a banner to anchor the site.
Ask design style, with height & width size in pixels and I'll provide all what you need...
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

darksuzaku wrote: I don't think it would be a bad idea to post a sticky on the general art forum to direct people here, at least this year. I wouldn't be surprised if a few people miss the awards this year for this reason.
We gave them their own category so they'd be easier to find. The sketch contest had 8 threads, 167 comments and more than 6500 individual page views. I think it's sufficient to leave them where they are. :wink:
darksuzaku
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by darksuzaku »

ReiTheJelly wrote:
darksuzaku wrote: I don't think it would be a bad idea to post a sticky on the general art forum to direct people here, at least this year. I wouldn't be surprised if a few people miss the awards this year for this reason.
We gave them their own category so they'd be easier to find. The sketch contest had 8 threads, 167 comments and more than 6500 individual page views. I think it's sufficient to leave them where they are. :wink:
yes, i noticed that, and it's a good idea. But i was not aware that this change had been done, and as i don't follow the sketches contest as much as the cel one i was just waiting for a thread to appear on the previous category to know that "it's that time of the year again".

A simple remainder only this year in the form of a sticky saying "Hey the beta cel awards from now on are over there" with a link to this category would help people like me that don't scroll all the way down to see all the categories. (I ussually only scroll down until arriving to the sale categories, so i didn't notice the addition of the new categories until the sketches contest of this year was way over)