Anime-Beta Annual Cel Contest 2016!!! WINNERS ANNOUNCED!!!

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Anime-Beta Annual Cel Contest 2016!!! WINNERS ANNOUNCED!!!

Post by Jadeduo »

Hi All!

It's that time of year again! And also the time of year to start suggesting new categories and yanking old ones! So let's get the discussion started!

Turn out for last year was pretty awesome-sauce for the Cel Awards! Let's see if we can top the Cel contest from 2015! So I will be doing everything the same way I did for all the contests I have run. All voting will be through Survey Monkey, and entries will be sent directly to the contest e-mail which me and the Site Creator Nowherekid85 (Tarakatsuki) Will both have access to, we will both be putting the entries up separately as time permits so we will be counting on everyone to double check their entries when the sites get posted during the viewing period!

As with previous years, I will still need a volunteer for the Awards Creator Position, and Site Tester. Awards creator will have two weeks to put together the awards after I have calculated the results from the surveys with the help of the Cel Awards Team. Site Tester will basically be the first person to make sure the sites are all working and that we didn't miss any entries before we go live they will need to be available the day before and the day after the site goes live for the viewing period for a few hours to make sure the Survey Sites match the RS Contest site.

Volunteer Positions: OPEN AND FILLED POSITIONS!
Awards Creator - Brandon_T
Site Creator - Nowherekid85
Site Tester

(C) = Cel (H) = Hanken (MC) = Model Cel (O) = Other (P) = Painting (R) = Rilezu (SH) = Full Color Shikishi

Accessory - Emphasis on what the character is holding, using, swinging, playing, aiming. (C, R, SH)
Action - Scenes of action, movement, motion. (C, R, SH)
Background - No characters allowed. (C, P, R, SH)
Bliss - Dreamy, joyful, heavenly, euphoric. (C, R, SH)
Blood on the Ground - Characters on the verge of death, or those that really are gravely injured, dying, or dead. (C, R, SH)
Chibi/Superdeformed - Characters drawn in a semi-deformed, comical style (C, R, SH)
Femininity - Delicacy, gentleness, maidenly (C, R, SH)
Fight - The grudge matches that we all know and love! (C, R, SH)
Tomboys - For all those lovely ladies that are redefining what it means to be a woman! (C, R, SH)
Funny - Laugh out loud moments. (C, R, SH)
FURRIES (have a cel of a furry friend? A dog, a cat, a cabbit, a catgirl/boy? a Kero..... you know ANYTHING with fur) (C, R, SH)
Group - Art of two or more characters. (C, R, SH)
Grumpy - The Grouches aka Resting Bitch Face... (C, R, SH)
Hanken - Art used for merchandise or other non-production special circumstances. Hankens are not allowed in any other category except hentai. (C, H, P, O)
Heroic - White knight saves the day. (C, R, SH)
Itadakimasu! (Our favorite characters stuffing their faces with deliciousness) (C, R, SH)
Love - Kissing, hugging, cuddling, any displays of affection, innocent or physical – just not explicit. (C, R, SH)
Muscles - Beef, brawn flesh, sinew, tendon. (C, R, SH)
Bishonen - Young men whose beauty (and sex appeal) transcends the boundary of gender. (C, R, SH)
Mech and Tech - Robots, vehicles, ships, cars, gundams, Oh MY! (C, R, SH)
Monochrome/Weird Coloring - Those scenes that require you to see the world through a different lense... Must be oddly colored, black and white, or shades of all the same color. (C, R, SH)
Outfit - Best dressed, emphasis on clothes and costumes. (C, R, SH)
Rage - Mad, angry, extreme agitation. (C, R, SH)
Shocked - Stunned, horrified, utter dismay. (C, R, SH)
Sorrow - Tear-jerkers, sadness. (C, R, SH)
Tranquility - Characters who have found inner peace or a welcome opportunity to unwind. (C, R, SH)
OP/ED/Eyecatch – Cels used only in these special animated sequences. These cels are not allowed in any other category. (C, R)
Villainy! - Love evil things? Show off your Villainesses and Villains, only requirement is they must be irredeemably evil! (C, R, SH)

OPTIONAL - Eyes on Me, Anime Eyes, love them hate them, they must be the focus of the cel. (C, R, SH)
OPTIONAL - Novel Set-Up - Cel or cels with an UNMATCHING background that creates an original image. The background must be an original production item (not photocopied or Photoshopped). (C, R, SH)
OPTIONAL - Hentai/Yaoi/Yuri - The risque genres, nudity not a requirement however it must be from a Hentai, Yaoi, or Yuri anime with a higher maturity rating! (C, R, SH)
OPTIONAL - POSTERIORS - the Backs of anime in a non sexual way. (do you have a cel of someone's butt?, the back of their head? the back of their knees? do you feel it is not appreciated because it's someones back, this is the category for you!) (C, R, SH)
OPTIONAL - Fan Cel - Back by popular demand! A cel produced by someone not in the industry, must be fan made could be done by yourself or any fan artist! (C, R, SH)
OPTIONAL - Model Cel - Requested Test category... The cels used to model your favorite characters for the Cel Painters! (MC)
OPTIONAL - Sexy - Male, Female... Whatever! Whatever gets your motors revving! This I know is a highly subjective category we shall test it out and see how it goes! (C, R, SH)

