Annual Cel Contest 2014 - Best in Show Winners Announced!!!

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Annual Cel Contest 2014 - Best in Show Winners Announced!!!

Post by Jadeduo »

Hi All,

I've slogged through multiple posts on this, so like Sensei, I've posted the rules and categories that were agreed to the year before to make sure that everyone agrees, that these are the best categories, and that the rules are fair to all.

I've also decided to volunteer to take on this project myself organize, lead whatever is needed to make this go smoothly. I am currently testing out SurveyMonkey for this project I don't know how well it will go but I think it could be ideal it tracks individually all survey responses and will keep it to one survey to a computer, there is a way that a techie could get around this rule. However, because this is a time consuming event for all the organizers that have done this in the past I am counting on the honour system to take care of anyone who would try to cheat. I'm thinking about possibly adding to the bottom of the voting, a write in field where you put in your anime-beta handle or your vote will not be counted... (Let me know what you think about this!)

Also because I am using Survey Monkey there will be no need to worry about miscounts everything will well be documented, and I can make sure that I publish the results at the end of the contest for public view.

There is one area where I will need a volunteer and that will be an images person that would make the awards for each category, I can draw and paint a little, but for digital art I am not the person to be asking!

I also thought maybe we could add a new feature, Best in Show... Where we take all the winners of each category and run one final round of voting where we decide the best cel of the 2014 Contest!

Thanks,
Jadeduo!
:jump
FINALIZED LIST OF CATEGORIES:

(C) = Cel (H) = Hanken (MC) = Model Cel (O) = Other (P) = Painting (R) = Rilezu
Accessory - Emphasis on what the character is holding, using, swinging, playing, aiming. (C, R)
Action - Scenes of action, movement, motion. (C, R)
Background - No characters allowed. (C, P, R)
Bliss - Dreamy, joyful, heavenly, euphoric. (C, R)
Blood on the Ground - Characters on the verge of death, or those that really are gravely injured, dying, or dead. (C, R)
Creepy - Haunting, spooky, uncanny, unearthly, weird. (C, R)
Femininity - Delicacy, gentleness, maidenly (C, R)
Tomboys - For all those lovely ladies that are redefining what it means to be a woman! (C, R)
Funny - Laugh out loud moments. (C, R)
FURRIES (have a cel of a furry friend? A dog, a cat, a cabbit, a catgirl/boy? a Kero..... you know ANYTHING with fur) (C, R)
Group - Art of two or more characters. (C, R)
Hanken - Art used for merchandise or other non-production special circumstances. Hankens are not allowed in any other category except hentai. (C, H, P, O, R)
Harmony - Unique combinations of line work and watercolor used to convey deep emotion and profound artistry. (C, P, R)
Heroic - White knight saves the day. (C, R)
Itadakimasu! (Our favorite characters stuffing their faces with deliciousness) (C, R)
Love - Kissing, hugging, cuddling, any displays of affection, innocent or physical – just not explicit. (C, R)
Muscles - Beef, brawn flesh, sinew, tendon. (C, R)
Bishonen - Young men whose beauty (and sex appeal) transcends the boundary of gender. (C, R)
Maniacal Laughter - Certifiable, crazed, demented, laughter. (C, R)
Mech and Tech - Robots, vehicles, ships, cars, gundams, Oh MY! (C, R)
Outfit - Best dressed, emphasis on clothes and costumes. (C, R)
Rage - Mad, angry, extreme agitation. (C, R)
Shocked - Stunned, horrified, utter dismay. (C, R)
Sorrow - Tear-jerkers, sadness. (C, R)
Tranquility - Characters who have found inner peace or a welcome opportunity to unwind. (C, R)
OP/ED/Eyecatch – Cels used only in these special animated sequences. These cels are not allowed in any other category. (C, R).

OPTIONAL Worst – Cels you wish you could unsee (C, R)
OPTIONAL Eyes on Me, Anime Eyes, love them hate them, they must be the focus of the cel. (C, R)
OPTIONAL Novel Set-Up - Cel or cels with an UNMATCHING background that creates an original image. The background must be an original production item (not photocopied or Photoshopped). (C, R)
OPTIONAL Hentai/Yaoi/Yuri - The risque genres, nudity not a requirement however it must be from a Hentai, Yaoi, or Yuri anime with a higher maturity rating! (C, R)
OPTIONAL Are they or aren't they? Definitive proof that, that unofficial canon/fanon pairing is actually happening! (C, R)
OPTIONAL POSTERIORS:: the Backs of anime in a non sexual way. (do you have a cel of someone's butt?, the back of their head? the back of their knees? do you feel it is not appreciated because its someones back, this is the category for you!) (C, R)

