Categories - 2010 Sketch Awards

Area to post questions, comments, and discussions regarding this annual contest.
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Categories - 2010 Sketch Awards

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Here is the current category list for the 2010 Sketch Awards. If there are any category suggestions or alterations, please voice them in this thread. All suggestions will be taken into consideration.

Suggestions should be made by May 15th, in order to provide the team time to deal with the website. Thank you! :) :)

(S) = sketch
(H) = Hanken
(MS) = Model Sketch
(P) = Painting (must be on paper)
(A) = Autograph
(Ill) = Illustration
(St) = Storyboard
(Sh) = Shikishi

* indicates optional categories

Accessory - Emphasis on what the character is holding, using, swinging, playing, aiming. (S)
Action - Scenes of action, movement, motion. (S)
Background - No characters allowed. (S)
Children - Youth, babies, kids. (S)
Creature - Animals, monsters, pets, catgirls, demons. (S)
Cute - Adorable, precious, toothache inducing. (S)
Death/Dying - Characters in the final throes of death, or those that have already passed away. (S)
Fan Art - Made by you or another artist. (S, P)
Female - The fairer sex. (S)
Funny - Laugh out loud moments. (S)
Group - Art of two or more characters. (S)
Hanken - Art used for merchandise or other non-production special circumstances. Hankens are not allowed in any other category except hentai. (H)
Heroic - White knight saves the day. (S)
Industry Art - Original artwork from industry artists, comic artists and manga-kas. (Sh, Ill, A)
Insanity - crazy, nuts, psychotic, loony (S)
Joy - Extreme happiness. (S)
Male - Boys, men, guys, bishonen. (S)
Outfit - Best dressed, emphasis on clothes and costumes. (S)
Rage - Mad, angry, extreme agitation. (S)
Robot - Our mechanical friends. (S)
Romance - Kissing, hugging, cuddling, anything non-explicit. (S)
Shocked - Stunned, horrified, utter dismay. (S)
Sorrow - Tear-jerkers, sadness. (S)
Special Effect - Power bursts, transformation effects, etc. (S)
Tranquility - Characters who have found their inner peace. (S)
Vehicle - Cars, boats, planes, bicycles, et cetera. (S)
Villainous - Archenemies, evil scientists, meanies, wicked bad guys. (S)

Animated* - Short sequences of animated artwork. (S)
Hentai* - Sexually explicit & nude. All pairings welcome! (S, H)
Settei* - Characters, items or scenery. Settei are not allowed in any other category. (MS)
Storyboard* – the initial draft of how the sequence should run. (St)
Worst* - The ugliest, most poorly drawn sketch you own. No random body-part submissions, please!(S)
Last edited by ReiTheJelly on Sat May 22, 2010 1:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

So, the "Sh" in the Industry Art category refers to Shikishi? /hmm

I didn't see it listed above.
kathpatty
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by kathpatty »

Suggestion for an entry...
How about an entry for fighting, such as characters injured/victorious or bloodied from fighting?
They would not fit in any current section as they are not dying or heroic, necessarily...
A Man Who Views The World The Same At Fifty As He Did At Twenty Has Wasted Thirty Years Of His Life. - Muhammad Ali
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

Is it just me or is that list quite a bit shorter than before? I wouldn't mind seeing the insanity category return, unless ... it was never terribly popular to begin with. ;)
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

zerospace wrote:Is it just me or is that list quite a bit shorter than before?
I didn't notice that until now. Thanks for pointing it out.

The last few awards have had about 30 different standard categories.
Angelic-Lair
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Angelic-Lair »

zerospace wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing the insanity category return, unless ... it was never terribly popular to begin with. ;)
We can't speak to other years, but last year in the cel awards it wasn't popular at all; and it was cut due to a lack of entries. :(
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

Angelic-Lair wrote:
zerospace wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing the insanity category return, unless ... it was never terribly popular to begin with. ;)
We can't speak to other years, but last year in the cel awards it wasn't popular at all; and it was cut due to a lack of entries. :(
I wondered about that... I just remember a few years where it had a good number of entries. Oh well!
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

Only other one dropped is Harmony.

All in All the list looks fine to me.
(Already starting to comb thru gallery for canidates to enter :P )
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

I pulled this list from last year's awards, so if anything was missing...it wasn't there last year, either. :?

Kathypatty: your fight scenes would most likely belong in the Action category.

JWR: From what I've seen on Rubberslug, harmony sketches look just like everything else. I'm not sure how the entry checkers would know that the sketch belonged to a harmony cel, or not. Some of the harmony sketches on RS (there are very few) have lines drawn over the top. But they could easily be mistaken for special effects lines (glass, wind, magic power, etc.)

Examples: http://sui.rubberslug.com/gallery/maste ... 234&Page=1
Sui Kune has two Hotaru harmony cels. Take a look at the associated sketches.

It just doesn't seem viable enough to warrant its own category. But if enough folks feel otherwise, I'll gladly add it back to the list.

Insanity has been added back to the list.

Cutiebunny -- yes, (Sh) is shikishi. I was just really tired when typing, I guess. I'll go make that correction. Thanks for catching it!
JWR

Post by JWR »

ReiTheJelly wrote:

JWR: From what I've seen on Rubberslug, harmony sketches look just like everything else. I'm not sure how the entry checkers would know that the sketch belonged to a harmony cel, or not. Some of the harmony sketches on RS (there are very few) have lines drawn over the top. But they could easily be mistaken for special effects lines (glass, wind, magic power, etc.)
I agree it would be hard to check, I would expect that catagory should only be used for the cel awards.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

ReiTheJelly wrote:I pulled this list from last year's awards, so if anything was missing...it wasn't there last year, either. :? !
The cel awards list? Because, the Insanity category was definitely in last year's sketch awards. :)

Anyways... I'm not really picky on categories. I do agree that fight scenes would fit in the Action category, though.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

zerospace wrote:I wondered about that... I just remember a few years where it had a good number of entries. Oh well!
I think really good insanity cels/sketches are hard to come by. It's hard to show pure insanity based only on the image. Usually the character ends up looking more angry or upset than insane.

I think Dillandau acted insane so well visually that it's pretty difficult to compare to that performance (visually). :D
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

I'll second that, I'm always looking for insanity cels/sketches but uh..where to start :D
JWR

Post by JWR »

theultimatebrucelee wrote:I'll second that, I'm always looking for insanity cels/sketches but uh..where to start :D
You look here :P http://ryan.rubberslug.com/gallery/mast ... esID=39763
Too bad they would not fit due to being classified as Industry Art.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

http://ryan.rubberslug.com/gallery/inv_ ... mID=300250

well I can tell thats insanity right away, it even saids so on the picture :D

I think a clear insanity cel/sketch would have char be mad but happy at the same time, like mad expression with a really big evil smile or laughing, making both expressions at the same time, ah thats definitely crazy alright lol that or a mad face drooling :)