2013 Cel Contest: WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: 2013 Cel Contest: VOTING BEGINS MIDNIGHT MONDAY NIGHT

Post by sensei »

Just a note to remind Betarians, and especially those who have entered this year's cel contest, that voting will begin tonight at midnight (central time). That's 1 AM EST, 10 PM PST, and 0600 UTC/GMT (Monday morning) for other parts of the world. All registered members of Anime Beta are eligible to vote, and contestants MUST vote, so their entries can be eligible for a prize.

If you entered in any STANDARD category, you must vote in ALL standard categories. If you entered in any OPTIONAL category, then you must vote in that category. But you do not have to vote in an OPTIONAL category that you did NOT enter.

Example: You enter two cels, one in "Male" (STANDARD) and one in "Animated" (OPTIONAL) You then must vote in all STANDARD categories, and also in the OPTIONAL category "Animated." But you do not have to vote in any other OPTIONAL category (such as "Hentai").

If you have not checked to see that your entries uploaded correctly and in the right categories, please check now, as no changes will be made once voting starts.

Good luck to all participants!
Last edited by sensei on Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sensei

Re: 2013 Cel Contest: VOTING POSTPONED 24 HRS!

Post by sensei »

THE START OF VOTING HAS BEEN POSTPONED FOR 24 HOURS

Voting will begin at midnight Monday night (Central Time), or 1 AM Monday morning EST (10 PM PST, 0600 UTC/GMT, etc.)

The eligibility of an entry has been challenged, and as the situation is not directly addressed in the "Eligibility Rules" currently in effect, it will require a judgment call on the part of the organizers. As the situation came to attention shortly before kickoff of the Super Bowl, it was impossible to get opinions from a quorum of the current organizers, and these opinions received did not present a consensus of opinion.

If the entry is disqualified, the contestant will have the right to replace it with another entry, and it would be unfair to ask this person to do so before the announced start of voting (3 hours from now). For all these reasons, I have called a 24 hour delay in the start of voting, which will be made up by an extra day of voting, which will now begin at midnight (CST) on Monday night, February 4 and end one week later, at midnight (CST) on Monday night, February 11.

My apologies for this inconvenience; however, I feel it is better to be fair to all participants than to press ahead and risk being discourteous to the contestant or possibly casting doubt on the integrity of the contest.
sensei

Re: 2013 Cel Contest: VOTING BACK ON TRACK

Post by sensei »

The matter mentioned in the previous post has been discussed by the current contest staff and resolved, so voting is back on track to begin at midnight tonight (Central Time; 1 AM EST, etc. etc.).

Once the contest is concluded and winners announced, the staff has several issues to raise for Betarians in a new thread. This will propose some minor clarifications and modifications of contest rules/procedures that seem needful in the wake of this matter and others that have popped up. For the most part the contest has so far run smoothly, with no serious problem in the website or with the submission process. Our concern is simply to ensure that the contest process is fair to every participant and at the same time that it respects the general principles that have been decided in previous contest discussion threads.

So -- assuming Beyonce does not make an appearance 8O -- let the voting begin at midnight!
kamidake
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by kamidake »

I've been wondering, sensei, should the vote be for the cel that best represents the category, or one that I thought is the best looking?

Thanks for chairing the Contest by the way. :)
"If ifs and buts are clusters and nuts, we'd all have a bowl of granola." -- Stephen Colbert
http://ix.rubberslug.com/
sensei

Post by sensei »

My personal practice is to vote for the one that embodies the category and in an especially memorable way. But no one will second-guess how you vote. So I'd say let your conscience be your guide and may the celga-no-kami have mercy on you. Thanks for your good words, and thanks to my conscientious and energetic co-workers.
BuraddoRun
Kamisama - God

Post by BuraddoRun »

sensei wrote:let your conscience be your guide
"Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool." -Isaiah 1:18
sensei

Re: 2013 Cel Contest: VOTING IS NOW OPEN!

Post by sensei »

Image Image Image Image Image Image /ic Image /ic Image Image Image Image Image Image

THE CONTEST SITE IS NOW OPEN FOR VOTING!

Vote hard, vote fair, no lines faded.
klet
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by klet »

So, since voting opened a day late, does that mean that it will close a day late?
sensei

Post by sensei »

klet wrote:So, since voting opened a day late, does that mean that it will close a day late?
Yes, as I said when I called the delay, "voting...will now begin at midnight (CST) on Monday night, February 4 and end one week later, at midnight (CST) on Monday night, February 11."

