Annual Cel Contest 2014 - Best in Show Winners Announced!!!

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: Annual Cel Contest 2014 - Conversation Starter!

Post by sensei »

cutiebunny wrote:I don't want to see Shikishi axed. That's my favorite category to enter. One of my friends solely collects shikishi (..except for artwork of a certain character he doesn't want to admit that he's quite fond of... :P ) and he won't be able to enter if that's eliminated.
This would be a category for the Sketch Contest, right? I think things are getting a little confused by combining results from the cel and the sketch contests. Probably the two should be kept distinct, with Shikishi and Settei (and possibly Industry Art) being discussed with the Sketch Contest plans and not with the Cel Contest.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Hi All!

Cutiebunny! I thought you weren't going to participate ^_~ LOL Shikishi, is not part of the cel contest, it has always been part of the sketch contest... I would not be opposed to be combining the two. Which might be unfair because it is hard sometimes for the sketches to compete with the colorful cels. Of course in some instances the sketches can be even more spectacular.

Also from the looks of the list Shikishi had 5 entries which is more than a lot of the others the 3 categories in particular I would look to remove from the contest or change. That is if we were talking about the sketch contest! ^_^

BTW thanks JWR for posting that list it will be helpful, for anyone to take point on the sketch contest.

If someone wants to take point on that, and start the conversation, I would not be opposed, I am not a huge sketch collector, I have a pretty decent Saiyuki Burial collection, but other than that I have a few pieces here and there it is not really my focus. I am definitely more enamoured of the lovely painted plastic!

LOL Sensei, I was in the process of pointing that out! Industry Art could be definitely moved over to the Sketch contest! Anyone thinking of taking point on that? I do not have time right now :'( !!! In the meantime I will go zap Industry Art from the post.

Bulleta! Cute would most likely get cut, but let's start by asking what should we do instead?

I think Mech and Tech would be a great category combining both Vehicles and Robots.

I was thinking we need to change up the Hentai category to...

Nudity... Oh My! Nekked Characters, hentai, yaoi, yuri, or just a plain ole character in the buff!

or how about...

Are they or aren't they? Definitive proof that, that unofficial canon/fanon pairing is actually happening!

Let's get our thinking caps on! Any suggestions for new categories?

Thanks,
Jadeduo
:jump
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Poke
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Bueller... Bueller... Bueller...
majinuub
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by majinuub »

Haven't been an active participant in the awards, but I think hentai should remain the title of the category as it already tells people that most items in this section will be very NSFW. Also, this section doesn't necessarily mean just nudity and sometimes has entries of characters involved in some...situations.

Maybe renaming certain categories can help mix it up some every year.
Joy - Bliss
Male - XY
Female - XX
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

The way I feel about the Hentai category is I feel it is very Hetero pointed... I would like to include things that are relevant to the category, but I don't want to create new categories without cutting some old categories. Many people who have participated in the past have said in this post that if we could come up with some new categories we could drive some participants from lurkers who have not participated in a while. I was hoping to generate more noise on this for new categories, but I guess everyone got busy again :).

Jadeduo's Proposed Cats, Thoughts?!

Nudity... Oh My! Nekked Characters, hentai, yaoi, yuri, or just a plain ole character in the buff! - I got one no on this category just keep it Hentai...

Are they or aren't they? Definitive proof that, that unofficial canon/fanon pairing is actually happening!

Mech and Tech would be a great category combining both Vehicles and Robots.

Majinuub is proposing renaming a few categories... Thoughts?!

Joy - Bliss
Male - XY
Female - XX

Let's keep this conversation going, so I can get things going with getting the site ready for the voting/submission process!

Thanks,
Jadeduo
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

Maybe "Hentai" should be renamed "Hentai/Yaoi/Yuri" to seem less hetero oriented.

I still hate the Male and Female categories -- it's my personal feeling that they're too vague to judge. Perhaps there should be more specific categories each year pertaining to male-ness and female-ness would be nice. My suggestion for the Male & Female categories? Re-name them "Muscles" (for male) and "Curves" (for female). I usually have a hard time judging bishounen guys against the more buff, muscular ones, though ... perhaps bishies should have their own category? X|
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Okay, I did a count of the original contest post from last year, putting the total all together at 29 regular categories, and 6 for the optional category... With the cuts made from the categories not filled that brings us down to 20 regular categories and 3 Optional categories. So as a community we have to come up with the missing 12 categories, and there have been some suggestions to change up some of the original categories and split them off. I am trying to track the suggestions and so to date...

