Annual Cel Contest 2014 - Best in Show Winners Announced!!!

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Re: Annual Cel Contest 2014 - Conversation Starter!

Post by zerospace »

Jadeduo wrote:the eyes of the character, must take up at least 40% of the cel space to be eligible.
While I think the category concept is refreshingly different, I foresee a little bit of a logistical issue in determining what constitutes 40% of the space on the cel. This is likely to be a point of contention among those participating, especially if some entries are rejected on the basis of this requirement or if a cel with smaller eyes wins over one with larger eyes. Perhaps the requirement for this category should be simplified -- perhaps something like: the eyes must be the 'focal point' of the cel (or something a little more subjective than a finite number like 40%). That is unless you're planning to calculate the surface area of every entry to determine if the eyes actually comprise 40% of the total...

Just a thought ;).
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Jadeduo wrote:Can't Take My Eyes off You: Anime eyes, where the focus is the eyes of the character, must take up at least 40% of the cel space to be eligible.
I think that would be difficult to enforce, not to mention measure. Could we simply leave it that the character's eyes are the focus/most important part of the image? And let the voters decide?

[i.e, ditto the comment above, which wasn't visible when I added mine.]
Last edited by sensei on Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: New post added to thread after I began writing my post.
bulleta
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by bulleta »

I like the eye category. It's actually one I've always thought would be good. But I don't think a % is necessary. People will enter what they want, and if the eye isn't big/eye catching (HA HA HA) enough then it wont win. No need to over-complicate it. :)

Since I've already done the awards like... 3 times? 4 times? I'll bow out this year, I wouldn't have time to design a new award anyway and would probably just have to reuse my statuette from last year. You guys deserve better. :P But I'll be sure to enter, I always have fun with it!
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

Jadeduo wrote:Well two votes for eyes! That is very interesting but it makes sense whenever I am drawing in an anime style I like to say that everything is basically built off the eyes yes of course you do the basic geometric shapes but if you get the eyes wrong that can be a huge issue.

So we are cutting In a Sticky Situation and replacing it with.

Can't Take My Eyes off You: Anime eyes, where the focus is the eyes of the character, must take up at least 40% of the cel space to be eligible.

What do you guys think? Punkxprince and AnimeObsessed?

Thanks
Jadeduo
:jump
I this I'm missing something. Why does In a Sticky Situation have to be replaced? Is the Eyes category an optional one? Also, I agree it should be written as "Can't Take My Eyes off You: Anime eyes, where the focus is the eyes of the character." Leave it as that. Most of the categories are not that restrictive.
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Gahh! I guess I better respond before the internet explodes!

Okay so ixnay to the percentages and just go free for all I can get behind that. I think the eyes should definitely be the focus though!

As for getting rid of the categories, I think that we should stick the optional 6, because last year the in a sticky situation was just intended for last years contest as a one off. And replacing it with a new category just makes sense.

Also adding more categories might kill me, if we add new categories we cut old ones...

Thanks
Jadeduo
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

Jadeduo wrote:As for getting rid of the categories, I think that we should stick the optional 6, because last year the in a sticky situation was just intended for last years contest as a one off. And replacing it with a new category just makes sense.

Also adding more categories might kill me, if we add new categories we cut old ones...
Don't worry, the internet isn't going to explode on you, Jadeduo. 4 posts on the subject is nothing compared to the bickering wars in years past over stuff like this! :rollin Consider yourself lucky ;).

As for the # of categories -- for the past few years, this contest has struggled to even come close to making it a competition when the category list was shorter. Adding more (even if you allow people a greater number of entries) is only going to make that worse. Some categories are going to get eliminated if the category list gets too long (as well, counting votes and handling entries with the longer list is also more work on the organizers). On this point, I think Jadeduo has the right idea by eliminating some categories (especially past optional ones) and replacing them with new ones.

A little more food for thought from a past organizer: This community has shrunk since the Beta Awards started, so the entry pool is smaller than in the contests' heyday -- the longer list, more optional categories and the same cels floating around thanks to CG animation is going to severely limit things, too. A shorter category list, maybe with some new ones to replace some of those tired always-low-turnout (or always the same cels entered over and over) categories might help freshen things up & give people a reason to enter some old favorite cels in a new way!

I'll say this -- I've pretty much avoided even entering this contest anymore, but if that category list gets a refresh, you might tempt people like me to play again ;).
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

zerospace wrote:
Jadeduo wrote:As for getting rid of the categories, I think that we should stick the optional 6, because last year the in a sticky situation was just intended for last years contest as a one off. And replacing it with a new category just makes sense.

Don't worry, the internet isn't going to explode on you, Jadeduo. 4 posts on the subject is nothing compared to the bickering wars in years past over stuff like this! :rollin Consider yourself lucky ;).

