Proposed Rule Change: Awards in categories with few entries

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Proposed Rule Change: Awards in categories with few entries

Post by sensei »

A common problem is what to do with categories that are less popular than others. A standard procedure is to scratch categories with fewer than three entries, and to allow those with three or four entries to run, but with fewer awards. However, it's also been common practice not to present awards if doing so will leave one entry without an award, and thus identified as "worst in category." This presents a potential conflict.

For example, if a category draws three entries, and two of them tie for first, if both are given #1 prizes, then the third cel is "worst in category."

This year the organizers did have to deal with a situation in which, due to a combination of light entries and tie votes, following the rules as written would have identified a "worst in category" entry. So we propose the following revision to make it clear that organizers should always avoid doing so when giving out awards.

Also, due to the inexperience of the 2013 contest's coordinator, one rule was misstated. This is corrected below. (New language underlined.)

7.) If a category has only four entries, only #1 and #2 awards will normally be given. If a category has only three entries, only a #1 award will normally be given. If, due to tie votes, a single entry risks being left without an award, the coordinator may give fewer prizes in that category, or even none at all. Categories with fewer than three entries at the end of the entry period will be eliminated. Contestants will have the chance to re-submit artwork to another category at the beginning of the viewing period.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Re: Proposed Rule Change: Awards in categories with few entr

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Perhaps we should raise the minimum number of entries required for a category to be viable? There are certain categories which year after year seem to have very few entries. It seems that when the deadline for entries comes around, we're always having to beg for more entries into a few categories. Perhaps these categories should just be axed?
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I'm all for giving the most awards possible since it seems that that's one of the driving factors for participation in the awards. If a category has fewer entries, then everyone gets something. It may sound unfair to those whose entries are all in categories with more than 3 submissions, but, that's just the luck of the draw. Sometimes you enter a category that has a bunch of competition, and other times, you win more or less by default. It's hard to sometimes scramble at the last minute to find something to replace a voided entry, and as sometimes real life intervenes, the 24 hour re-submission window is difficult for some.

I also think that the issue with skipping certain places in the event of a tie should be readdressed. Why does it matter if there are 2 winners for first place, a winner for second, and another winner for third? Why can't we hand out awards to all four people instead of just 3? Other than the fact that it will require a bit more work for the person in charge of the graphic, I don't really see why we just eliminate certain awards because there's a tie? I don't think the awards actually hold more weight than the feel-good attachment to them. Though maybe there are people that buy artwork solely because it won a prior AB award? /hmm
sensei

Post by sensei »

In the interest of making the next contest as much fun as the previous ones and still give room for needed tweaks, I'm going to let all of these "proposed rule change" threads run for a while before making any conclusions. Having some practice in rule-writing/rewriting I generally believe that the fewer rules the better, and in dealing with existing rules, make only the changes that absolutely need to be made. (Or, "Don't fix what ain't broke.") The last two cel contests were largely unproblematic, and the previous contest fuss was actually the result of something other than bending the rules.

But if they point to genuine issues that need a fuller consideration than what I've offered, then we can work toward a bigger revision.

@ rei -- this seems to vary year to year. "Insanity" was eliminated in 2010 for lack of entries, yet drew a full and interesting slate in 2013. I was concerned 48 hours before the close of entries that we would have to cut several ones this time, but I think some canny Betarians wait until these lists go up, feeling that the lack of competition gives their cels an edge. So last-day entries pushed all the categories up over the top. Nothing wrong with that strategy, IMHO.
GuyvarIII
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by GuyvarIII »

I don’t think you need to worry about identifying what cel got the least votes. Because, in the 2011 cel awards, by not receiving an award, my Tetsujin 28 was identified as a “worst in category” cel (http://celaward2011.rubberslug.com/gall ... esID=43988). I still think the cel is awesome, and I participated in the 2013 cel awards. Has anyone felt bad about their collection, or not participated, because they didn’t get an award?

Competition within categories is more dependent on the factors of: who is voting, and the entries they’re comparing; rather than the number of items in each section. Unless it has one or zero submissions, why should a category be limited by, or cut for, lack of entries?
BuraddoRun
Kamisama - God

Post by BuraddoRun »

I like this rule change, so that we avoid the "worst in category that isn't the Worst category" non-award isn't ever given out. This is a fun event, and while it is a competition, and naturally that means there are "losers," we don't want anyone to feel like their cel is not a worthy contestant in the category they entered it in. I also like the current practice regarding tie trophies. 3 winners are [normally] chosen for each category. 4th place shouldn't become 3rd simply because the top 2 cels both got the same number of votes.
"Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool." -Isaiah 1:18