Majinuub is proposing renaming a few categories... Thoughts?!

Joy - Bliss
Male - XY
Female - XX

Zerospace is proposing a few things... Thoughts?!

Maybe "Hentai" should be renamed "Hentai/Yaoi/Yuri" to seem less hetero oriented. I could roll with this, as it seems to be where I was going with it as well, although I would love to see more suggestions.

Zerospace feels the Male and Female categories are still too generic so Zerospace is suggesting renaming these categories and possibly adding new ones...

Rename Male to - "Muscles"
Rename Female to - "Curves"

Zerospace also suggested a possible Bishies category, and then well my rebuttal for that if we do it should be Tomboys. So we would have a rebuttal to the general fantasized ideal of femininity and masculinity!

Jadeduo's Proposed Cats, Thoughts?!

Nudity... Oh My! Nekked Characters, hentai, yaoi, yuri, or just a plain ole character in the buff! - I got one no on this category just keep it Hentai..., One maybe from Zerospace sort of...

Mech and Tech would be a great category combining both Vehicles and Robots.

Tomboys!

Actual changes made so far... With proposed changes highlighted in red, and actual changes in bold.
Accessory - Emphasis on what the character is holding, using, swinging, playing, aiming. (C, R)
Action - Scenes of action, movement, motion. (C, R)
Background - No characters allowed. (C, P, R)
Bliss
Blood on the Ground - Characters on the verge of death, or those that really are gravely injured, dying, or dead. (C, R)
Female - The fairer sex. (C, R) (If Tomboys and Curves are added we will zap this category)
Curves
Tomboys

Funny - Laugh out loud moments. (C, R)
Group - Art of two or more characters. (C, R)
Hanken - Art used for merchandise or other non-production special circumstances. Hankens are not allowed in any other category except hentai. (C, H, P, O, R)
Harmony - Unique combinations of line work and watercolor used to convey deep emotion and profound artistry. (C, P, R)
Heroic - White knight saves the day. (C, R)
Love - Kissing, hugging, cuddling, any displays of affection, innocent or physical – just not explicit. (C, R)
Male - Boys, men, guys, bishonen. (C, R) (If Muscles and Bishonen are added we will zap this category)
Muscles
Bishonen

Mech and Tech
Outfit - Best dressed, emphasis on clothes and costumes. (C, R)
Rage - Mad, angry, extreme agitation. (C, R)
Shocked - Stunned, horrified, utter dismay. (C, R)
Sorrow - Tear-jerkers, sadness. (C, R)
Tranquility - Characters who have found inner peace or a welcome opportunity to unwind. (C, R)
OP/ED/Eyecatch – Cels used only in these special animated sequences. These cels are not allowed in any other category. (C, R).

OPTIONAL Worst – Cels you wish you could unsee (C, R)
OPTIONAL Eyes on Me, Anime Eyes, love them hate them, they must be the focus of the cel.
OPTIONAL Novel Set-Up - Cel or cels with an UNMATCHING background that creates an original image. The background must be an original production item (not photocopied or Photoshopped).
OPTIONAL Hentai/Yaoi/Yuri
OPTIONAL Are they or aren't they? Definitive proof that, that unofficial canon/fanon pairing is actually happening!
Even if we make all the proposed changes we are 7 less categories than last year's contest, ideas? No idea is too dumb, and I think some hilarity would help in this instance!

Keep them coming and double check this list for accuracy! Thanks guys!
Jadeduo
majinuub

Post by majinuub »

Curves
Tomboys
Muscles
Bishonen
I like these sections :) . Helps narrow down criteria.
milestogo
Anime Geek

Post by milestogo »

:badass

Okay people, we need something with a little umphf.... (however you spell that) how about some categories that are completely off the wall.

LETS TALK ABOUT THIS THROW OUT ANY IDEAS!!

Here are my ridiculous category suggestions please enjoy.