ELIGIBILITY RULES

1.) You must be a registered member of Anime-Beta by the start of the submission process.
2.) You must physically own all artwork that you submit. You may not submit artwork which has been sold, or for which a sale is pending. Submitted artwork does not have to be posted in your online gallery.
3.) Submitted artwork may not include watermarks or any other type of 'tag' that could affiliate it with a gallery or owner.
4.) If you submit artwork for consideration in this contest, you must vote for all categories. The only exceptions are the optional categories (animated, hentai, settei). These categories are both optional to vote in and optional to submit artwork to. However, you submit artwork to an optional category, you must vote in that category.
5.) Even if you do not submit artwork, you may still vote in any or all of the categories.

SUBMISSION RULES

1.) Participants are eligible to enter the contest in 9 standard categories and 3 optional categories, for a total of 12 pieces of artwork submitted.
2.) While a participant may choose to enter 12 pieces of artwork, you are not required to submit twelve items. You may enter fewer items.

3.) In order to cut down on bandwidth usage, please limit your entries to the following dimensions:

Standard: 600 pixels wide, 300kb in size
Horizontal pan: 800 pixels wide, 300kb in size
Vertical pan: 800 pixels high, 300kb in size
Animated: same pixel restrictions as above, size limit is increased to 800k.

4.) Artwork which was previously entered into the Anime-Beta Awards is eligible for re-entry, provided that the winning piece has changed owners. If you choose to submit a previous winning piece, you must e-mail the contest coordinator before submitting it. This way, the organizer knows the piece has changed owners and that it is a qualified entry. If you do not e-mail the coordinator, your entry will be disqualified. Please check previous awards websites carefully.
5.) Sequence mates of previous winners will be allowed if there is a substantial difference between the two. Please inform the contest coordinator which piece you are submitting a sequence mate of. You may not submit a sequence mate if you also own the previous winning piece.
6.) Sequence mates in the same category are not permitted. Whoever submits the artwork first will be given a spot in that category. If you submit a sequence mate to an item that is already in a category, you will have the chance to re-submit another item in lieu of the repeated piece.
7.) If a category has only four entries, only #1 and #2 awards will be given. If a category has only three entries, only a #1 award will be given. Categories with fewer than three entries 24 hours before the beginning of voting will be eliminated. Contestants will have the chance to re-submit artwork to another category.
8.) Modification and/or enhancement of images is not permitted. The only exception is for oversized images requiring multiple scans. You may piece these scans together to make a complete image.
9.) When there are tie votes, awards will be given in the following ways:
two #1, no #2, one #3
one #1, two #2, no #3
one #1, one #2, two #3
two #1, two #3.

SCHEDULE:

October 1-15: Preliminary testing of on Survey Monkey, finalizing of categories, final changes, timeline and list of tasks approved.
October 16-31: Submit Entries
November 1-15: Viewing Period
November 16-30: Voting Period
Winners announced: December 15th

Best in Show Voting: December 16th – 31st
Winner Announced: January 1st

Last edited by Jadeduo on Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:07 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Punkxprince
Juuyaku - Executive

Re: Annual Cel Contest 2014 - Conversation Starter!

Post by Punkxprince »

I totally missed this thread when it went up a week ago! I am definitely up for participating in this as well. I like your idea of having a best in show category added. I personally wouldn't have any problem including my anime-beta handle on the survey. Also, I'm like you, I can draw and paint a little but digital art is beyond me so I wouldn't be any help with designing the awards.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

YAY ONE PARTICIPANT!!!

Throws CONFETTI!

WHERE IS EVERYONE??? IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE?!?!?! Echoes......

I need help establishing a timeline here, any thoughts would be welcome!

Thanks,
Jadeduo
Gabe
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Gabe »

What about to ask a admin/mod to make this one sticky?
Or add a link in one of your posts up there to create more attention on this one.

Good luck. ^_^
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

Gabe wrote:What about to ask a admin/mod to make this one sticky?
Or add a link in one of your posts up there to create more attention on this one.

Good luck. ^_^
This should now show as a global announcement if I did it right :D

I would be interested in partisapating in this years contest when it starts.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

I'll participate and help out as needed.