As for the # of categories -- for the past few years, this contest has struggled to even come close to making it a competition when the category list was shorter. Adding more (even if you allow people a greater number of entries) is only going to make that worse. Some categories are going to get eliminated if the category list gets too long (as well, counting votes and handling entries with the longer list is also more work on the organizers). On this point, I think Jadeduo has the right idea by eliminating some categories (especially past optional ones) and replacing them with new ones.

A little more food for thought from a past organizer: This community has shrunk since the Beta Awards started, so the entry pool is smaller than in the contests' heyday -- the longer list, more optional categories and the same cels floating around thanks to CG animation is going to severely limit things, too. A shorter category list, maybe with some new ones to replace some of those tired always-low-turnout (or always the same cels entered over and over) categories might help freshen things up & give people a reason to enter some old favorite cels in a new way!

I'll say this -- I've pretty much avoided even entering this contest anymore, but if that category list gets a refresh, you might tempt people like me to play again ;).
Very well stated. That is what I was trying to say, but not as well. The categories that struggle to get even couple entries could be replace for new ones. I didn't say we have to keep all the old and get new ones too.
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Phew! That's a load off! Thanks so much Zerospace! So past organizers!? I have a question for you which categories have been tough to fill? And does anyone have any ideas for new categories???

Another thing I would like to say, I've never actually participated in the awards I think I might have tried once when I first starting collecting in like 2004/03 but did not even make the cut. I would like to make this as inclusive as possible so everyone has a chance!

Jadeduo
bulleta
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by bulleta »

I think cutting down the list is a great idea. You could even start from scratch as daunting as that would be. Of course some things should be represented, but others never preform well and could easily be omitted.

Z and I have been talking, and these are a few points we touched on:
I find Cute to be a redundant category (and I say this as someone who has entered it before). If it's a cute animal, you've got Creature, if it's a cute kid, you've got Children, if it's a cute outfit, Outfit, etc. etc... I'd cut it.
The emotions never do that great. Some better than others, of course, but I've always thought it would be nice to have like 2 emotion categories or so and then rotate them out every year. Like Insanity one year, Joy the next. It would probably be a nightmare for the organizer, though. I just thought maybe it might drum up interest in those categories if they weren't always there?
As much as it pains me because they're such different things, Robot & Vehicle really need to be combined again. They can't support their own categories. In fact, weren't they combined last time or in recent memory, or am I crazy? Maybe rename them Mech & Tech or something fun? I don't know if that opens up a whole new can of worms with guns and stuff. That would probably mess with Accessory then. I dunno...
I think Heroic could be killed as well. It can easily be absorbed into other categories. Group, Male, Female, Action...

If you cut some out, then that allows people to enter some of the other categories and fill them out more. If we want to keep this alive, then it needs to be freshened up! I know everyone wants everything to represented. And it's a nice thought, but past contests have shown by cut categories and low entry numbers in the niche categories that we just can't support this many. At least in my opinion. :^^: People always say to keep the extra categories because it's a fun contest and we give out more awards that way. But do we? If the categories get cut - no awards are given. If the turnout for a category is low, only 1 or 2 awards are given. So really, I don't think that we are. It is a fun contest, but I think if it was a little more streamlined - it'd be more fun and easier for organizers! :D I say this as someone who's done the awards. It's a TASK. Maybe that's why no one wants to do it, they look at that list and they're like NO #%*#)%*#)$% WAY! :P

edit: I forgot. I think Tranquility is another poor performer. :)
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

Here are the ones that got dropped from last years genga/sketch contest for lack of entries

Creature
Cute
Embarrassed
Vehicle

Death was changed to Injured/Death

Of the optional ones In a sticky situation and Worst seemed to get the most entries

ones from the genga/sketch that would not apply to the cel awards
Comic/Manga art
Shikishi/Signatures
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
sensei

Post by sensei »

In the last two Cel Contests, I see from looking at the threads (helpfully archived under "Annual Cel Contest" in the Index), the last ones to fill in 2011 were:
CUTE
INDUSTRY ART
INSANITY
VEHICLE
SETTEI
"Cute" did fill, but the others were eliminated.

The last ones to fill in 2013 were:
STANDARD categories:
Embarrassed
Fan Art
Insanity
Joy
Robot
Special Effect
Villainous

OPTIONAL categories:
Animated
Hentai (c'mon, pervy women, we know you are among us on Beta!)
In this case, all categories did fill. But, a post noted, even after the categories filled, these ones initially had four or fewer entries:
STANDARD
Cute
Embarrassed
Fan Art
Funny
Industry Art
Joy
Rage
Robot
Special Effect
Vehicle
Villainous

OPTIONAL:
Animated
Hentai
Settei
Might be worth a check to see which categories struggled in the Sketch contests to see if there is a correlation. These are also archived in the Index.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