BACK DOOR BLISS:: the asses of anime in a non sexual way. (do you have a cel of someone's butt? do you feel it is not appreciated because its someones back, this is the category for you!)

FURRIES (have a cel of a furry friend? A dog, a cat, a ryo-ohki, a Kero..... you know ANYTHING with fur)

Itadakimasu! (Our favorite characters stuffing their faces with deliciousness)

Well.... I'm off to save the universe!!
Milestogo
GuyvarIII

Post by GuyvarIII »

If “Female” is changed for “Curves” and “Tomboys”, I think instead of splitting the category, you’d limit the types of cels that are covered by the category.

As an example:
In looking at what was entered into "Female" in the 2013 cel awards (http://celawards2013.zero-space.net/vie ... ?id=Female), I would assume “#2” would go to “Tomboys”, and “#5” and “#6” would go to curves. But, where would “#1”, “#3”, “#4”, and “#7” go? I guess you could add another kind of catch-all category, like “Faces”. But, that would be really hard to vote in.

Also, I don’t think “Curves” and “Tomboys” are mutually exclusive.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Yay some conversation I was beginning to think no one was interested! And I am so happy you posted Milestogo, after all my nagging ^_~ I will add your suggestions to the listing ^_^ I'm thinking the Bottoms of Anime would amuse me greatly!

Okay so to Guyver and Majin,

Guyver says no to the new breakdown of the Female category, but has no objections to the Male breakdown, so since we would break down the Male category (from the way the comments are going) what would you suggest for a split on the Female category? I'm not sure it would be fair to give the Men two new categories and leave out the Ladies!

Majin likes the breakdown and feels the categories are more specific and that way are an easier way to judge criteria.

Since I am a crazy person what does everyone think about putting together couple Villian categories, there does not seem to be one here... I also had a thought we could thieve the academy awards listing and run it that way... I want us to talk about this work on it together as a community. I am aware not everyone will be happy, but I am perfectly fine with a middle ground! So please everyone get involved!

Alright, so with all these thoughts in, here is what we are looking at right now. Remember Red are proposed changes, and just bold are final changes.
Accessory - Emphasis on what the character is holding, using, swinging, playing, aiming. (C, R)
Bliss
Blood on the Ground - Characters on the verge of death, or those that really are gravely injured, dying, or dead. (C, R)
Female - The fairer sex. (C, R) (If Tomboys and Curves are added we will zap this category) (3 votes for, and one against for cutting this and adding the new categories!)
Curves
Tomboys

FURRIES (have a cel of a furry friend? A dog, a cat, a ryo-ohki, a Kero..... you know ANYTHING with fur)
Hanken - Art used for merchandise or other non-production special circumstances. Hankens are not allowed in any other category except hentai. (C, H, P, O, R)
Harmony - Unique combinations of line work and watercolor used to convey deep emotion and profound artistry. (C, P, R)
Love - Kissing, hugging, cuddling, any displays of affection, innocent or physical – just not explicit. (C, R)
Male - Boys, men, guys, bishonen. (C, R) (If Muscles and Bishonen are added we will zap this category) (3 votes for cutting this category and creating the two new categories)
Muscles
Bishonen
Mech and Tech

Tranquility - Characters who have found inner peace or a welcome opportunity to unwind. (C, R)
OP/ED/Eyecatch – Cels used only in these special animated sequences. These cels are not allowed in any other category. (C, R).

OPTIONAL Eyes on Me, Anime Eyes, love them hate them, they must be the focus of the cel.
OPTIONAL Novel Set-Up - Cel or cels with an UNMATCHING background that creates an original image. The background must be an original production item (not photocopied or Photoshopped).
OPTIONAL Are they or aren't they? Definitive proof that, that unofficial canon/fanon pairing is actually happening!
OPTIONAL BACK DOOR BLISS:: the asses of anime in a non sexual way. (do you have a cel of someone's butt? do you feel it is not appreciated because its someones back, this is the category for you!)
Thanks again!
Jadeduo
Last edited by Jadeduo on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

Here are my thoughts on the old and new categories -

There should be some clarification on the Accessory category - the descriptions states "Emphasis on what the character is holding, using, swinging, playing, aiming". (This could also include wearing) This leads me to think the part of character (at least a hand, arm, foot, etc) should be in the cel somewhere. Past entries have only the item. The description should clarify if the character has to be included in the cel or not.

Didn't we just get rid of creature? What's the difference between that and Furries?

I like the new proposed categories (muscles, bishies, curves and tomboy) for male and female.

If we are looking for new categories, why are we not including "in a Sticky Situation" or something similar to it which was popular for the sketch contest?

Would it help fill up categories by dropping the OP/ED/Eyecatch category and have those cels included in the appropriate category? I believe these cels were isolated into their own category since they are higher quality, but this is another category where it's hard to judge. I would rather see the other categories get more entries that worry about whether a cel is "higher quality". The cel should be judged by how well it fits the category it in, not how much it cost.

Back Door Bliss - I'm not sure how many entries there are for this (a couple have appeared in the Funny category before). Instead of limiting it to only butts, maybe it should be changed to interesting backsides/back angles including the butt, back, hair, a backward/over the shoulder look, etc. that have a unique or interesting flare to get more entries.

Why make more optional category? Optional categories were set up so you didn't have to vote on them such as hentai. If you enter, you have to vote on all the categories expect the optional. This way you could skip categories not everyone would want to look at. I not sure why some of the others are optional.

Shouldn't "OPTIONAL Are they or aren't they? Definitive proof that, that unofficial canon/fanon pairing is actually happening!" also be in red (this last listing) since this is new and being considered?

I think Villian was mentioned somewhere recently....again didn't we just drop Villainous as a category? Maybe it needs to be reworked instead of dropped if someone is considering it again? Maybe have Creepy - someone/something from a nightmare.

Someone also mentioned Faces, but thought it was too vague - so maybe it's narrowed down to smiles, evil smirks, and expressions of the mouth. Or maybe this is combined with Itadakimasu! stuffing faces with deliciousness.

What about a categories for confrontations - this can include stare downs or standoffs.

Another possibly is determination - though maybe that is a crossover with heroic. Just a thought.

Ok....that's all I got.
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Okay here we go!
There should be some clarification on the Accessory category - the descriptions states "Emphasis on what the character is holding, using, swinging, playing, aiming". (This could also include wearing) This leads me to think the part of character (at least a hand, arm, foot, etc) should be in the cel somewhere. Past entries have only the item. The description should clarify if the character has to be included in the cel or not.
I'm not sure we need further clarification on the Accessory category, I think that making the character a requirement as part of the entry would make it too difficult for me to call when putting the entries together. I think that as long as the Accessory is the focal point of the cel I will count it as an entry, and then that will leave it up to the voters.
Didn't we just get rid of creature? What's the difference between that and Furries?
I kind of agree with you on the creature vs. furry thing however I think it might be good idea to add catgirls/boys as well to the Furry category will bring more people to enter the contest in that category that have avoided it in the past.
I like the new proposed categories (muscles, bishies, curves and tomboy) for male and female.
Added your vote to the count!
If we are looking for new categories, why are we not including "in a Sticky Situation" or something similar to it which was popular for the sketch contest?