BTW, should we toss out the idea of having some "one-off" categories this time also? The "in a sticky situation" was one that was suggested as a temporary category to provide some variety to the contest. It worked as a category, and I think the idea of a one-time special category seems to add interest to the contest.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Thanks so much Gabe, and JWR for thinking of/and making this all sticky! It should help drive people here so we can get the conversation going! I'm glad that we have some willing participants, that is awesome! I've noticed in the past a lot of the contests have run on compressed timelines, I would like to spread things out a bit to allow for RL issues, etc. I would also like to start it at least a month or two after the Open House has been completed so they are not overlapping at all.

October 1-15: Preliminary testing of on Survey Monkey, finalizing of categories, final changes, timeline and list of tasks approved.
October 16-31: Submit Entries
November 1-15: Viewing Period
November 16-30: Voting Period
Winners announced: December 15th

Best in Show Voting: December 16th – 31st
Winner Announced: January 1st

This allows me time to recover from the Gallery Open House and works pretty well with my work schedule as far as things go on the organizing side of things and my work schedule.

As far as categories I am not sure about the optional categories, I thought maybe offering the Best in Show Option would be fun to put together, as a kind of bonus… May be we should pick one new category, use either one OPTIONAL option or create one that is absolutely new. Also I would not be averse to cutting some of the categories…

Also anyone that would like to volunteer for, marketing, organizing, and award creation let me know! Marketing and award creation right now need to most help! Organizing in the early stages are not as important… Also a good way to market right now… Might be the Rubberslug Feedback project… IJS ^_^

Let me know what you all think!
Thanks,
Jadeduo
Punkxprince
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by Punkxprince »

I agree with sensei, I think there should be some new one off categories added to the "optional" list. According to these rules, everyone can submit to 6 standard categories and 6 optional categories. Currently there are only 6 optional categories and not everyone is going to be able to submit to all 6 because some people may not have any hentai, settei, etc. So adding unique one-off categories would add something new to the contest as well as allow people to submit to more categories.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Instead of creating more categories which could be a logistical nightmare I think maybe the submission ratios could be adjusted...

1.) Participants are eligible to enter the contest in 9 standard categories and 3 optional categories, for a total of 12 pieces of artwork submitted.
2.) While a participant may choose to enter 12 pieces of artwork, you are not required to submit twelve items. You may enter fewer items.

Also looking through the optional categories they seem to be either expensive or quirky. Very few collectors have great collections in both of these areas... I am aware of how expensive ops end cels eye catch are as well as hanken. So I think this would be a better option than adding more categories.
Gabe
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Gabe »

@Jadeduo
You're welcome. ^_^
GoalieZero
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by GoalieZero »

YAY!!! Count me in! Thanks Jade for setting all this up! :bow
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Hi Everyone!

Okay I put the proposed rule changes in red! As well as the tentative schedule up at the top of the post. Please let me know what you think about the new rule, I think it is more than fair. If anyone is interested in any of the open spots, please let me know!

Right now I am still looking for someone to make the awards for this year! Anyone that is digitally inclined let me know!

Since the in a sticky situation category was the last contests optional category created specifically for that year, would we like to replace it with a brand new category this year? Any ideas? Please share!

Thanks,
Jadeduo
Punkxprince
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by Punkxprince »

The rule change looks good to me. As for possibly replacing the precious "in a sticky situation" category I thought it might be neat to add a category that relates to eyes. JWR recently had a post on here talking about and showing off various anime cels that have particularly beautiful and/or expressive eyes so I think an eye related category might be interesting. What y'all think?
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

I like the idea of adding new categories such as one with or about eyes. The current categories have been listed for several years so new ones might create some more interest in this contest. I also like Best in Show better than Most Votes.

The "Show Me....thread has some good examples of possible new categories such as cels associated with music or something shiny or glowing or maybe a current category can be tweaked a little to may it more specific such as Best Kiss rather than Love. I know this is going backward, but it may be good to change it up a bit. These are only examples....with the proposed timeline I believe there is time to make some changes to the categories.
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Well two votes for eyes! That is very interesting but it makes sense whenever I am drawing in an anime style I like to say that everything is basically built off the eyes yes of course you do the basic geometric shapes but if you get the eyes wrong that can be a huge issue.

So we are cutting In a Sticky Situation and replacing it with.

Can't Take My Eyes off You: Anime eyes, where the focus is the eyes of the character, must take up at least 40% of the cel space to be eligible.

What do you guys think? Punkxprince and AnimeObsessed?

Thanks
Jadeduo