Annual Cel Contest 2014 - Best in Show Winners Announced!!!

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Re: Annual Cel Contest - Voting Closed!

Post by Jadeduo »

I will be getting the results over the awards creator this evening. The surveys have been closed, and I think there are still some tie breaks that are going to break my brain. If I need help I will be posting to the forum, if anyone wants to help with this let me know and be on the forum this evening around 8 PM EST.

Thanks,
JD
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Okay I got everything over to the awards creator, AnimeObsessed! Except for the Action category, I was able to figure all of the categories with the tie break rules in place this one is a new one...

https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-H88YVF2V/

As you can see there is a clear winner for 1st place, however after that there are three pieces tied at 5 votes a piece.

Should we have a run off vote to figure out 2nd and 3rd, or should we give 3 Bronze or 3 Silver?

I put this to you guys! Let me know!

Jadeduo
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

I'd give the three silvers. If two were tied for the second slot, there'd be one gold and two silver (no bronze). In this case it seems a simple gesture of largesse to give one extra silver.
star-phoenix
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by star-phoenix »

I agree with sensei on this. Give how ever many ties for silver and skip the bronze.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Sounds good minimum fuss and everyone is happy! ^_^ Should be an easy call but I did not want to do it unilaterally, as no situation like this one has come up yet ^_^

Thanks,
JD
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Alright, the voting is done, the RS site is done, I put together the best in show survey and RS Wing for Best in Show, and the results are down to AnimeObsessed to churn out the lovely awards she made! I am basically done! I want to thank everyone who participated, voters and entrants!

I am now going to take a nap, from beta for while and try to figure out these crazy sketches I just bought! @_@

Jadeduo
:jump
Nehelenia
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Nehelenia »

I just want to say that you did a great job organizing this years contest :)
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Thanks Nehelenia, I appreciate it!

I'm not sure I would do it all myself again, because I am so betaed out right now lol. I think with this new format, I would like to have a few more helpers for the sketch contest. Someone to set up the RS site to announce the winners, and then maybe someone to monitor the Beta post for questions or concerns, and of course an awards creator, there is also room for someone to come in as a checker to make sure everything is accurate once it's done (I've made a few mistakes that other peeps had caught that I never would have caught on my own), and I can keep up with Survey Monkey but putting up both the RS site and monitoring this post is emotionally and physically exhausting at times.

However I think I should be rested and ready to go on the sketch contest with a possible start date January I am not sure... Let me know guys!

JD
Nehelenia
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Nehelenia »

I'd be happy to help however I can next time :)
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Thanks Nehelenia for checking up on my work! I appreciate it!

JD
:jumps
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

Jadeduo wrote:Thanks Nehelenia, I appreciate it!

I'm not sure I would do it all myself again, because I am so betaed out right now lol. I think with this new format, I would like to have a few more helpers for the sketch contest. Someone to set up the RS site to announce the winners, and then maybe someone to monitor the Beta post for questions or concerns, and of course an awards creator, there is also room for someone to come in as a checker to make sure everything is accurate once it's done (I've made a few mistakes that other peeps had caught that I never would have caught on my own), and I can keep up with Survey Monkey but putting up both the RS site and monitoring this post is emotionally and physically exhausting at times.

However I think I should be rested and ready to go on the sketch contest with a possible start date January I am not sure... Let me know guys!

JD
And now you understand why everyone used the web site I created for so many years to run the awards. :O It took most of the work out of the whole process ^^;. Unfortunately, there were issues in the end with folks potentially attempting to cheat by knowing where the "hidden" entry images were stored (a flaw I ended up fixing, but decided it was time to retire the thing anyways for a lot of reasons).

I had really hoped that someone else with some web programming skills would make something new, but I guess I'm the only one who was capable & willing to put the time in (and believe me, I spent probably a whole month of daily programming for 4+ hours to make the original site).

Good luck to all who participated in this year's awards! I'm usually around to provide input & perspective as a previous awards organizer, but when I retired my web site, I also kind of retired from participating as well. ;)
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

I took it on knowing it would be a lot of work, but I think definitely this is the better option, than to me creating a site from my limited knowledge of basic HTML. As the Survey's on Survey Monkey are a lot more secure, that way and I've tied it to one of my non-anime accounts so you would have to know me personally really well to get into it. It's also nice that it collates the results for each category in an easy to read pie chart, and also allows me to close out the survey the minute the voting is over so no one can go back in, and add votes after the results have been announced, and it also allows me to post the results once we are ready to announce.

It's just with this way there needs to be more than one person who is on the team. I am going to break the sketch contest into different roles, and will take point on the contest as overall organizer. However, an extra few pair of hands would help extensively.

1. Organizer - In Charge of Survey Monkey Surveys/Monitoring
2. RS Site Creator to announce/post awards. (Person will also be responsible for creating graphics for the awards site.)
3. Awards Creator, responsible for creating awards and uploading them to RS
4. Site Testing/Error Checker for both SurveyMonkey, Rubberslug, and will double check the math on all tie breaks, per the tie break rules set down by Beta.
5. Contest Post Monitor/Institutional Memory Person.

I think that this will make this easier for everyone involved especially me, as my gallery has been getting neglected. And there are other events that I was talking about with Sensei. That I think would be super fun to do and I would like to be able to participate in some fun events instead of organizing them as well.

JD
majinuub
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by majinuub »

zerospace wrote:Unfortunately, there were issues in the end with folks potentially attempting to cheat by knowing where the "hidden" entry images were stored (a flaw I ended up fixing, but decided it was time to retire the thing anyways for a lot of reasons).
Kind of funny and sad when you think about people cheating just to win a jpg image.

Also, I'll be happy to help with the sketch awards if you need an extra hand :) .
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

It is sad :'( On the plus side thanks for agreeing to be a Minion... I mean Volunteer! ^_~ Majinuub!

I'm really busy with personal stuff right now but I will try to find the time this week to put together a post for the sketch contest... Is there a role you would like to claim for your own before I post?

Thanks!
JD
majinuub
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by majinuub »

Well, I prefer doing no. 4 or 5 :) .