Why make more optional category? Optional categories were set up so you didn't have to vote on them such as hentai. If you enter, you have to vote on all the categories expect the optional. This way you could skip categories not everyone would want to look at. I not sure why some of the others are optional.
In a Sticky Situation was added to the cel contest last year as a one off OPTIONAL category to get more people to enter. I'm not sure if I would want to do it again this year, I think we should actually, and this will tie into my response to the OPTIONAL Categories so I lumped them together. I think we should use the OPTIONAL categories to put these off the wall categories and change them to something new each year, that way we can keep interest up in the contest. So maybe we do these new categories and then, next year we can bring back In a Sticky Situation, because we don't see this category year after year.
Would it help fill up categories by dropping the OP/ED/Eyecatch category and have those cels included in the appropriate category? I believe these cels were isolated into their own category since they are higher quality, but this is another category where it's hard to judge. I would rather see the other categories get more entries that worry about whether a cel is "higher quality". The cel should be judged by how well it fits the category it in, not how much it cost.
This category was not dropped because there were enough entries that it was justified in keeping it, it is still popular enough I think, because these cels are very much loved by their owners and can be pricey so when they do come to market only those of the highest quality generally make it into private collections. Also these images are generally iconic to the anime they are from EVERYONE recognizes them so when you judge them against something else from even the same show in another category the more iconic piece will win, because it is recognized more readily.
Back Door Bliss - I'm not sure how many entries there are for this (a couple have appeared in the Funny category before). Instead of limiting it to only butts, maybe it should be changed to interesting backsides/back angles including the butt, back, hair, a backward/over the shoulder look, etc. that have a unique or interesting flare to get more entries.
Done, Done, and Done! I have no issues with fusing categories and this seems like a fine idea! :)
Shouldn't "OPTIONAL Are they or aren't they? Definitive proof that, that unofficial canon/fanon pairing is actually happening!" also be in red (this last listing) since this is new and being considered?
My bad I was editing the post on my iPad and it got all wonky... fixed!
I think Villian was mentioned somewhere recently....again didn't we just drop Villainous as a category? Maybe it needs to be reworked instead of dropped if someone is considering it again? Maybe have Creepy - someone/something from a nightmare.

Someone also mentioned Faces, but thought it was too vague - so maybe it's narrowed down to smiles, evil smirks, and expressions of the mouth. Or maybe this is combined with Itadakimasu! stuffing faces with deliciousness.
Yes, now that I think about it we did cut Villainous! I like Creepy! Adding to tentative list... Faces is definitely too vague, and I believe the suggestor thought so as well so I did not add it to the tentative list. I don't think we could mush Itadakimasu to mouths, but I would have no problem adding more mouth categories, but I think some of the emotion categories tend to cover those as well.

How about instead Maniacal Laughter?
Another possibly is determination - though maybe that is a crossover with heroic. Just a thought.
You are right Determination might be too close to Heroic, but I would love to hear more thoughts on this!

Thanks AnimeObsessed!
Jadeduo
Bliss
Creepy
Female - The fairer sex. (C, R) (If Tomboys and Curves are added we will zap this category) (4 votes for, and one against for cutting this and adding the new categories!)
Curves
Tomboys

FURRIES (have a cel of a furry friend? A dog, a cat, a cabbit, a catgirl/boy? a Kero..... you know ANYTHING with fur)
Male - Boys, men, guys, bishonen. (C, R) (If Muscles and Bishonen are added we will zap this category) (4 votes for cutting this category and creating the two new categories)
Muscles
Bishonen

Maniacal Laughter
Mech and Tech

OPTIONAL POSTERIORS:: the Backs of anime in a non sexual way. (do you have a cel of someone's butt?, the back of their head? the back of their knees? do you feel it is not appreciated because its someones back, this is the category for you!)
GuyvarIII

Post by GuyvarIII »

Jadeduo wrote:
Guyver says no to the new breakdown of the Female category, but has no objections to the Male breakdown, so since we would break down the Male category (from the way the comments are going) what would you suggest for a split on the Female category? I'm not sure it would be fair to give the Men two new categories and leave out the Ladies!
In looking at the entries from the 2103 awards (http://celawards2013.zero-space.net/vie ... hp?id=Male), I think “Muscles” and “Bishonen” do cover the category. Entry “#1” goes to “Muscles” and all the others go to “Bishonen”. A Bishonen just has to be pretty and young, so it covers many different kinds of shots.

On the other hand, “Curves” has to be full body, or waist up…
which is why I wrote:
If “Female” is changed for “Curves” and “Tomboys”, I think instead of splitting the category, you’d limit the types of cels that are covered by the category.

As an example:
In looking at what was entered into "Female" in the 2013 cel awards (http://celawards2013.zero-space.net/vie ... ?id=Female), I would assume “#2” would go to “Tomboys”, and “#5” and “#6” would go to curves. But, where would “#1”, “#3”, “#4”, and “#7” go? I guess you could add another kind of catch-all category, like “Faces”. But, that would be really hard to vote in.

But, if it’s an issue of gender fairness for fictional characters, I’ll argue that “Muscles” should be open to both sexes. Heck, I knew I should have collected “Iron Virgin Jun” cels.