2013 Anime-beta Awards are up

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
Rekka Alexiel
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin

Re: 2013 Anime-beta Sketch Voting begins 9/14

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

I don't really care what is decided about it, but to me the wording of the rules is clear: Anything other than the sketch/drawing and the artist's signature should not be there, no matter what language it is, no matter who can or cannot read it. It's even worse when you CAN read the writing and have it point fingers to possible ownership, but that's not the point, again. If we're going to be picky about other rules, this one ought to be treated the same. I think we'd be selling everyone short if you simply leave this up to the voter's digression.

Anyway, I'll shut up on this now. It's not up to me to make decisions; I just wanted to voice my confusion/concern. Cheers! :D
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Agree that the rules need clarifying (as did the cel contest rules, as the organizers quickly learned midway). But let's handle this in the aftermath of the contest. As shikishii are becoming in themselves a collectible art form, it's possible that we are seeing unique issues in this category that don't apply to the other categories that deal with production art.

It's also possible that, in time, we may need a separate autograph/shikishii contest (any takers for an organizer?)

Reminds me of the old days when "Best Genga" was a category in the cel contest. No genga was awarded a prize: First went to a douga and the Second to a layout.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

My understanding of the rule was to make it so that a sketch not drawn on a solid color piece of paper/shikishi would be cropped off and submitted as such. This is to prevent things like pre-printed shikishi/sketches and posters from being submitted as original artwork in this category. Basically, everything that is submitted has to be original, and in this case, that too would include the name and/or 'thank you' notes written. We did mention before, during a previous award cycle, that the name could be edited out to protect the owner, but that was not addressed this time around.

A large portion of original shikishi do have writing on it. Just looking at the ones that I have online, in addition to those where I have electronically omitted my name, many of the sketches I own state the event, series or magazine promotion they were drawn for. This can be problematic to edit because the name of the event is often incorporated into the picture. For example, I own sketches where the name of the manga is written directly on top of the character. Should I edit this out, even though it was done by the artist, simply because the lettering is not an actual character or the artist's name?

So Sensei, we're going to have a shikishi awards now..? I am so ready for this :D
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

here is actual wording from this years contest

Shikishii/Signatures - Original signatures and/or artwork drawn by industry artists. Only the artist's signature and accompanying sketch are allowed for submission, all other images must be cropped out.

8.) INDUSTRY ART: If an industry artist signed something that is not a standard shikishi board/blank piece of paper, only the signature and any original accompanying artwork are allowed to be submitted. In other words, if an industry artist signed their name and drew a smiley face on a poster, you may only submit the portion of the poster that contains the signature and the smiley face.

After the contest there will be a thread to discuss questions for future contests and I will be sure to put this up for discussion and vote if needed.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison