2010 Cel Awards: Winners are up!!

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Why so many days until the viewing period?
Cordelia
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Cordelia »

Submitted. It's so hard to please everybody so thanks for volunteering your time and effort!
Angelic-Lair
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Angelic-Lair »

We have approved all the submissions we received so far. :) We would like to thank everyone for participating!

Here are the categories that currently have less than 3 entries:

death/dying
harmony
heroic
insanity
repro
robot
vehicle
animated

Submissions will be open until 8 EST tonight.

And to answer your question, ReiTheJelly, if categories are cut, as it seems they might be, it will take us at least 48 hours to get replacement entries from everybody.

Thanks everyone! :)
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Might it be beneficial to allow those who already have submitted entries to add a sixth one to one of the needy categories only? I could add a cel to one of these categories.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

sensei wrote:Might it be beneficial to allow those who already have submitted entries to add a sixth one to one of the needy categories only? I could add a cel to one of these categories.
The problem I see with this is that, if you allow some people to submit a sixth entry, then, all contestants should have a sixth entry. If you limit the sixth entry to those categories with less than 5 entries, then, you're increasing the competition in the 'needier' categories for those that submitted entries when there were just five entries. And, if you allow all entrants to submit a sixth item to any category, then, it's possible that impacted categories will still be impacted.

Plus, there's also the system issue. I don't know if the system will allow you to enter again under the same screen name. Maybe Zerospace can answer this.

I think the best thing to do is to just *wait* until the submission period is closed. Many people wait until the last minute to submit their items. Once the submission period is closed, the contest organizers can evaluate the situation and act accordingly.

In the meantime, if you have submitted artwork to one of the more impacted categories, it sounds like it would be a wise idea to have a back-up image ready.
Angelic-Lair
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Angelic-Lair »

cutiebunny wrote:Plus, there's also the system issue. I don't know if the system will allow you to enter again under the same screen name. Maybe Zerospace can answer this.
We have tested this before the start of the awards and it is indeed possible.

However, as we stated before the awards started, it would be a lot of effort on the part of both the participants and the organizers to add an extra entry after the fact. Therefore, we agree with cutiebunny to wait and see. We have already received many submissions in the last hour or so. :)

Thanks!
klet
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by klet »

Well, shucks. Apparently I missed the entry period by 5 minutes. That kinda sucks.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Angelic-Lair wrote: robot
vehicle
The past few years have seen very limited entries for these two categories. Perhaps, as something to consider for the future, they should be combined into a Mechanical category? Hmmm...
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

ReiTheJelly wrote:Perhaps, as something to consider for the future, they should be combined into a Mechanical category? Hmmm...
I seem to recall that Robot and Vehicle were, at one time, one category. I think it was split up because there were several members, at the time, who had items that could fit in both categories.

The hard part with the awards is that, for most of the categories, there is no way to tell which ones will be popular each year. While male & female are always perenneal favorites, categories such as backgrounds and children, have sometimes been difficult to fill.
Nat.R
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Nat.R »

Argh!!!!! I forgot to send my cels for this contest!!! /wah :bwall :shrug
I live in France so the time is not the same... T_T argh! it's the first time that I forget
bran-chan
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by bran-chan »

Lol, don't feel bad, I forgot myself.
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

ReiTheJelly wrote:The past few years have seen very limited entries for these two categories. Perhaps, as something to consider for the future, they should be combined into a Mechanical category? Hmmm...
cutiebunny wrote:I seem to recall that Robot and Vehicle were, at one time, one category. ... The hard part with the awards is that, for most of the categories, there is no way to tell which ones will be popular each year.
Your note sounds really good to solve this recurrent issue, etymologically "Mechanical" refers to movement, consquently I'd say that "Machine" may better fit.
About expectation of contests category filling, up to twice issues to fill a category during the last recorded years can be consider as recurring and marked for amelioration.
THE ART OF ANIME Cultural Exhibition
HD video trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS51tjKlhB0
Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/theartofanime
sensei

Post by sensei »

One problem is that there are robots (e.g., Palme in Nakamura's A Tree of Palme) who are definitely not vehicles but all-too-human protagonists in their own rights. So the category verges on one hand with "Creatures." And Haku-ryuu in Saiyuki represents another problem, a creature (cute dragonet) who becomes a vehicle (in this case a Jeep). The cabbits Ryo-Ohki and Fuku (the latter winner in "Creature" in this year's sketch contest) are similarly hybrid, part cat, part rabbit, part interplanetary vehicle.

Rayearth presents a special problem, as the mashins are independent creature-like beings that agree to turn into robotic mechas to serve as vehicles for the Magic Knights.

But as we've agreed before, knowledge of the anime should not be a prerequisite for judging the cel or sketch. It should stand on its own artistic quality. I'd take a common sense approach and say that an image that looks like a creature is OK for that category, one that looks like a humanoid machine is OK for "robot," and one that looks like it is being piloted by a human character (e..g. Big O or Deathscythe) is a "vehicle."

But if it seems as if this spreads submissions too thin, then perhaps one needs to be subsumed by another. (I'd be in favor of subsuming "vehicle" under "robot" but not vice versa.)
Angelic-Lair
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Angelic-Lair »

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update:

We approved all the submissions. We would like to thank the 46 participants for making this year's submission process a smooth one. :) Almost all of the submissions were sized properly and there was only one piece that was a previous winner.

Unfortunately, vehicle, insanity and harmony were cut because they only had one entry each. We already received replacement entries. Considering insanity has been cut for the second time in a row in the cel awards, we think it might be wise to cut it for future awards. ;)

Since we are done with submissions early, we will open the viewing later tonight. :D

Thanks!
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Angelic-Lair wrote:Since we are done with submissions early, we will open the viewing later tonight.
That's most excellent! :)