2013 Anime-beta Awards are up

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

2013 Anime-beta Awards are up

Post by JWR »

Welcome to 2013 Anime-Beta Sketch/Genga Awards.

Awards now up for viewing

Link to the gallery http://absa2013.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp

CATEGORIES:

(S) = sketch
(H) = Hanken
(MS) = Model Sketch
(P) = Painting (must be on paper)
(A) = Autograph
(Ill) = Illustration
(St) = Storyboard
(Sh) = Shikishi
(Hy) = Hybrid

* indicates optional categories

Accessory - Any inanimate object that does not fit into any of the other categories such as items that character is holding, using, swinging, playing, aiming or items that appear alone. (S)
Action - Scenes of action, movement, motion. (S)
Background - No characters allowed. (S)
Children - Youth, babies, kids. (S)
Comic/Manga Art - Original art from comic artists and manga-kas
Creature - Animals, monsters, pets, catgirls, demons. (S)
Cute - Adorable, precious, toothache inducing. (S)
Embarrassed - Embarrassed - Blushing, mortified, awkwardness, total humiliation.
Injured/Death - Characters on the verge of death, or those that really are dying or dead. (S)
Fan Art - Made by you or another artist. (S, P)
Female - The fairer sex. (S)
Funny - Laugh out loud moments. (S)
Group - Art of two or more characters. (S)
Hanken - Art used for merchandise or other non-production special circumstances. Hankens are not allowed in any other category except hentai. (H)
Heroic - White knight saves the day. (S)
Hybrid - Artwork that incorporates original artwork with xeroxed work. More than 50% of the drawing must be original art. Hybrid artwork is not allowed in any other category. (Hy)
Insanity - crazy, nuts, psychotic, loony (S)
Joy - Extreme happiness. (S)
Love- Kissing, hugging, cuddling, any display of affection, innocent or physical-just not explicit.
Male - Boys, men, guys, bishonen. (S)
OP/ED/Eye catch - Sketches used only in these special animated sequences. These are not allowed in any other category.
Outfit - Best dressed, emphasis on clothes and costumes. (S)
Rage - Mad, angry, extreme agitation. (S)
Robot - Our mechanical friends. (S)
Shikishii/Signatures - Original signatures and/or artwork drawn by industry artists. Only the artist's signature and accompanying sketch are allowed for submission, all other images must be cropped out.
Shocked - Stunned, horrified, utter dismay. (S)
Sorrow - Tear-jerkers, sadness. (S)
Special Effect - Power bursts, transformation effects, etc. (S)
Tranquility - Characters who have found their inner peace or a welcome opportunity to unwind.(S)
Vehicle - Cars, boats, planes, bicycles, et cetera. (S)
Villainous - Archenemies, evil scientists, meanies, wicked bad guys. (S)

Animated* - Short sequences of animated artwork. (S)
Hentai* - Sexually explicit & nude. All pairings welcome! (S, H)
In a sticky situation* - Character or characters between a rock and a hard place.
Settei* - Characters, items or scenery. Settei are not allowed in any other category. (MS)
Storyboard* – the initial draft of how the sequence should run. (St)
Worst* - The ugliest, most poorly drawn sketch you own. No random body-part submissions, please! Seriously hideous artwork only. (S)

Eligibility Rules
1.) You must be a registered member of Anime-Beta by the start of the submission process.

2.) You must physically own all artwork that you submit. You may not submit artwork which has been sold, or for which a sale is pending. Submitted artwork does not have to be posted in your online gallery.

3.) Submitted artwork may not include watermarks or any other type of 'tag' that could affiliate it with a gallery or owner.

4.) If you submit artwork for consideration in this contest, you must vote for all standard categories. The only exceptions are the optional categories (animated, hentai, settei, storyboard). These categories are both optional to vote in and optional to submit artwork to. However, if you submit artwork to an optional category, you must vote in that category.

5.) Even if you do not submit artwork, you may still vote in any or all of the categories.

