Categories - 2010 Sketch Awards

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

Oooh! How about another optional catagory like "Worst Sketch"? It'd be a place where you can submit artwork that looks worse than your average "under five" kid could do.

It's been *eons* since we've had a worst catagory, and I think it might be fun to bring back.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

cutiebunny wrote:It's been *eons* since we've had a worst catagory, and I think it might be fun to bring back.

The issue in the past is that with limited number of regular entries, no one wanted to 'waste' an entry on their worst looking piece of artwork. So entries became fewer and fewer, until finally no one was entering.

However, if there is enough support, I'll be happy to add it back.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

cutiebunny wrote:Oooh! How about another optional catagory like "Worst Sketch"? It'd be a place where you can submit artwork that looks worse than your average "under five" kid could do.

It's been *eons* since we've had a worst catagory, and I think it might be fun to bring back.
A little disapointed in your last Mandy purchase?????????? J/K :run
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
iceman57
Senpai - Elder

Post by iceman57 »

Wasn't the contest for fun ?...

THE ART OF ANIME Cultural Exhibition
HD video trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS51tjKlhB0
Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/theartofanime
GuyvarIII
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by GuyvarIII »

What artwork is acceptable for the “Industry Artâ€
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

ReiTheJelly wrote:The issue in the past is that with limited number of regular entries, no one wanted to 'waste' an entry on their worst looking piece of artwork. So entries became fewer and fewer, until finally no one was entering.
That's why I mentioned that maybe it should be an optional category since it kinda goes against the 'best' theme of the awards. It would just be something for fun.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

GuyvarIII wrote: hand inked and/or painted comic pages,
inked and/or painted comic and novel covers,
preliminary pencil comic layout sketches,
other conceptual artwork from animated and non-animated shows and movies,
other rough artwork for comics, novels, and advertisements,
limited edition comic and novel prints (serigraphs, etchings, lithographs, and giclees),
printed artist portfolios,
convention sketches and shikishi of both animated and comic book characters,
and any artwork that can't be defined as an animation genga, douga, or hanken, and doesn’t fit with the other listed contest sections?

If so, what direct effect, if any, will this category have on the cel awards?
GuyvarIII,
I will make a note that comic art also belongs in this category, as it has no other home. You are correct; in the past, comic art has been placed with shikishi and autographs.

At the risk of making myself unpopular with certain collectors, I would like to remind people that this is the ANIME-Beta forum. While comic art will be welcome in this contest, I would like participants to remember that this is not a comic art collectors forum, so many of the voters will not be familiar with comic characters. This could potentially affect the number of votes your piece receives.
limited edition comic and novel prints (serigraphs, etchings, lithographs, and giclees),
printed artist portfolios
No reproductions of any kind are allowed in the sketch awards. This includes reproduction animation sketches, lithographs, etchings, prints, etc.
Cordelia

Post by Cordelia »

Was there a previous category on embarrassment?
GuyvarIII

Post by GuyvarIII »

ReiTheJelly wrote: I will make a note that comic art also belongs in this category, as it has no other home. You are correct; in the past, comic art has been placed with shikishi and autographs.
Thank you for having a place for the comic/manga art to go. However, in the last sketch awards, manga/comics were separated from shikishi:

http://basketch09.zero-space.net/viewen ... =Shikishii

http://basketch09.zero-space.net/viewen ... ComicManga

While neither of those sections were very large, there was a drop in both the number of manga/comic and shikishi entries when they were combined in last year’s cel awards as “Industry Art“:

http://awards2009.angelic-lair.com/industry.htm

Before the sections are combined again, I think you might want to have a poll. Because I believe more members collect shikishi than comic/manga art, but they might not want to have their sketches done for fans jugded against published pages and covers.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Re: Categories - 2010 Sketch Awards

Post by ReiTheJelly »

ReiTheJelly wrote:Suggestions should be made by May 15th, in order to provide the team time to deal with the website.
Today is the last day to put forth suggestions and/or to second existing suggestions.