Anime-Beta Annual Cel Contest 2016!!! WINNERS ANNOUNCED!!!

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
xan

Re: Anime-Beta Annual Cel Contest 2016!!!

Post by xan »

Well, that makes sense. This is my first year, I wanted to enter last year but was too late and anime-beta was closed for registration at the time

Oh yeah, something else I wanted to ask, can one email be sent for all submissions, or is a separate email needed for each submission?
In Search Of Seichi

An anime cel gallery
nowherekid85
Kamisama - God

Post by nowherekid85 »

xan wrote:Well, that makes sense. This is my first year, I wanted to enter last year but was too late and anime-beta was closed for registration at the time

Oh yeah, something else I wanted to ask, can one email be sent for all submissions, or is a separate email needed for each submission?
Hey you're a Floridian too!!

You can send everything in one email. What a lot of people do is make the file names for each pic the category that they are going into. And then in the body of the email just put all of the required information in one list. It saves space in the inbox and helps make it less likely to accidentally skip an entry!
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

TBH, I'd like to see Hanken included in all categories. For a couple reasons.

First and foremost is that most people who participate in this contest do not own a hanken, or at least, one in which they haven't already entered that hasn't won some award. I seem to recall that hanken is one category that struggles for entries every year. I think you could replace it by something like a revival of the "Children" category and get more entries overall.

Secondly, just like shikishi was when it had its separate category, what specifically in the judging criteria? In other categories, you usually would just by best emotional portrayal/execution or something similar. But with so many art styles as well as the variety of hanken artwork available, selecting the best example becomes difficult. There are really detailed hankens with gorgeous backgrounds that were used once and then there are generic hankens whose images could easily be slapped on to trading cards, chopsticks, food products and whatever else needed it.

I don't think the argument regarding "time intensiveness" applies when you're allowing shikishi to be entered in most categories because I can argue that some full colored shikishi take just as much time as highly detailed hankens, depending on the artist and the level of detail involved. I'm not sure if anyone uses Youtube to watch artists draw, but a mangaka by the name of Kaworu Watashiya has been uploading videos of the drawings she's been completing for a recent Kickstarter. There's a clock in each video, and if you watch the clips, it takes approximately 4-6 hours for her to finish each drawing.
xan

Post by xan »

nowherekid85 wrote:
Hey you're a Floridian too!!

You can send everything in one email. What a lot of people do is make the file names for each pic the category that they are going into. And then in the body of the email just put all of the required information in one list. It saves space in the inbox and helps make it less likely to accidentally skip an entry!
lol florida born and raised, unfortunately ^^" just too hot for me
In Search Of Seichi

An anime cel gallery
nowherekid85
Kamisama - God

Post by nowherekid85 »

That's pretty much what I was thinking, in regards to the hanken. You don't have much of a judging criteria when you lump them all together. It makes more sense to allow them in all categories, like shikishi. How about the model cels too? Allow them in all of the categories as well? Then you can add the new categories I mentioned (or others, if anybody has more good suggestions) and keep the entry number the same.

xan wrote: lol florida born and raised, unfortunately ^^" just too hot for me
Not FL born, but FL raised since before I was 2, and I would LOVE to be able to leave and escape the endless oven that this state is!!
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

OMG, more FL peeps we need to totes meet up! ^_^ I'm hoping sometime next month I will be going to the Food and Wine Festival I just have to work out when. I will update this post better when I get a minute later tonight I have been sick this week so when I get home I'm like *Puppies! Bed! Snore...*
"Any idea is a good idea except the non-happy ones. Those we push down deep inside where you'll never, ever, ever, EVER find them!" - Princess Unikitty

http://www.jadeduo.net Please Stay By My Side, In My Dreams - Sailor Moon, DBZ, Cardcaptor Sakura, Saiyuki, Gundam Wing, Sekai Ichi Hatsukoi, Junjou Romantica, Fullmetal Alchemist, Bleach, and Tsubasa...

Actively Searching for: Saiyuki Burial (Anything), CCS Episodes 65-67, and Primo Sailor Jupiter Cels

Anime-Beta Annual Cel Contest - Grand Poobah, 2014, 2015, and 2016
Anime-Beta Annual Sketch Contest - Grand Poobah, 2015
Anime-Beta Annual Sketch Contest - Survey Wench, 2016, 2017

Still lurking around Beta, but most days you can find me in the Cel Chat... http://cels-chat.herokuapp.com/ Come Join US!
Also rebooted the FB page, you can find it here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/348416495554600/
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

OMG my BUNNY! I totes missed your very well reasoned argument! *has shame* :bawl

I wish more people would kind of weigh in on it. Yes you are correct in that Shikishi are equal and sometimes better than Hanken in time spent on detail etc...

Both are one of kind art, and sometimes used on merchandise as well.