6.) You may only vote once for each category. Participants creating false identities in order to vote multiple times will be disqualified and risk a ban from future contests.

Punishment for breaking the rules of this contest is at the coordinator's discretion.

Submission Rules:

1.) Participants are eligible to enter the contest in 6 standard categories and 6 optional categories, for a total of 12 pieces of artwork submitted.

2.) While a participant may choose to enter 12 pieces of artwork, you are not required to submit nine different items. You choose to enter fewer items.

3.) In order to cut down on bandwidth usage, please limit your entries to the following dimensions:

Standard sketch: 600 pixels wide, 300kb in size
Horizontal pan sketch: 800 pixels wide, 300kb in size
Vertical pan sketch: 800 pixels high, 300kb in size

Animated: 600 pixels wide max

4.) Artwork which was previously entered into the Anime-Beta Sketch Awards is eligible for re-entry, provided that the winning piece has changed owners. If you choose to submit a previous winning piece, you must e-mail the contest coordinator before submitting it. This way, the organizer knows the piece has changed owners and that it is a qualified entry. If you do not e-mail the coordinator, your entry will be disqualified. Please check previous awards websites carefully.

5.) Sequence mates of previous winners will be allowed three years after the previous cel received an award. They may also be eligible sooner if there is a substantial difference between the two. Please inform the contest coordinator which piece you are submitting a sequence mate of. You may not submit a sequence mate if you also own the previous winning piece.

6.) Sequence mates in the same category are not permitted. Whomever submits the artwork first will be given a spot in that category. If you submit a sequence mate to an item that is already in a category, you will have the chance to re-submit another item to any available category in lieu of the repeated piece.

7.) Categories with fewer than three entries will be eliminated. You will have the chance to re-submit artwork to another category. There will be up to 3 awards per category depending on the number of entries. If two items tie for the top vote then both will receive first prize. The next piece will receive a third prize (no second will be awarded).
There must be 3 entries to qualify for 1 award. 4 for 2 awards and 5 or more for all three.

8.) INDUSTRY ART: If an industry artist signed something that is not a standard shikishi board/blank piece of paper, only the signature and any original accompanying artwork are allowed to be submitted. In other words, if an industry artist signed their name and drew a smiley face on a poster, you may only submit the portion of the poster that contains the signature and the smiley face.

9.) ANIMATED ART: Animated submissions may only include that which was part of the original studio animated sequence; no flashing lights, no disco music, nothing else.

10.) Modification and/or enhancement of images is not permitted. The only exception is for oversized images requiring multiple scans. You may piece these scans together to make a complete image. Sketches may also be darkened to enhance the lines, but please be aware that if you make them too dark, the contest organizers may mistake your production art as being photocopied and disqualify it. The images submitted should be similar in appearance to if you were physically viewing the artwork in person.
Last edited by JWR on Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:50 pm, edited 20 times in total.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
HigurashiArchives
Otaku - Fanatic

Re: 2013 Anime-beta Sketch/Genga Awards (official)

Post by HigurashiArchives »

Awesome!! Can't wait!
Just a question, since we're emailing submissions, does it really matter whether we wait until September first?
JWR

Post by JWR »

HigurashiArchives wrote:Awesome!! Can't wait!
Just a question, since we're emailing submissions, does it really matter whether we wait until September first?
I set the time to the 1st to give everyone a chance to determine what they would like to enter and to rescan if nessessary to fit the requirements (size 600 max for normal 800 max for pan as well as the 300kb max file size limit).
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
JWR

Post by JWR »

Just a reminder submissions open at 9am eastern 6am pacific tomorrow.
Last edited by JWR on Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
klet
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by klet »

Is it okay to enter sketches that have been merged together? Like, for example, a mouth is on one sheet and the remainder of the image is on the other. If you combine them into one image, is it alright to enter that image to the awards?
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

klet wrote:Is it okay to enter sketches that have been merged together? Like, for example, a mouth is on one sheet and the remainder of the image is on the other. If you combine them into one image, is it alright to enter that image to the awards?
As I understand the current publication of the rules, no.
The only exception [to modifying sketches] is for oversized images requiring multiple scans. You may piece these scans together to make a complete image.
As I understand, this exception assumes that the image on the pan image is complete. But layers involving different characters or mouth/eye layers cannot be combined.

