Annual Cel Contest 2014 - Best in Show Winners Announced!!!

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: Annual Cel Contest - Voting Closed!

Post by sensei »

I could probably take charge of #2. I enjoy customizing my own gallery design, and it would be an interesting challenge to work up something "sketchy" for this kind of gallery.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Re: Annual Cel Contest - Winners Announced!!!!

Post by Jadeduo »

Thanks for volunteering Sensei and Majinuub! The positions are yours if you want them! I am going to put the sketch contest post together soon I promise!

However I have some happy news! AnimeObsessed has finished posting the awards to RS, I went in and double checked them this morning... She was having compy issues! I figured why the heck not should I post early, and give more time to the best in show voting?!?!?

So congratulations to all the winners! The quality was epic this year and I want to thank Nehelenia for doing some site testing for me, AnimeObsessed for creating this years awards! And everyone who participated this year!

http://betaawards2014.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp

Also make sure you go vote for Best in Show which places all the first place winners in each category against each other! Go vote for your favorite! The voting link is at the top of the contest page, voting works the same way! You MUST put your Beta ID in the vote for it to count! I would also recommend that you go in on the RS page and look at bigger images for each piece the winners pieces are all truly amazing!!

Congrats!
JD
:jump
Rekka Alexiel
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

Oh cool! Thanks so much to everybody who had their hand in making this year's contest happen and run smoothly! And congrats to all the winners and participants, too! It was fun to see such a cool mish-mash of artwork in these categories! <3
kathpatty
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by kathpatty »

Thanks for all the hard work !!! :badass
The site looks gorgeous :cheers
A Man Who Views The World The Same At Fifty As He Did At Twenty Has Wasted Thirty Years Of His Life. - Muhammad Ali
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Thanks Rekka, I appreciate the thought!

Thanks Kathpatty! I'm glad you like the site... My tastes tend toward either crazy colorful or insanely monochromatic... So I went with crazy colorful this time around!

If everyone hasn't forgotten Best in Show is now going to have almost 3 full weeks of voting to decide the best piece this round. Even if you did not get around to voting in the initial sketch contest, you should totally vote in the Best in Show Category!

JD
sensei

Post by sensei »

Woah! :puzzled :jaw :nuts

I picked up two firsts ... and in busy, competitive categories, no less. It took me a while to realize this, as I started with the entries I made to undersized categories (really had high hopes for "Posterior" ... but not this year). But given the overall quality of entries, and especially the Sailor Moon and DBZ entries this time around, I'd have been happy to get my usual scattering of Thirds. So it really was a jolt to come across these awards.

My sincere thanks to my supporters, and especially to those who like me are absolutely boggled by the character design of Liza/Raiza/"Bad Girl" in Hero Communication's Condition Green OVA. And many thanks to Jadeduo who really busted her own posterior to get this event off the ground, moving smoothly, and brought to a happy conclusion!
Punkxprince
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by Punkxprince »

I second and third what everyone before is me saying. Thank you Jadeduo for going above and beyond with managing this and also to anyone else who had a hand in helping out as well. This was my first time participating in this contest so I was not expecting too many wins but I was shocked to see 3 first places! It's funny how things turn out. After seeing the competition, there were some of my entries I was sure would place that didn't and others that I wasn't sure about did haha. It is just interesting to see how everyone's tastes differ. Anyways, I had fun! Thanks again!
Katrina
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Katrina »

Wow... a took a second place! That's so awesome. ^_^ (I like how Haruka and Makoto tied in the Tomboy category.)

Thanks again for putting this together. It's cool to see so many of the cels I voted for take a win.
Book + Baby
http://katrinasforest.blogspot.com My adventure of trying to write a novel with a newborn.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Thanks Sensei! I was VERY happy you took home a couple of awards! I especially love your Furry entry ^_^ Although I'm not going to lie I was rooting for the Pink shirt Vegeta! I would like to say I also felt the quality of entries was up this year and was VERY happy about it.

Thanks PunkxPrince! You and GuyvarIII really made out this year, and Guyvar was super worried about the entries because all the pans were getting automatically shrunk by SurveyMonkey. Which we could not solve whatsoever! It was driving both of us nuts!

Thanks Katrina! I was also very happy to tie up with Haruka in the Tomboy category, although Rekka totally deserved the win in that one I was rooting for one of us Moonies to take first ^_^ I was actually super amused by the dichotomy. I know everyone is aware and if you aren't you haven't looked at my collection but the majority of my SM collection is Makoto, and I couldn't help myself entering her into both the Feminity and the Tomboy categories because she is both! It also super amused me that I took a silver in both, which goes to show I do know my favorite character best! ^_^

Congrats again to you three!

And if you haven't yet, don't forget to go vote for best in show!

JD
kamidake
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by kamidake »

Wow, I could not believe how many I won, seriously! :jaw

I second what everybody else said, thank you JD for putting in all this work, and of course anybody else who helped out. This was the first time I entered in the awards, (usually I just vote) and I had a lot of fun. :D Winning helped of course. Muahahahaha! :crackup
"If ifs and buts are clusters and nuts, we'd all have a bowl of granola." -- Stephen Colbert
http://ix.rubberslug.com/
majinuub
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by majinuub »

sensei wrote:Woah! :puzzled :jaw :nuts

I picked up two firsts ... and in busy, competitive categories, no less. It took me a while to realize this, as I started with the entries I made to undersized categories (really had high hopes for "Posterior" ... but not this year). But given the overall quality of entries, and especially the Sailor Moon and DBZ entries this time around, I'd have been happy to get my usual scattering of Thirds. So it really was a jolt to come across these awards.
Same here Sensei. I managed to place 1st in not 1 but 2 competitive categories :jaw .

Major kudos to Jadeduo and AO for this years contest.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

Thanks you Jadeduo and Animeobsessed for organizing and hosting the event and making the awesome trophies!

I agree with others that this year's entries had improved quality overall compared to previous contests. I remember complaining about market dryness when it comes to diversity sometime ago, now I wonder how true that it.

Like everyone else I'm quite surprised about the amount of trophies I was able to pick up this time around, luck was on my side and so are the fellow voters with great taste :D Its kinda hard to quit from this hobby as is, hopefully I have strong will-_-"
GuyvarIII
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by GuyvarIII »

Thank you JD for running a great contest, /no1 and for repeatedly trying to help with those weird resizing issues. :nuts
Thank you AnimeObsessed for the awesome dagger trophy design. 8)
And, thank you to everyone who voted!

This is where I'd tell the shows where all my entries came from...
But, no need for that this year.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

You are VERY welcome Kamidake! ^_^ You did great, and this was also my first time entering the awards as well! So I was also pleasantly surprised!

Thanks for the kudos Majinuub! My fave entry of yours was the Gohan that won Tranquility - it was totally my zen place too!

Your welcome theultimatebrucelee, I also love trophies AnimeObsessed made they are so kick a** and pretty at the same time! It's really interesting the market I feel like in the last couple years is both hot and cold at times. I've been able to pick up pieces that I couldn't find years ago, that are just suddenly available on the market! It's all kinds of awesome!

Your welcome GuyvarIII, I had no problem trying to get those figured out for you. I wish SurveyMonkey was more accommodating, but it did not seem to affect your pieces at all so kudos to you!

Cool deal, so everyone don't forget to vote for your favorite piece in the Best in Show Voting! Let me know if you have any issues!

With gratitude!
JD
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Thanks to JD and animeobsessed for all their hard work. I also want to thank everyone who voted for my entries. Totes appreciated!