But the reason we added in Shikishi in the first place was to make it more inclusive to the peeps who had basically stopped collecting cels and had started collecting shikishi instead. Yes the Hanken category struggles every year, but somehow we always manage between 4-5 entries, and while each piece is different in it's tone and content, I still quite enjoy choosing my favorite each year based on the artistry of the piece alone.

How about we strike a compromise? Since no one else has volunteered an opinion, and we both have different opinions ^_^, making it a 1 to 1 vote. If we can't fill out the Hanken category, I will let the Hanken owners know and see if they would like to move it into one of the other categories before we go into voting?

I think this at least partially addresses your concerns and we can talk about it again next year ^_^ I will bring it up in the contest thread right in the beginning so hopefully more peeps will weigh in!
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Okay list of official categories have been edited! If one of the Mods or Admins Could make this sucker go Global that would be great!

I start accepting entries tomorrow!
nowherekid85
Kamisama - God

Post by nowherekid85 »

Jadeduo wrote: How about we strike a compromise? Since no one else has volunteered an opinion, and we both have different opinions ^_^, making it a 1 to 1 vote. If we can't fill out the Hanken category, I will let the Hanken owners know and see if they would like to move it into one of the other categories before we go into voting?
I put my opinion in there as well already.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Re: Anime-Beta Annual Cel Contest 2016!!! ACCEPTING ENTRIES!!!

Post by cutiebunny »

I think there should have been more of a notice about the contest. 9 days from the initial announcement to "Yay accepting entries" is too rushed. Yeah, the contest happens every year. But considering the frequency of people posting on this board, 9 days is hardly enough time to announce the contest and talk about any rule changes or additional categories. I would really like "Children" to be featured this year. Been a couple years since it's been included, so by now there should be some entries for it.
xan

Post by xan »

Hankens do tend to outshine most cels, like a douga does over most genga, and cels do over most sketches. Hanken tend to be in a league of their own, because they are made to be looked at for one reason or the other.
In Search Of Seichi

An anime cel gallery
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

So 2 v 2 on hanken I think that the compromise is good for now, I'll give it two weeks if we don't have any entries for the hanken category, 2 weeks into accepting entries we will pull the hanken category and add it to all categories as an option for submittals.

I would be cool folding Children into the Chibi Category, like I suggested earlier into the thread and see if we get submittals either way.

I apologize that this feels rushed to some Peeps, however in my defense, I have held the contest for the last couple years at the same time every year, discussion usually about two weeks at the end of September, receiving entries for the whole month of October, voting in November, and winners announced mid December.

As for marketing and getting the word out, I also posted to the Cel Chat Group, both Facebook Pages (that are pretty active still, Anime Cel Collectors - started by LWK, and Dragonball Cel Collectors - while a good chunk of them are European they are VERY active, I am always getting notifications on these groups on my FB page), and Rubberslug the very same day.

In the past I did it a month out and people lost interest, about two weeks into the rules/categories period, and then by the time it was time for entries some of the people that were active in the categories thread didn't even submit entries at the end of the day. So it's like more time, and people lose interest, less time and no one had time to look at it, I'm stuck between a rock and hard a place I'm sure you guys can see that.

And something that everyone should take into account is that is very hard to please everyone, and this contest can be emotionally and physically exhausting for the runners (Bunny you've listened to my complaining before :l ), which is why so many contest runners have been burnt out, you have even been a victim of this before. This is mostly why I've handed the Sketch contest mostly over to NoWhereKid85 (Tarakatsuki), because running two contests is exhausting.

I don't know, I guess I'll stop complaining, no one wants to hear me whinge... :hurt:

So far I have one set of entries in!! *so exciting* But nothing as of yet from anyone else... I will go poke all the other threads!

JD
xan

Post by xan »

Jadeduo wrote:OMG, more FL peeps we need to totes meet up! ^_^ I'm hoping sometime next month I will be going to the Food and Wine Festival I just have to work out when. I will update this post better when I get a minute later tonight I have been sick this week so when I get home I'm like *Puppies! Bed! Snore...*
Meeting up would be awesome! ^^ Though it wouldn't be for very long, I live bout 2 hours from both of ya and have responsibilities close to home that pretty much prevent me from have a social life *shrug*
In Search Of Seichi

An anime cel gallery
nowherekid85
Kamisama - God

Post by nowherekid85 »

xan wrote: Meeting up would be awesome! ^^ Though it wouldn't be for very long, I live bout 2 hours from both of ya and have responsibilities close to home that pretty much prevent me from have a social life *shrug*
Do you ever go to conventions?
xan

Post by xan »

nowherekid85 wrote:
xan wrote: Meeting up would be awesome! ^^ Though it wouldn't be for very long, I live bout 2 hours from both of ya and have responsibilities close to home that pretty much prevent me from have a social life *shrug*
Do you ever go to conventions?
Just to metro con back in 2014 I think. I don't do well in crowds on my own lol...
In Search Of Seichi

An anime cel gallery