Joe?
JWR

Post by JWR »

From what I recall from previous contests a "merged sketch" meaning lets say you have a main sketch of the person and it shows their face except the mouth due to the person talking has not been ever brought up before.

At this late date I would say that so long as one is "merging" into the scan an actual part of sketch sequence it will be acceptable for in truth unless someone else owned that sequence before how would one really know it was 2 scans merged. Honestly if someone did not tell me they merged a sketch I would not have a clue how one could tell it had been done.

I have an example of what Klet is talking about not entered in this contest but is on display in my gallery. I bought this from Goldknight a while ago and she was nice enough to provide me with her combined scan.

http://ryan.rubberslug.com/gallery/inv_ ... mID=316686

After the contest this will be something to be discussed and if needed voted upon for next time.
Yupa
Kamisama - God

Re: 2013 Anime-beta Sketch submissions open

Post by Yupa »

Could someone tell me how to make an animated GIF that is under 800KB, while still at 600p wide? Looking back at the 2011 contest I know it's possible.
My animation is 4.68 MB... I only get it under 800KB if I resize it to 350p (quite small) with the lowest quality.
JWR

Post by JWR »

Yupa wrote:Could someone tell me how to make an animated GIF that is under 800KB, while still at 600p wide? Looking back at the 2011 contest I know it's possible.
My animation is 4.68 MB... I only get it under 800KB if I resize it to 350p (quite small) with the lowest quality.
We have found that RS is having a problem supporting GIF files so as a workaround we are uploading the animated gifs to a photobucket account and then linking those to the RS animated section. By doing this we no longer have to limit the KB size but do need to keep the images to 600pixels at their widest part.
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

JWR wrote:
Yupa wrote:Could someone tell me how to make an animated GIF that is under 800KB, while still at 600p wide? Looking back at the 2011 contest I know it's possible.
We have found that RS is having a problem supporting GIF files so as a workaround we are uploading the animated gifs to a photobucket account and then linking those to the RS animated section. By doing this we no longer have to limit the KB size but do need to keep the images to 600pixels at their widest part.
Due to this workaround if you are entering the optional animated category, please submit a single image in the animation in addition to your animation so we can use it for the thumbnail. It should be 125p wide and named animated thumbnail - your AB "handle".
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
benten
Kamisama - God

Post by benten »

gif files can be uploaded on Rubberslug by changing the .gif extension of the file to .jpg. The file will then upload and function as a gif on the site.
Rekka Alexiel
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

Is there a link to previous years so that we can check to see what was submitted in the past? I apologize if I missed it. :P
sensei

Links to previous sketch contests

Post by sensei »

These contests either had a "Best Genga" category or allowed sketches to compete with cels:

3rd Annual Anime Beta Awards 2005 ("Best Genga" category)

Beta Awards 2006 (cels and sketches together)

5th Annual Beta Awards 2007 (cels and sketches together)

Beta Awards 2008 (cels and sketches together)

At this point the cel and sketch contests were separated

Anime Beta Sketch Awards 2009

Anime-Beta Sketch Awards 2010

Anime Beta Sketch Award - Summer 2011 edition
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

benten wrote:
gif files can be uploaded on Rubberslug by changing the .gif extension of the file to .jpg. The file will then upload and function as a gif on the site.
Thanks benten. This approach appears to work. You just have to click on the image to start the animation. By using this solution we are back to having a maximum file limit for the optional animated category. RS states a file max of 1MB.
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
JWR

Post by JWR »

So far we have 9 categories that have received 3 or more entries.

Action
Children
Heroic
In a sticky situation
Insanity
Sorrow
Tranquility
Villainous
Worst