This is the list with the least popular categories removed... Also in the sketch contest last year Death was changed to Death/Injured... I think that I would like to change the name as well...
Accessory - Emphasis on what the character is holding, using, swinging, playing, aiming. (C, R)
Action - Scenes of action, movement, motion. (C, R)
Background - No characters allowed. (C, P, R)
Blood on the Ground - Characters on the verge of death, or those that really are gravely injured, dying, or dead. (C, R)
Female - The fairer sex. (C, R)
Funny - Laugh out loud moments. (C, R)
Group - Art of two or more characters. (C, R)
Hanken - Art used for merchandise or other non-production special circumstances. Hankens are not allowed in any other category except hentai. (C, H, P, O, R)
Harmony - Unique combinations of line work and watercolor used to convey deep emotion and profound artistry. (C, P, R)
Heroic - White knight saves the day. (C, R)
Love - Kissing, hugging, cuddling, any displays of affection, innocent or physical – just not explicit. (C, R)
Male - Boys, men, guys, bishonen. (C, R)
Outfit - Best dressed, emphasis on clothes and costumes. (C, R)
Rage - Mad, angry, extreme agitation. (C, R)
Shocked - Stunned, horrified, utter dismay. (C, R)
Sorrow - Tear-jerkers, sadness. (C, R)
Tranquility - Characters who have found inner peace or a welcome opportunity to unwind. (C, R)
OP/ED/Eyecatch – Cels used only in these special animated sequences. These cels are not allowed in any other category. (C, R).

OPTIONAL Worst – Cels you wish you could unsee (C, R)
OPTIONAL Eyes on Me, Anime Eyes, love them hate them, they must be the focus of the cel.
OPTIONAL Novel Set-Up - Cel or cels with an UNMATCHING background that creates an original image. The background must be an original production item (not photocopied or Photoshopped).
Completely eliminated from last contests... These need changing! Come up with some new ones! I definitely like the idea of Robots and Vehicles merged into a category called Mech and Tech! Totally stealing that one!

Thanks so much to prior contest runners for a somewhat official list! now the fun work begins!

Completely Yanked
Cute - Adorable, precious, toothache inducing. (C, R)
Industry Art - Original artwork from industry artists, comic artists and mangakas. (C, P, O)
Insanity - Irrational delirium, totally crazy. (C, R)
Vehicle - Takes you where you want to go. (C, R)
OPTIONAL Settei - Characters, items or scenery. Model cels are not allowed in any other category. (MC, R)

Barely Filled
Creature
Embarrassed - Blushing, mortified, awkwardness, total humiliation. (C, R)
Fan Art - Made by you or another artist. (C, P, O)
Joy - Extreme happiness. (C, R)
Robot - Our mechanical friends. (C, R)
Special Effect - Power bursts, transformation effects, airbrushing, etc. (C, R)
Villainous - Archenemies, evil scientists, meanies, wicked bad guys. (C, R)
OPTIONAL Animated - Short sequences of animated artwork. (C, R)
OPTIONAL Hentai - Sexually explicit & nude. All pairings welcome! (C, H, R)

Thanks,
Jadeduo
JWR

Post by JWR »

Here are the totals of entries for the Genga/Sketch contest. The 2 with the most entires was Action & In a Sticky Situation with 7 each

Title Last Updated
.Optional Animated (5) 9/8/2013
.Optional Hentai 18+ (4) 9/7/2013
.Optional In a Sticky Situation (7) 9/7/2013
.Optional Settei (3) 9/7/2013
.Optional Storyboard (4) 9/7/2013
.Optional Worst (6) 9/7/2013
_Most Votes Received 2013 (1) 9/19/2013
Accessory (5) 9/8/2013
Action (7) 9/7/2013
Children (4) 9/4/2013
Comic/Manga Art (3) 9/7/2013
Female (4) 9/7/2013
Funny (3) 9/8/2013
Group (3) 9/8/2013
Hanken (6) 9/7/2013
Heroic (4) 9/7/2013
Injured/Death (5) 9/8/2013
Insanity (3) 9/7/2013
Joy (3) 9/7/2013
Love (5) 9/7/2013
Male (4) 9/9/2013
OP/ED/Eyecatch (3) 9/7/2013
Outfit (3) 9/8/2013
Rage (4) 9/7/2013
Shikishii/Signatures (5) 9/7/2013
Shocked (4) 9/7/2013
Sorrow (4) 9/7/2013
Tranquility (4) 9/7/2013
Villainous (3)
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I don't want to see Shikishi axed. That's my favorite category to enter. One of my friends solely collects shikishi (..except for artwork of a certain character he doesn't want to admit that he's quite fond of... :P ) and he won't be able to enter if that's eliminated.

If you want to make it an optional category, that would be fine.
bulleta
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by bulleta »

I'm glad to see Cute get cut. I really do find it redundant. :)