Don't forget: if you have a dog in the race, you have to vote in the standard categories, and in any optional category in which you are entered. And all registered members of Anime-Beta are welcome to view and vote for their favorites, even if you are not a contestant this year.

Here is a convenient link to The 2013 Anime-Beta Cel Contest
sensei

Re: 2013 Cel Contest: VOTING ENDS MONDAY NIGHT!

Post by sensei »

A quick reminder that, due to the delay last week, voting will continue through tonight and into Monday, ending at midnight (Central Time) Monday night. That's 10 PM Pacific time, 1 AM Eastern time, and 0600 UTC/GMT Tuesday morning for all other locations.

In order for their entries to be eligible for prizes, contestants must vote, in all standard categories and in any optional category in which they entered a cel. They need not vote in the other optional categories in which they are not competing.

Even if you are not a contestant, all other registered members of Anime-Beta, including newbies, are welcome to view and vote in the contest. If you do vote, you still need to enter a vote for all standard categories, but may choose to vote in any, all, or none of the optional categories.

Let your voice be heard! And may the best cels win! (Except in the "Worst" category.)
sensei

Re: 2013 Cel Contest: LAST CHANCE TO VOTE!

Post by sensei »

A reminder that all registered members of this forum are eligible to view this year's entries and vote for their favorites. Voting will close tonight at midnight CST.

That's equal to:

06:00 UTC/GMT Tuesday morning
01:00 AM Tuesday morning EASTERN STANDARD TIME
10:00 PM Monday night PACIFIC STANDARD TIME
06:00 AM Tuesday morning LONDON, UK LOCAL TIME
07:00 AM Tuesday morning PARIS, FRANCE LOCAL TIME
07:00 AM Tuesday morning BRUSSELS, BELGIUM LOCAL TIME
03:00 PM Tuesday afternoon TOKYO JAPAN LOCAL TIME
05:00 PM Tuesday afternoon MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA LOCAL TIME

After a hopefully brief tussle with hanging chads, the admins will get to work engraving trophies and announce winners as soon as possible this week.
sensei

Re: 2013 Cel Contest: VOTING CLOSED!

Post by sensei »

The votes in and the members of Anime-Beta have spoken. After the totals have been checked and the last issues resolved by the organizers, we are headed to the final step before the announcement of winners.

Thanks to all who participated, either as contestants or as voters or as both!
sensei

Re: 2013 Cel Contest: WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

Post by sensei »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage :vict ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

WINNERS IN THE 2013 CEL CONTEST ARE NOW OFFICIAL!!!

You can check them out (and contestants can download their trophies) on the contest website. Just click the link under "Winners by category."

My thanks, first, to all the contestants and voters who made this contest successful. Then to the plucky bunch of volunteers who helped tend the website, process entries, and help me handle difficult issues. And finally to zerospace, who graciously allowed us to use the code she devised and hosted it on her website. Were it not for zero's clear and patient guidance through the technical matters involved, the contest would have been much more prone to problems.

To all the winners, congratulations! To all the rest -- well, thanks to cooperation among all involved, we can shout with confidence WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR!
bulleta
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by bulleta »

First - thanks for the votes whether my cels placed or not. I truly appreciate it. :)

Second - I screwed up on one set of awards, but they are fixed now. So if you downloaded your awards for "In A Sticky Situation" before now, you may have noticed I can't spell situation. :P They're correct on the website now. I'm recovering from some sort of horrible plague, so I blame that. If you see anything else, please PM me.

Third - The site removes spaces, etc. from names when you enter. I tried to remember or look up how you all spell your names here, but I probably missed some since I don't know about 90% of you... So if your trophy doesn't have your name the way you want it spelled, drop me a PM with your email address and I'll send new ones to you.

oki doki loki. Thank you again to all the competitors, voters and award committee. :)

Side note - I dubbed the awards I made "Anime Betty." It amuses me.
Frosty
Anime Geek

Post by Frosty »

WOWH, I did not think to get so many trophies! :bounce
Thank's to the organizers and thanks to all who voted for my cels, I am glad you liked them :)
I know I am a rare visitor here but I try to be here as often as my time allows, maybe just reading :D
The contest is a good possibility to view many good cels and artwork at one place.
It's Better to Burn Out than to Fade Away!