2011 Cel Award RULES & DETAILS - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!!

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
D123
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: 2011 Cel Award RULES & DETAILS - VOTES ENDING DEC 11

Post by D123 »

Voting is now officially over!

Everybody who voted should have received a response if you haven’t it may have not gone thru, please check your email and post here if you haven’t received any response!!
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

any news? results were supposed to be posted today.
D123
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by D123 »

Everybody I’m sorry but it seems we may have a delay in the awards.

I don’t know what’s going on, we’re having/had a disagreement about naming the places. iceman wanted to change it to skipping a place when there is a tie so when second is tied third place is cut and when first is tied second is skipped and branded third even though the artwork had the votes to be second but was demoted because first tied (which doesn’t make sense to me). Then Yupa and sensei wanted to give out the awards another way and I wanted to keep it the same. Now we’re down to naming 1st, 2nd and 3rd in each category along with ties?

And not

3 entries - only 1st place trophy
4 entries - only 1st and 2nd place trophy
5+ entries - 1st, 2nd and 3rd place trophy

As I am told it is done for all the awards…??? :wow: Really I’m confused and am glad this is the last days I’m doing this. We also talked about making a poll for future AB cel contests since no one can agree how to place the entries and give out the awards X| .

and btw way, no flaming! I don't want any drama and I’m sure iceman is pissed I posted this. :(
Angelic-Lair
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Angelic-Lair »

As the primary organizers of the previous two cel awards, may we strongly suggest that this year's organizers follow past precedence rather than make their own decision about how to do things.

We tried changing things during our first year of organizing only to find out that isn't how it's done. X| No one asked for it to be done differently, so please don't change it now.

A poll for future AB awards would be an excellent way to address the issue, however. :)
D123
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by D123 »

Angelic-Lair wrote:As the primary organizers of the previous two cel awards, may we strongly suggest that this year's organizers follow past precedence rather than make their own decision about how to do things.

We tried changing things during our first year of organizing only to find out that isn't how it's done. X| No one asked for it to be done differently, so please don't change it now.

A poll for future AB awards would be an excellent way to address the issue, however. :)
I know I've been trying to say this myself :sweatdrop
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

I think that has been the intent of the awards group. But on checking the 2010 Cel Awards results, I found that the precedent was to limit the number of awards in categories with fewer than five entries.

Five entries: first, second, and third places
Four entries: first and second only
Three entries: first only
Two entries: category eliminated

There had been some collegial and impartial dithering over this among the four of us, with the initial consensus to give first, second, and third trophies for all categories, even those in which only three cels were entered. But I believe Angelic Lair is quite right in this matter: we should follow immediate precedent and then open the topic to discussion to see which way Betarians want to go in the next contest.
D123
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by D123 »

So how are we doing it this way or all places for each category? Because I wasn’t aware this was originally done, I thought it was all places for all categories from looking at the winners from previous contests :? . All I want is to do it like it’s always been done in all the contests.

I didn’t know what to say or do I haven’t heard from anybody since this morning and everybody is most likely going to find out anyway. I also felt Anime-Beta deserved an explanation and so I decided to tell the truth not lie or avoid it, I hope I haven’t caused any trouble or drama in doing so :( .
sensei

Post by sensei »

BTW, while there has been some frank discussion among us on these issues, I'm happy to say that it has all been on-topic and focused on keeping the results fair and consistent with previous contests. We have learned a lot about how these contests work from the inside, and I think the awards, when we get them right (we are trying!) will accurately represent the votes of the Betarians who participated this year.

I'm only unhappy that "Worst" was not included as a category, as I had a cel that I'd earmarked for months as being a lock on that competition.
Last edited by sensei on Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sensei

Post by sensei »

D123 wrote:So how are we doing it? This way? or all places for each category?
I think the four of us need some time to fix it and make sure we are doing it in line with previous contests. But Yupa and iceman are likely fast asleep by now, and you and I are the only people nutty enough to be on Beta right now, along with all the people who are waiting to see if they won. I don't think we can do this on our own without including the other two organizers.

Meantime, for all the participants who are watching this thread, we can only say what any proper Japanese host would say at the end of a banquet, "Osomatsu-sama," or, "That was a royal screw-up, wasn't it?" Give us 24 hours and we'll get it right.

Now I am going to bed too, but I have no doubt that all will be made right in the morning.
D123
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by D123 »

sensei wrote:and you and I are the only people nutty enough to be on Beta right now
Haha, I second that!
sensei wrote:I don't think we can do this on our own without including the other two organizers.

and of course I agree
sensei wrote:Give us 24 hours and we'll get it right.
Yes, I think we can finish this up tomorrow/Saturday
sensei wrote:I'm only unhappy that "Worst" was not included as a category, as I had a cel that I'd earmarked for months as being a lock on that competition.
Me too!! I loved that category it needs to be a permanent one :D
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

In the 2010 Sketch Contest, we only gave out 1st place if the category had three entries. http://2010sketch.zero-space.net/winners.php
This way, the other two entrants don't know who came in "second" and can both assume that their artwork did well; it is a way of preventing some hard feelings. :)
Yupa
Kamisama - God

Post by Yupa »

Yes, those were exactly my thoughts on that matter as well. I think we all agreed now on doing it that way.

We apologize for the slight delay caused by this discussion. I think we can send the trophies to the winning contestants in the next 24 hours, after which we'll upload them to the gallery as well for everyone to see. :)
D123
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by D123 »

Hey Everybody,

I am going to start emailing the trophies out to the winners now and then Yupa will update the site :D

Thank you!
The 2011 Anime-Beta Awards Team
benten
Kamisama - God

Post by benten »

I see that the contest site is in the process of being updated with the winners.

So I wish to express my thanks to the people who ran the contest this time. And I wish to congratulate all of the winners.
star-phoenix
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by star-phoenix »

Congratulations to the winners! And thanks a lot to everyone who helped to organize the Beta Awards this year! :cheers