2013 Anime-beta Awards are up

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Re: 2013 Anime-beta Sketch submissions closed

Post by JWR »

There was a few categories that did not receive enough entires to qualify.

I will contact those affected to see if they would like to submit in a different category.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Yupa
Kamisama - God

Post by Yupa »

Sorry I was late resubmitting, I just woke up (it's 7:30 am here). I didn't expect there would be a problem with a zip file.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Yupa wrote:Sorry I was late resubmitting, I just woke up (it's 7:30 am here). I didn't expect there would be a problem with a zip file.
I got it unzipped, so your entries should be processed now. Zip files are tricky as there is not one common system, and so the file management program that comes with one computer may not always recognize the system the sender used. My wife, a technical editor, has two "unzip" programs, one that came with MS Office and another she downloaded from a freeware site, and between the two she can unpack just about anything publishers send her.

But all is well now. Thanks for participating.
klet
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by klet »

I don't know how many entries Robot and Vehicle ended up with, but if it's not enough, perhaps they could be combined into something called Machines?

I personally don't have any entries in either category, but that way, at least you could save those entries. :)
Yupa
Kamisama - God

Re: 2013 Anime-beta Sketch open for viewing

Post by Yupa »

As always it's a great selection! Voting will be difficult. :)

You should've made the order of the entries random though. Currently the order is alphabetically by participant name. I can tell, because my entries (Yupa) are always the last ones. :P
JWR

Post by JWR »

Yupa wrote:As always it's a great selection! Voting will be difficult. :)

You should've made the order of the entries random though. Currently the order is alphabetically by participant name. I can tell, because my entries (Yupa) are always the last ones. :P
Actually I did random them by putting the number of entries in a cup and shaking it then reordering them which took a while last night before opening the gallery. :hitting:

PM me which sections and I can redo them again before voting if you would like.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Yupa
Kamisama - God

Post by Yupa »

Okay, then it's just a coincidence. You don't need to change them, I don't really mind. Just wanted to make sure the uploading was done in a fair way.
JWR

Post by JWR »

Yupa wrote:Okay, then it's just a coincidence. You don't need to change them, I don't really mind. Just wanted to make sure the uploading was done in a fair way.
Just so it is clear, as entries were recieved they were uploaded and assigned a number 1 - 2 -3 ect so the gallery would have displayed them as the latest entry 1st (5 then 4 ect)if I had not randomized them. We kept all enties "hidden from the public" due to if anyone stumbled upon or guessed the link to the gallery the enties would have shown even though the main gallery was closed.

Once submissions were closed and we sorted out those with entries less than 3 and contacted those people and haved them resubmit a replacement, I randomized each (though it seems maybe not as well as I hoped) by number then changed their status to visable to the public. Once done last night I opened the gallery for the viewing period.
sensei

Post by sensei »

When I wrote test banks to go with textbooks, I was warned to randomize the answers, so that a student couldn't "break" the test by seeing that the correct answers went 1: a, 2: b, 3: c, 4: d, 5: a, etc. Or some other "breakable" system where if one answer were "a," then neither the previous or the next question was likely to be "a" too.

I happened on this random number generator site that is simple to use and ensures statistical anonymity. The "picking numbers out of a cup" is a valid alternative, but might have some purely physical factors that work against total randomness (last number in tends to be first number out, etc.)

Just a suggestion.
Rekka Alexiel
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

I think some of the shikishi need to be cropped or edit the names out. It's clear who it was made for, assuming it hasn't changed owners. I think only the illustrator's name should be shown in that category, right?
JWR

Post by JWR »

Rekka Alexiel wrote:I think some of the shikishi need to be cropped or edit the names out. It's clear who it was made for, assuming it hasn't changed owners. I think only the illustrator's name should be shown in that category, right?
Maybe it is due to my inability to read Japanese but I could not tell who owns what by just viewing the images.
Rekka Alexiel

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

JWR wrote:
Rekka Alexiel wrote:I think some of the shikishi need to be cropped or edit the names out. It's clear who it was made for, assuming it hasn't changed owners. I think only the illustrator's name should be shown in that category, right?
Maybe it is due to my inability to read Japanese but I could not tell who owns what by just viewing the images.
^^;;;

Well, not to be overly picky, but it does state in the submission rules that only the artists signature and following sketch are allowed. Everything else, whether it be the short message or the person's name it was made for, ought to be edited or cropped out. Whether or not you can read Japanese is not really the point, although it *is* very awkward seeing it there and having to vote on items that way.
JWR

Post by JWR »

Rekka Alexiel wrote:
JWR wrote:
^^;;;

Well, not to be overly picky, but it does state in the submission rules that only the artists signature and following sketch are allowed. Everything else, whether it be the short message or the person's name it was made for, ought to be edited or cropped out. Whether or not you can read Japanese is not really the point, although it *is* very awkward seeing it there and having to vote on items that way.
I would say the key is if it is easily identifiable who the owner is for the majority of Beta members. That why the rules were set up to not allow those with "watermarks". If the short messages or persons name in Japanese are distracting or to use your term "Awkward" then it will be up to each person voting to decide if it bothers them to the point they may vote for another piece.
DrScorpio

Post by DrScorpio »

Rekka Alexiel wrote:
JWR wrote:
^^;;;

The exact wording was:

Shikishii/Signatures - Original signatures and/or artwork drawn by industry artists. Only the artist's signature and accompanying sketch are allowed for submission, all other images must be cropped out.

What I got from that was if the sketch/autograph was on a cel, poster or artbook (which is quite common), the extra stuff needed to be cropped out. If it was on a beautiful cel, it could make the sketch seem better then it is.
JWR

Post by JWR »

DrScorpio wrote:
The exact wording was:

Shikishii/Signatures - Original signatures and/or artwork drawn by industry artists. Only the artist's signature and accompanying sketch are allowed for submission, all other images must be cropped out.

What I got from that was if the sketch/autograph was on a cel, poster or artbook (which is quite common), the extra stuff needed to be cropped out. If it was on a beautiful cel, it could make the sketch seem better then it is.
The original intent of the rules on this section was to A: To not show identifying "personalizations" such as "To my good friend John Smith" and B: Not allow "preprinted" artwork that have only been signed be entered and judged as original art. It is these parts that would need to be cropped.
What is written on some entries because it is in Japanese will not identify the owner to the majority of those voting. If the writing detracts from the artwork enough then I would expect that it might effect the amount of votes it receives. I will leave that choice up to the members.