ELIGIBILITY RULES

1.) You must be a registered member of Anime-Beta by the start of the submission process.
2.) You must physically own all artwork that you submit. You may not submit artwork which has been sold, or for which a sale is pending. Submitted artwork does not have to be posted in your online gallery.
3.) Submitted artwork may not include watermarks or any other type of 'tag' that could affiliate it with a gallery or owner.
4.) If you submit artwork for consideration in this contest, you must vote for all categories. The only exceptions are the optional categories (animated, hentai, settei). These categories are both optional to vote in and optional to submit artwork to. However, you submit artwork to an optional category, you must vote in that category.
5.) Even if you do not submit artwork, you may still vote in any or all of the categories.

SUBMISSION RULES

1.) Participants are eligible to enter the contest in 9 standard categories and 3 optional categories, for a total of 12 pieces of artwork submitted.
2.) While a participant may choose to enter 12 pieces of artwork, you are not required to submit twelve items. You may enter fewer items.
3.) In order to cut down on bandwidth usage, please limit your entries to less than 1 MB in size a good rule of thumb is if it doesn't upload to RS it will not upload for the contest!
4.) Artwork which was previously entered into the Anime-Beta Awards is eligible for re-entry, provided that the winning piece has changed owners. If you choose to submit a previous winning piece, you must e-mail the contest coordinator before submitting it. This way, the organizer knows the piece has changed owners and that it is a qualified entry. If you do not e-mail the coordinator, your entry will be disqualified. Please check previous awards websites carefully.
5.) Sequence mates of previous winners will be allowed if there is a substantial difference between the two. Please inform the contest coordinator which piece you are submitting a sequence mate of. You may not submit a sequence mate if you also own the previous winning piece.
6.) Sequence mates in the same category are not permitted. Whoever submits the artwork first will be given a spot in that category. If you submit a sequence mate to an item that is already in a category, you will have the chance to re-submit another item in lieu of the repeated piece.
7.) If a category has only four entries, only #1 and #2 awards will be given. If a category has only three entries, only a #1 award will be given. Categories with fewer than three entries 24 hours before the beginning of voting will be eliminated. Contestants will have the chance to re-submit artwork to another category.
8.) Modification and/or enhancement of images is not permitted. The only exception is for oversized images requiring multiple scans. You may piece these scans together to make a complete image.
9.) When there are tie votes, awards will be given in the following ways:
two #1, no #2, one #3
one #1, two #2, no #3
one #1, one #2, two #3
two #1, two #3.

SCHEDULE:

October 1-31 - Submit Entries
November 1-5 - Viewing Period
November 6-30 - Voting Period
December 14 - Winners Announced!

How entries are submitted:

E-mail them to abcelawards2015 at gmail.com

And include with each entry the following:

1. Your Beta User ID
2. What Category you are submitting to.
3. Character Name
4. Anime

Keep in mind the most recent Anime TV Show I have watched is Puella Madoka Magica, so I can basically figure out SM/DBZ and some other old school animes however I am not familiar at all with the newer shows. So make this easy on me please label everything as asked! Everyone that has ever run these things knows they are a time suck so the faster I can get done with admin tasks the smoother this will go.

JD
Last edited by Jadeduo on Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:41 am, edited 11 times in total.
"Any idea is a good idea except the non-happy ones. Those we push down deep inside where you'll never, ever, ever, EVER find them!" - Princess Unikitty

http://www.jadeduo.net Please Stay By My Side, In My Dreams - Sailor Moon, DBZ, Cardcaptor Sakura, Saiyuki, Gundam Wing, Sekai Ichi Hatsukoi, Junjou Romantica, Fullmetal Alchemist, Bleach, and Tsubasa...

Actively Searching for: Saiyuki Burial (Anything), CCS Episodes 65-67, and Primo Sailor Jupiter Cels

Anime-Beta Annual Cel Contest - Grand Poobah, 2014, 2015, and 2016
Anime-Beta Annual Sketch Contest - Grand Poobah, 2015
Anime-Beta Annual Sketch Contest - Survey Wench, 2016, 2017

Still lurking around Beta, but most days you can find me in the Cel Chat... http://cels-chat.herokuapp.com/ Come Join US!
Also rebooted the FB page, you can find it here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/348416495554600/
nowherekid85
Kamisama - God

Re: Anime-Beta Annual Cel Contest 2016!!!

Post by nowherekid85 »

Can we change the date for when the winners are announced? Since I will need to go through and add the places and winners names to all of the cels that won something, on the day that we announce them? December 16-18 is the Holiday Matsuri convention and I will be 100% unavailable during that time lol. Holiday Battousai, JD.... :flasher:

:wink:

Maybe announce winners on the 14th or something? Or the week before?
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Holiday Battosai??? *faints dead* :pimp was it good for you? :pimp

Sure sounds fine to me... I usually like to announce on a weekend, but at that point I am mostly done so yeah as long as we can cajole an awards creator to a slightly compressed timeline that's fine! ^_^;;

JD
"Any idea is a good idea except the non-happy ones. Those we push down deep inside where you'll never, ever, ever, EVER find them!" - Princess Unikitty

http://www.jadeduo.net Please Stay By My Side, In My Dreams - Sailor Moon, DBZ, Cardcaptor Sakura, Saiyuki, Gundam Wing, Sekai Ichi Hatsukoi, Junjou Romantica, Fullmetal Alchemist, Bleach, and Tsubasa...

Actively Searching for: Saiyuki Burial (Anything), CCS Episodes 65-67, and Primo Sailor Jupiter Cels

Still lurking around Beta, but most days you can find me in the Cel Chat... http://cels-chat.herokuapp.com/ Come Join US!
Also rebooted the FB page, you can find it here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/348416495554600/
nowherekid85
Kamisama - God

Post by nowherekid85 »

Oh yeah I forgot that the awards creator will need time to create the awards lol.....

Two weeks should be fine though, but if they end up needing more time, maybe the 21st instead? First day of winter!
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

LOL There are always a few categories that are basically a lock early so they could get started a few days early, hopefully we can find a volunteer happy with either. I can always cut voting a little short. Dates are still a little flexible till the contest starts then we are locked in!

So any volunteers for Awards Creation! ^_^
nowherekid85
Kamisama - God

Post by nowherekid85 »

I really liked the Fight and Grouchy categories we added to the sketch contest this year. What about doing them for this contest as well? So we don't have the same exact category lineup again?
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

I would be cool with adding categories what should we cut in it's stead then?

Also I've talked about this with a few people, and should we think about creating a badge or something for the volunteers to put in their AB signature or on their site? And should we also create a I voted in all categories badge? To incentivise voting on the pervy categories?

earl
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by earl »

Can't wait! Would it be possible to add a 'model cel' category? There are things like color models that don't really fit in the Hanken category... but that's the only category where model cels seem to be permitted.
Come join us in the Animation Art Collectors slack chat!: http://cels-chat.herokuapp.com/
nowherekid85
Kamisama - God

Post by nowherekid85 »

Jadeduo wrote:I would be cool with adding categories what should we cut in it's stead then?
IDK, maybe look at the ones that tend to be the least popular or the ones. Or if anybody wants to just randomly list categories they nominate to go?
Trudy
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Trudy »

I would love a cel category for cels with just kids (10 and under).

Can't wait to participate this year! Already trying to figure out how I'm going to get these cels scanned in. :)
Actively Collecting:
Escaflowne, Gokinjo Monogatari, Infinite Ryvius, Record of Lodoss War, Revolutionary Girl Utena
Looking for select cels from:
CardCaptor Sakura, Daria, Fushigi Yuugi, Gall Force, Gokinjo Monogatari, Gunsmith Cats, Jubei-chan the Ninja Girl, Kaito St. Tail, Magic Knight Rayearth, Oniisama E, Please Save My Earth, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Looking for production artwork from:
Ashita no Nadja, Full Metal Panic!, Juuni Kokki, Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, NANA, Princess Tutu
nowherekid85
Kamisama - God

Post by nowherekid85 »

So maybe just add the additional categories and allow us to enter a total of 13 categories instead of 12? 13 is a much better number anyway! :D

Or if you want to swap out some categories in their place, maybe either bliss/tranquility, itadakimasu, hanken, or monochrome? Just random thoughts, what does everyone else think? Entries will start in a week so better figure it out now!
xan

Post by xan »

Can one submission be used in multiple categories? If so, does that affect the number of what can be submitted?
In Search Of Seichi

An anime cel gallery
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

@Xan - You can't use one piece for multiple categories, one piece can only be entered in one category and everyone gets the same amount of possible entries to keep the odds even.

@tarakatsuki - I don't think we should cut Hanken, as that is the only category other than hentai that you can enter a hanken, but I would be willing to talk about cutting some of the others.

@Trudy - There used to be a children category but it never really filled out, and got cut constantly, I would recommend if you have a piece it get entered into Chibi! ^_^

@earl - I think adding a Model/Settei Cel is a good idea maybe to the optional categories as a test out, I'm counting on you for an entry and see if you can get two more peeps to join you!
nowherekid85
Kamisama - God

Post by nowherekid85 »

Just because I'm curious and wondering, is there a reason why it's better to have a category for just hanken cels, vs allowing them in all of the other categories? Since the categories are mostly based off of emotions or specific subjects, it just seems like it would make more sense to allow hanken in all of them too.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Mostly because hankens if allowed in every category are very hard to compete against a regular production piece generally. A lot more time and care are put into them by the artist than a regular production cel generally, so it was decided to create a seperate category so they could compete against each other.